Rate the last film you watched

Comments

• ARGH. What is with cinemas doing their absolute best to ruin the film you've just paid to watch by showing half of it in the merchandise adverts beforehand? Insanity.
    The cinema-going experience in the UK is so stunningly awful, it really is.

• Such a return to form after Question of Sport.

Did Solace get that nickname? Must've missed that!

Prometheus: 8/10
    I had little hype for it and to be honest I wasn't that interested. It's just nice when a sci-fi horror comes along (love Event Horizon) which is why I decided to watch it. Loved it. Going in with no expectations and no idea on the story may have worked out in my favour with this one. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 3dtv in January and this is top of my list of 3d blu-rays to pick up.
    Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter: 6/10
    Was fun - which is probably my best description of this one. It's also a nice relief over the steam building up again for Twilight :(
    Good visuals although they seem to be covering a lot up with clouds/dust. Not as good as Wanted but I did enjoy it more than Day/Nightwatch (Timur's other films).
    Rec: 8/10
    Gave it another watch with some friends last week and it still holds up. I think I enjoyed it more on my first viewing - alone and in the dark. Will be giving the sequel another watch at the weekend I expect.

• Did Solace get that nickname? Must've missed that!

A film critic, Mark Kermode, used it (can't claim credit for this myself)

• ARGH. What is with cinemas doing their absolute best to ruin the film you've just paid to watch by showing half of it in the merchandise adverts beforehand? Insanity.
    The cinema-going experience in the UK is so stunningly awful, it really is.

Wait, so are the ads about merchandise that are based on the film? Or is it trailers for the film that ruin it?

• Wait, so are the ads about merchandise that are based on the film? Or is it trailers for the film that ruin it?

Both as far as i'm concerned, with big releases it's nigh on impossible to avoid some spoilers; and some people don't tend to understand how much more intriguing and exciting it is to watch a film you have never seen anything about before. i.e. I managed to avoid all the Prometheus trailers/ promos and i actually loved it, well worth the nearly 2 year wait.

• Wait, so are the ads about merchandise that are based on the film? Or is it trailers for the film that ruin it?

My particular problem with Skyfall is that there were 3 or 4 adverts for products beforehand (the usual Omega watches, fancy TVs etc), each of which used footage from the film and hinted at or gave away parts of the plot. I accept that's how those adverts work, but playing them before the film to a captive audience of people about to watch it.. more than a little bit lame.
    Trailers I'm fine with.. it is just about possible to avoid those still. Seeing the trailers to other films (which you don't want to spoil) before the film you came to watch can be annoying, but slightly less so, and a lot more necessary for the film marketers.
  • Interesting, I wonder what the marketing motive is for placing footage from a movie in a commercial in front of the movie your audience is about to watch( @-) ). Sounds very frustrating.

Both as far as i'm concerned, with big releases it's nigh on impossible to avoid some spoilers; and some people don't tend to understand how much more intriguing and exciting it is to watch a film you have never seen anything about before. i.e. I managed to avoid all the Prometheus trailers/ promos and i actually loved it, well worth the nearly 2 year wait.

I might try doing this with Red Dawn. I always seem to fall to temptation and watch a couple prelease clips though.
  • Skyfall - 9/10
    Best Bond movie so far as far as this cat's concerned. don't particularly want to spoil anything for anyone but the final act is fantastic.
  • Skyfall - 9/10
    The best kind of action movie is the kind that makes you feel like a total badass just by watching it. Skyfall is one of those. Absolutely brilliant Bond film. Best in ages, and finally a really great villain again in Javier Bardem. Bringing the Craig Bond films back to a classic-era feeling is the best thing that could have happened to the franchise, and it completely rejuvenated the series after the lackluster Quantum of Solace.
    Just brilliant in all regards. Bring back Sam Mendes and Roger Deakins for all remaining Daniel Craig films, please.
  • edited November 2012

I shan't say more for fear of ruining it, though I will warn you: if you've successfully avoided all trailers/coverage in the hope of not ruining the best bits, you should also take some earplugs and a blindfold for the pre-film product placement ads.

