Lost Creek Productions Thread- [Deflectors Test]

Comments

• @Triem23 ; For the engines, there are 3 parts. the bussard cap, the rotor, and the light spheres beneath. 

http://lcprod.com/hf/bussard-parts.png

So I put the bussard caps and the rotors in their own individual group in Lightwave. E.G. Rotor-Port, Rotor-Starboard.  Same with the caps. I left the colored spheres in their own group.  After importing the whole model with all the groups selected as "pivot" groups, I then duplicated the model and made everything black except the colored spheres and the rotors.  To make the rotors turn, I moved the Anchor point for the port rotor to where it was directly in front of the colored spheres and then plugged those same values in the Position.  Same for the starboard. Then rotated each Z to make them move.

On the original model instance I made the rotors and colored spheres transparent.

The glow trick worked since the duplicate layer was still 2D (along with the original model layer) I could then add a glow effect on the colored balls with the rotor turning in front of it.  I set the blend mode to Screen and put the rotor layer above the original model layer.  The glow was then occluded by the bussard cap which was part of the original model layer (but made transparent in the rotor layer model instance).

I had to play around with adding some blur to the rotor layer and also had to keyframe the blur to change over time.  Otherwise the glow would  appear and disappear as the model approached the camera.

• Sweet. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited November 2018

Now that the clipping plane issue is fixed in Ver. 10, here is a tutorial on how to set that up, plus utilizing a composite shot to hold your lighted and rigged object for future use.

https://youtu.be/8WUp2wlpMwE

• @Stargazer54 that was pretty cool. Great job. :)

• @Stargazer54 I'll assume your video is at cogent as your typed explanation. The internet at the Australian hotels is under 1mbps, so streaming is right out. I'll check it out when back in the US. 

• @Stargazer54 ; I can never get enough of people with experience showing how to set up 3D models!  Thanks for the vid.  Great stuff...

•  Thanks guys!   I know it was probably too long and I rambled too much.   Really gives you an appreciation for the more polished presenters when you do one of these yourself.

• edited November 2018

Do me a favor if you would please..... check motion blur for the model in D7-Base Move and then motion blur for the unrolled Comp. Is the Active camera display (model is out of frame) going wacky when trying to follow the target point in the Move comp? 

• edited November 2018

If I may.....

I worked on your setup a little. Biggest thing (for me) was motion blur on a fast moving target. In your example you unrolled the model in both the D7 Base and the Move comp. You also rotated the D7 Base Composite Layer 90 degrees for alignment. All works well..... except no motion blur and if you try and apply motion blur  it turns the scene garbley-gook. I mentioned this in the above post.

So...here is what I did. I left the model in the Model Base comp a 2d layer, tied it to a 3d point, rotated the point 90 degrees for alignment and clicked on motion blur for the model layer. In the Move comp I unrolled the Model comp (I wasn't able to do this in the past because of the clipping problem). Motion blur is working and the mover and target points are in-sync with the camera.

Now question for you....I know this particular problem was a pet peeve of yours and for some reason I recall an unrolled comp always had a clipping problem so......do you think that leaving the model inside the Model Base setup a 2d layer still fits in your wanted work flow? I see little difference between 2d and unrolled layers these days myself...so Im just deferring to your knowledge incase I'm overlooking something.

EDIT: Um. There is more to this. The workflow I described above works excellent for motion blur and adding effects (light wrap, curves) to the model BUT if you uncheck motion blur and leave the model in the Model Base comp 2d and then unroll it in the MOVE comp...the clipping problem returns. Similar to how you show in your video. SO........why is the motion blur on a 2D layer unrolled in another comp overcoming the clipping issue? Follow me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1_HFU57DsY

• As long as you are doing all your work within the same comp, you can leave your object as 2D or a 3D Plane then the Blur effect is available.  Ironically if you leave your 3D object as 2D in the original comp, you can rotate the object and it still looks 3D and you can apply effects to it.   But as soon as you click3D Unrolled, then you cannot apply the blur (or most other effects).  

