The Intermediate Codec Thread

2»

Comments

• @Triem23 I'm trying to push for the stunning imagery approach. I'm using the 8K for print quality stills as well as for gorgeous 4K... because 8K = 35.5 megapixels. And it's a 16-bit camera... 

And also trying to take advantage of the "more K is better" silliness. :)

• Well. Um. Right, of course the stills could be print... Damn... 

That camera will last awhile and pull a hell of a day rate, especially paired with an artist DP. 

• edited February 2017

Well, it has a dedicated stills mode...

And this is what the images look like with no post production color tweaking:

http://www.pixoto.com/images-photography/people/fashion/6583754027171840 with pretty good shutter speed options, though no bulb mode.

http://www.pixoto.com/images-photography/landscapes/mountains-and-hills/mt-rainier-5175741861068800

•  I think I could work with that. ;-) I mean, if I HAD to, *mock grumble*.

• It's going to be a lot nicer even after I sell my Zeiss CP.2 lenses and use the proceeds to purchase an EF mount and a set of Sigma Art lenses (13-35, 50-100 f/1.8) plus an outrigger handle so that I can actually hold it like an SLR. :)

Hopefully that will also help to generate some rental demand...

• I am hoping that 100mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens I ordered shows up before my wedding, Sat. :-/ Some fool *raises hand* ordered the incorrect mount and had to send one back and reorder....

• D'oh!

With a Canon mount I'll have the option of getting the one Canon lens that I've always envied... that 65mm macro lens that does 1-5x life size... it' s a one trick pony, but what a trick.

And in 8K... whew.

• Now if only HitFilm could IMPORT that 8K footage...

• This break down is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

Note: I thought I heard that ProRes now has MXF support. Not on a Mac, so I can't tell.

Question: Cineform support is great but Windows users can't use MOV and AVI support is slowing down rapidly (look at Davinci resolve). Does FXhome know if GoPro is planning on adding MXF support to their Cineform codec?

Thanks

• Why not just get a proxy picture lock and than grade in original footage? Project file is a simple xml. Just swap out the file extensions when your ready for grading.

So for 4K workflow;

1. Transcode to low res proxies (say XDCAM mpeg mxf at 960x540 for speed)

2. Start, edit and picture lock with proxy assets.

3. Open project with notepad and "find and replace" ".mxf" with ".mp4"

4. Save and reopen project.

5. Grade original footage.

I mean, it's not like you can do anything but nail timing, flow  and audio with this method but it'll play back real time on just about anything.

Is that not the goal in the end?