Oh god, I know EXACTLY what you mean. You can tell they've ruined it for you when there's not a SINGLE Coca-Cola advert in a cinema.
    Oh and my rating: 9.5/10
    I think everyone has already covered my points on it :D
    I agree that the new bad guy was probably the best in AGES.
    Something I noticed, there were SO many references to older films, and well, what happened at the end, and really throughout the film, it would be fitting for it to be the last Bond film ever, so I was super happy when we found out he'd return. :D
  • edited November 2012
    Bit late but...
    Dark Knight Rises:6/10
    I kept waiting for it to pick up and it never did.
    Brave: 8/10
    I thought it was really good, actually.
    And just to rate a really old movie that I've seen a million times but still think deserves alot...
    Hocus Pocus 1,000,000,000/10
    Gotta love that movie.

• Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter: 6/10
    If you've seen a trailer for this film you know exactly what you'll be getting. Hell, if you read the title you know what you're getting. The concept is daft, and the film knows it, never taking itself even vaguely seriously.

Sorry for double posting but I had too. I agree completely. The only reason I saw this was because I read the book, which I though would be horrible, but was actually very historically accurate (minus the vampires of course) and actually made a lot of sense. Like when Abe becomes president, he does so because he is too old to fight vampires physically. And the Civil War is started because southern slave owner are mostly vampire, who buy slaves so that they can feed on them without any issues at all. Good book. Ok movie.
  • Skyfall 9/10
    This one brought my hope back from Quantum - Like others have said, Javier Bardem really is a formidable heavy to James Bond, and felt like a real challenge for Bond.
    Indie Game 8/10
    Great looking documentary on a subject I know nothing about (programming). What was great for me is that I have never heard of the games in development that they follow (Fez, Super Meat Boy & Braid) so watching it to the end for me, gave it a little extra because I really wanted to know what happens in the end.
  • edited November 2012
    The Truman Show 9/10
    I really enjoyed this one. Really creative, great story, excellent acting.
  • The Amazing Spider-Man - 5/10
    The general plot was pretty solid, but it was disappointing on pretty much every level beyond that. It just never came together.
  • Lockout: Good throw back to 80s action scifi. Kind of an Escape from New York rip off but, not really. 8/10
    Men in Black 3: Suprisingly good. Better than part 2, I think. 8/10
  • Life of Pi: 9.5/10
    I haven't read the whole book, but I knew the overall gist of it, and this film doesn't disappoint even a little bit. It's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen; so subtle and moving, with some mind blowing cinematography, and acting and directing to die for. In 3D, it's really something else. Previously the best 3D I had seen was in Prometheus, but Life of Pi beats it by a little by being truly creative and artistic and not just using the depth well. I really can't say enough about this, and if you haven't read the book or seen the film, you won't want me to go into detail about the plot specifics, but it is a masterpiece with only one or two very minor missteps that stop it from getting a perfect rating. Go see it. This will be nominated for best picture, I have no doubt.
    Ps. If you aren't familiar with the source material, and you're a parent, read up on it before deciding to take your kids to see it because it's a 3D movie with animals and rated PG. It is not a movie for kids, and is in fact quite heavy and cerebral. There were some parents in my screening with two very young kids who were clearly traumatized and confused for the duration.
  • Sounds good. I found the trailer quite captivating, but also at risk of being overly poncey. Intrigued to see it.
  • edited November 2012
    Some people seem to have found it a bit on the overly poncey side it would seem; it definitely has a lot of philosophical and spiritual aspects, but none of that was enough to turn me off from it. It's all quite important in telling the story, I thought. YMMV. :)
    Edit: now that I think more closely, there's even a scene early on where Pi's atheist father says that while it's good to look at things from many perspectives, you can't choose all of them, and the best way to go is by using logic and reason and making up your own mind. That's almost telling the audience some ground rules before they get too far, and it's a good way to go into the film, I think.
  • edited March 2013
    Red Dawn: 6/10
    Thought over my initial review a bit and decided, eh. It was a decent action movie. As in the action was good and everything else was meh. I am very patriotic, so in some ways I liked it more than most would. Point is, it is a decent movie. I liked it. Maybe someone else will. Most probably won't.
  • The Invisible War 10/10
    A very compelling documentary about the staggering amount of rapes and sexual assaults in the Armed Forces. Shocked, sad and ashamed.
  • Looper: 9/10
    Can't say much that hasn't already been said, but this is Rian Johnson's best film by far, and definitely one of my favorites of the year. If you haven't seen it, you should. The trailer doesn't do it justice at all. Fantastic film.
  • I saw Madea's Witness Protection Program the other day. Hilarious. 8.5/10
    I also saw Lockout last night. Really pathetic story wise. Cliche and predictable. 3/10.
  • edited December 2012
    Wrecking Ralph. 9/10. Awesome movie. Disney is still alive and kickin'. Cool story, nice characters, funny gags, and funky looks. Loved it.
    Previously...
    Hotel Transilvania. 10/10. This move ROCKS. Gendy Tartakovski rules. I've always been a big fan of his work, and this movie just continues on his kick a** tradition. I started laughing 3 minutes into the movie and didn't stop until it finished (I didn't like the ending musical piece, but that's a matter of taste, I guess...).
  • Prometheus 6/10 - that '6' is entirely for the visuals and general production quality, which is some of the best I've ever seen. The daft script unfortunately mostly ruins what could have been a classic horror/sci-fi film. All my problems with the film can be boiled down to the moment when the experienced space scientists/mercs take off their helmets in an alien, hostile, mostly unknown environment. Dur.
    Shame 9/10 - superb character piece with brilliant performances (particularly the waiter) and a pleasing lack of desire to provide any solutions to the characters' problems.
  • edited November 2012