But the only way I know of, at this point, to avoid clipping in the second comp is is to have both the object in the base comp and the nested comp set to 3D unrolled.  However,  once they are set to 3D Unrolled you can't apply the blur (or other effects).   Once you select 3D unrolled very few effects are available.

The only way I know of to get motion blur back would be to "flatten" the Mover comp by placing it inside yet another comp.  That will make it a 2D layer again and you can then add motion blur or other affects then.

• edited November 2018

Interestingly by changing the model to 2d, applying motion blur.... and then unroll the model again...motion blur is working BUT the target view is offset badly (focus point ahead of view). Um... and still doesn't explain why motion blur applied to a 2d layer in the Model Base comp  is overcoming the clipping problem in the Move comp. 

But...in the end I think  the "fix" working better than it was to be sure.

Thanks

• @GrayMotion Yeah, the whole 2D (hey its really 3D as long as you don't embed it in another comp, versus 3D Unrolled where you can apply no effects) is fully confusing. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited November 2018

@GrayMotion ; I messed around with trying to get the blur to work with the 3D unrolled embedded comp.  Using a grade layer will flatten the layers below, but Motion Blur is fubar like you say resulting in horrendous artifacts.   The best results were just keyframing a standard Blur to ramp up and down as the object passed. 

BTW,  I tightened up the edit on the clipping plane tutorial a bit.  Not quite as rambling.  But I will definitely follow an outline next time.

https://youtu.be/8WUp2wlpMwE

• Cool, re-watched it. :)

• Super Slick! :)

• @Stargazer54 it's soooo beautiful! Can I haz cheezetexture?

• Wow. Love it! 👍

• More, want more please. Awesome work. :)

• @Stargazer54 ; Oh, that IS nice!  Well done.  Does look like blu ray remaster quality like @Triem23 said

• Thanks all.  Next step is to re-jigger textures. As I noted in another thread, HF has a nasty habit of combining surface names on imported Lightwave models.  I'm losing about 30% of my surface names on the Enterprise model.  For example all the windows and starboard nav lights wind up disappearing and becoming the same surface as the bridge dome.

My working theory is I'm going to need to export from LW to .obj instead and see if that clears it up. 

• @Stargazer54 ; I had that same issue not long ago but never found the answer.  However, I do not think I was using LWO files.  Seems to me like it was an OBJ.  Nope I'm wrong it was model groups for animation in this thread:

https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/50614/model-import-what-controls-the-groups#latest

I suppose it's a similar thing controlling both though.

• @tddavis I was coming on to look for the same thread you posted! 

• @Triem23 ; It seems to me I imported a purchased OBJ into Blender of that Scout Ship trying to work out the textures weirdness for HeySiri and then bought the model myself to play with in Blender.  I did finally get the rotors to move proprly and exported it out to a format (FBX most likely) that HItfilm likes and I did stumble on something to make the groups be separate for animating but now, of course, I can't remember what I did :( exactly.

• @tddavis @Stargazer54 this is from memory, but my brain is tossing out that someone figured out Hitfilm merges all materials with identical Diffuse colors? So, a temp change of Diffuse color when exporting from one's 3D modeler of choice might solve the problem. 

Of course one would have to reset the colors in Hitfilm, but that's why we save our configured models as comp shots or projects, yes? 

• Yup, you've got to give each material a different color and use a principled bsdf. That some one is me. :)

• @spydurhank figured it was you, @GrayMotion or @NxVisualStudio

• @spydurhank ; Will look into "principled bsdf" on the Lightwave side.  Hopefully my version of LW has it because I only see mention of that in LW 2019 documentation.  Looks like I have to fiddle with the node editor get to get to Principled BSDF. 

For the record though, my starboard nav light is green and the windows are white.  On the face of it, HF should not be combining those surfaces together.