Real Film Formats needed for PC USERS

First I should state the your Quicktime import requires an install from Apple that No Longer Exists for PC users. You need to do like Resolve has and incorporate the compatibility in Hitfilm Pro itself

Second your MXF format does not include DNxHR or OP1A. The only formats that filmmakers would actually use.

Lastly there is NO BlackMagic Raw format, Which makes No Sense since it is free for you to add.

Comments

• I've been requesting raw support for a while now... but it seems like not enough people are asking for it. 

It's becoming circular though; since HitFilm doesn't support raw, most of the people who have raw cameras ignore it, which of course means that they aren't asking for raw in HitFilm.

•  HitFilm does not require QuickTime installation on Windows anymore (it hasn't for a while). The most common codecs in a mov container (ProRes and AVC) are supported without installing QT. Other codecs still require you to install it (MJPEG comes to mind but there's others as well).

Regarding DNxHR, we have had that on our list for a while but haven't added it yet as other items have taken priority.

For RAW formats, BRAW and R3D will probably be added at some point. The reason we have not added it was mainly that we felt our users mostly didn't have access to cameras that could save raw videos, or they were choosing not to use raw (for other reasons than not being supported in HF). All in all, not that many people have been asking for raw support. This however might change with the increasing popularity of the Blackmagic cameras.

PS: just because a SDK is free doesn't mean it's free for us to add it to HitFilm. It takes dev time, testing time, potentially equipment to purchase for testing purposes, etc. This is not to say it won't happen, just that it needs to become a priority and then us devs will work on it. Keep posting suggestions and the most requested features will get done :)

• Being able to import braw and Redcode into HitFilm would be very exciting. I'd be able to use it for a lot more small and quick projects if it did, as well as incorporate it into more projects a dedicated effects tool. 

I'm helping a friend with some effects for a short teaser she's working on, and ended up being reminded about how good the keyers are in HitFilm... they're up there with the Scratch and Mistika keyers. It took a fair bit of experimenting and finessing to get a clean key on a green screen clip in Resolve, but it took only about two minutes in HitFilm... except that I had to transcode the clip from Redcode to Cineform first.

• I just posted a long comment but now it's gone...? What is going on...?

• Please...we definately need more options for lossless input and output codecs in Windows. The given options are far from being useable as an intermediate format for further working in different applications and Cineform is also far from being "visually lossless", especially at lower resolutions. 

In 2015 (!) I started a project where I wanted to archive our Super 8 home movies and bought a scanner to capture the films frame by frame.ending up with jpg files in 1227x901 which I then edited, cut, cropped and stabilized in Virtualdub and rendered into MOV with Grassvalley Lossless, because I wanted to do some color grading in Davinci Resolve but Davinci did not like AVI with Grassvalley. So far so good, but as the videos are kind of noisy and grainy, depending on the film my father used back in the days, I was looking for a good noise and grain reduction and I was very happy to find Hitfilm with the repair pack doing a great job. But that was not the happy  end...there is no way to stay in a lossless compression environment except going for fully uncompressed AVI or PNG and I don't want to spend my money in tons of harddisks and a place to store them, keeping in mind that I will have to recompress all the files to carry on working in Davinci Resolve...

My workflow could be quite easy:
    Scanning films into JPG -> Pre-edit, cutting and Deshaking in Virtualdub -> Degrain, Denoise and further editing in Hitfilm -< Final Colorgrading in Davinci Resolve --> Making my father happy so he can watch all the memories from our childhood before he has to go (he's 83 right now...)
    But as it seems, this is simply impossible to do...this format war is driving me nuts

Oh...just to mention...why is it not possible to have a fullscreen preview in Hitfilm on the same monitor without having to buy a second monitor?
    Virtualdub can do it, Vegas Pro can do it, Davinci Resolve can do it...nearly every program on the market can do it...except for Hitfilm?