Prometheus 6/10 - that '6' is entirely for the visuals and general production quality, which is some of the best I've ever seen. The daft script unfortunately mostly ruins what could have been a classic horror/sci-fi film. All my problems with the film can be boiled down to the moment when the experienced space scientists/mercs take off their helmets in an alien, hostile, mostly unknown environment. Dur.

I was completely disappointed in Prometheus.
    Has anyone else read the original script? Before it was re-written to have less connection to Alien?
    I found it an excellent read. I would have preferred this over the movie any day. It is actually sad how close they are... but still so far.
    This is the page talking about it. There is a link to PDF in the story.
    http://www.thevine.com.au/entertainment/blogs/now-we-know-who-to-blame-for-prometheus/?utm_source=FD&utm_medium=entpuff&utm_campaign=prometheus
  • I can't imagine being someone who hated Skyfall that much... That must suck.
    Out of curiosity, what movie (if any) would you rate a 10/10?
  • Funny. I just watched Skyfall, and really enjoyed it. :)
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes of the Rise of the Apes of the Planet - 7/10
    I really enjoyed this. Took a little while to get going, but the apes were fantastic, and the set pieces pretty imaginative. Watch it if you haven't already.
    (Not so much a fan of the title, I think "Rise of the Apes" would be plenty).
  • AdyAdy Staff
    edited December 2012
    Men in Black 3 - 4/10
    I actually quite liked the first Men in Black & although the second one appeared to have a role invented just to have Johnny Knoxville being a 'Jackass' in it I quite liked it too.
    But this one for me was just so poor, I must admit I wasn't expecting a lot but what it delivered just felt a little 'rushed'
    Ted - 3/10
    I refused to get caught up in the hype on this one, so have only just watched this as it came out on DVD / Blu-Ray here in the UK recently. And I'm glad I held back as the funniest bits were in the trailers. Maybe I just tire of the comedy of Seth MacFarlane or maybe I just didn't get it, but I sat watching the movie almost waiting to be entertained, to laugh even, but it never happened. Although I sniggered & giggled, the movie as a whole just felt like a long episode of one the less funny Family Guy episodes.
    21 Jump Street - 6/10
    Watched this on NetFlix & I actually quite enjoyed this, it didn't really surprise in any way but at the same time it did entertain. Some very funny moments & definitely worth a watch.
    Crazy, Stupid, Love - 7/10
    People have been raving about Ryan Gosling for a while (I still have to watch Drive & the Ides of March) so when this popped up whilst channel hoping I thought I'd watch it.
    It doesn't break an new ground & if you're expecting Hangover style humour then you'll be disappointed. But with a chemistry laden cast this film does deliver some genuine laughs.