Continuously crashing

Hi i had a desktop with no graphics card and hitfilm ran smoothly I then went in to 3D editing and it crashed to the point I couldn’t reopen projects 

i went ahead and messaged fxhome and they advised me that I needed a better pc so I went out and paid £1400 on a vortex gaming pc with the following specs 

windows 10 
intel core i7-9700 octa-core processor 

ram 16gb DDR 4

graphics card Nividia GeForce RTX 2070 super - 8gb gddr6 

storage 2tb - 256gb ssd 

I downloaded the express 14 and I restarted said project and got the point I was at on my old pc and bam crashed again 

I’ve followed the advice of the fxhome staff and my problem resides can anyone help me out here please? 

Comments

• Make sure your system is completely up to date, especially your graphics driver (get it straight from the NVIDIA website)

• It’s a brand spanking new pc only arrived yesterday 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Brand new PC

This means that your drivers are absolutely out of date. A "brand spanking new" PC will have it's OS and drivers flashed from the initial release. Factories don't check every day for updates, download them and start using them.

Follow the directions in this FAQ for Nvidia cards.  https://fxhome.com/faqs/view/10

You'll need to go into your PC's control panel and into Settings>Windows Update and look for "critical" updates. I guarantee you'll find you're missing critical updates, and GPU driver updates, unless you remember being prompted to update things yesterday. 

• sorry 1st time ever setting up a new pc 

nvidia has been updated and windows is currently updating

• Post your results after updating driver. Case in point, my GTX 1660 S had no drivers, all had to be done manually. On lower end cards, drivers are generally provided via Windows updates, and with integrated graphics, always via Windows updates, as VGA.sys is a really bad driver so they stopped defaulting it.

• Ok I’ve done everything thing as advised and still I’m having crashes 

• CNKCNK
    edited January 26

So we're on the same page. You only crash in that project, not when you create a new project or work on different projects?

What are you doing the moment before the crash since you seem to be able to repeat it?

• edited January 27

I’m currently working on a 3D space scene with dogfights taking place 

When I get to a certain point of the project it force closes and when I try reopening it I can’t 

I open a new project following the same thing I did last time and it stops working again force closes and I’m unable to reopen 

im spending at least 6-7hrs per project and yea it crashes 

if I wanted to do a video of me in my living room playing with a lightsaber there’s no problems just having problems working the 3D aspect which I paid for the add on to use 

• I think it could be the phaser effects if I’m honest it’s always at the point I add the phasers it crashes 

maybe there’s another effect I can use to fire lasers with a repeated effect? I tried lightsword plane but can only be seen from certain angles 

• CNKCNK
    edited January 27

Im not home to test this, but others may. However at this point i think its worth tagging staff @CedricBonnier @TheBenNorris

• @MJlawson91 could you contact support again? They may be able to take a look at your project to try to investigate the cause and get this fixed for you asap.

• Hi Everybody! Before us HP Graphics 4000 VCard People run backwards to HF 12.2, let me tell you what I just did on my Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite i3-3120m CPU @ 2.5Ghz stuffed with 4 gigs of Ram, to "slow down" HF Express 14 from crashing all over the place.
    I set the "Dark Theme" back to Light.
    I found an option for 100 Keyframes and "pushed" it down to 50 Keyframes.
    Saw a checked box that said allow internal hardware decoding (or something close to that) and unchecked it.
    I set the audio display to medium instead of Large.
    Definitely set the auto save to 2 minutes instead of 10 or whatever it was originally at (I can only press ctrl-s so many times and still think like George Lucas)..
    Now HF14 hasn't crashed yet in 20 minutes and counting. I actually think that setting this app back to Light Mode, which HF14 is surprisingly now opening in by default, is the culprit for us HD Graphics 4000 Aging Souls!

• CNKCNK
    edited February 3

@DesignerTJP A quick note on the HD 4000. While its starting to becomes the true min graphics requirement for HitFilm, do note that in your case the amount of memory is whats likely causing those issues. Heres why:

HD 4000 is directly fed usuable graphics memory by the system memory. This means that assuming you are only using a single 4 GB stick of memory, that your HD 4000 core is only allocating a small amount of video memory as a result. If its possible to add 1 more 4 GB stick in your laptop, then youre looking at dual channel bandwidth instead of single channel, which would be the best case scenario for your aging system.

Youre due for an upgrade, but not all is bad and understanding how integrated graphics work is key. A lot of people dismiss that fact and go straight to all HD 4000 perform 'the same', in addition even the clock speed of the CPU running it is a rather big factor in this.

• Hi! Thanks for the hot tips to make HF 14 run better on my computer! Just realized my earlier comment was actually for the other group of concerned comments titled - HitFilm Express 14 keeps crashing! from around Jan 26th. Hope those guys, like @Syrupy @Triem23 @triforcefx & @Stargazer54 ,can see @CNK 's comments especially on the memory thing.