I hope this will not sound as a rant. It's just that I'm quite frustrated after all this years working on this and never come to an end. This is 2020, but I feel like I'm still in the 1990s

Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes.  English is not my main language

Regards, 
    Markus

• "My workflow could be quite easy:
    Scanning films into JPG -> Pre-edit, cutting and Deshaking in Virtualdub -> Degrain, Denoise and further editing in Hitfilm -< Final Colorgrading in Davinci Resolve --> Making my father happy so he can watch all the memories from our childhood before he has to go (he's 83 right now...)"

I agree about the format silliness... it's a drag, and it's worsened by the fact that some codecs are rather pricey to license, so FXHome hasn't added them due to the costs required. 

Why not import the image sequence directly into HitFilm and work there?

Then export the video  clips in a high quality delivery codec, like H.264 with the compression settings dialed way down.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited January 17

@MarkusScholl ; There are several quality settings for Cineform in Virtual Dub.  I usually use Filmscan 1 (a notch above High).   But you could kick it up to Filmscan 2 or 3 and see if that gives you what you want.  Your file sizes will go up, of course.

But Cineform is a good choice for HF since that is now an internal native codec to the software.  Perhaps you might have had better luck writing your film scan to Cineform instead of Grass Valley.  But that may not have been the option at the time.  And hindsight is 2020. 

Also there is no reason you have to do your project in HF.  Work with Premiere, Vegas or DaVinci - whichever works best.

As you said, if you are wanting to stay lossless all the way around you're going to need a lot of disk space.  You may just have to make some compromises.  Sounds like the clock is ticking and I doubt your father would notice or care about compression artifacts.

As far as full screen preview, please post that at the top of the page on the Wishlist.  The devs will see that there first.  If  there is enough interest in that as a feature it may get on the list of improvements that way.

• edited January 17

Stargazer54

Thank you for your answer. The last option I've tried exporting the denoised file was indeed Cineform with filmscan 1. The filesize was still pretty small, about 1/10th of the original file. I absolutely loved what degraining and denoising inside HF could do and I am very satisfied with the results so far....but what I did not like was the wobbly mess the codec did to the grass in this particular shot...it was a flabby mass, as if there was a living swamp underneath  :-D  The kind of result you get, when you compress mp4/h264 at very low bitrates., you know? But that should not be the case with Cineform at higher settings. I will try and see what it looks like at the highest settings. Oh, by the way...when I mention lossless I always mean lossless compression, like Huffyuv, Lagarith, MagicYuv, Grassvalley Lossless. etc. The resulting filesize was always ok. Unlike AVI Uncompressed, which is indeed huge. Like I said my exports from Virtualdub are lossless compressed and Canopus/Grassvalley was the best option regarding filesize and quality and I thought I could keep it this way until the final stage

I tried to explain what the main reasons were, to  get into Hitfilm Express and why I purchased several packs to get me started. The program as such has an absolute right to remain in my arsenal, just because it can do what it does extremly well. For now it may be only the video cleaning part, but so far I have only scratched the surface  and I'm  quite used to colorgrading in Davinci. 
    See, I come from music production where I'm working with Cubase since the earliest days beginning on  Atari until now. But there have always been certain tasks that could be done better or faster in other programs.  This has never been a problem for me. 
    Roundtripping between programs is quite common, from what I've read even in the film editing world. But as a Windows user life is getting unnecessary hard :-D

Yes, the clock is ticking, but his eyes are still quite good, and he is still very healthy, thank god. But there are moments where my sister and  I can see that this will not last forever

Thanks again, 

Markus

• https://www.magicyuv.com/

Is another option I have been looking at...

• I wouldn't mind 10-bit AVI raw - I use hitfilm mainly for composting animations I create in Blender. At the moment, I create the composite and then use Vegas Pro 17 to create and AVI - which I then further composite into a final distribution medium. Sometimes though this doesn't work and it would be good if I could just use Hitfilm to create the AVI 10-bit uncompressed film strips for further compositing within Vegas. 

Just saying!!