Process finished unexpectedly

Hi there, I'm a first time user of Hitfilm express and I've been running into an issue exporting my footage that I cannot figure out. It doesn't seem to matter what percentage the export makes it to, the clip will randomly crash and give the error message "Process finished unexpectedly". I'm attempting to export a piece of 1440p gameplay I recorded using OBS and everything else works fine up until it's time to export it. Occasionally a clip will export fully without any issue and then the next one will crash randomly only for me to restart it 3 to 5 times before it will actually export the entire thing. I'll give a breakdown of system specs, configuration, hitfilm preset settings, storage setup and capacity, original video file attributes, windows updates, system and driver updates, and anything else I have thought to check or update since running into this issue.

System specs:

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A (Has the latest bios update as well as chipset update)

CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k Overclocked to 5.0ghz

CPU cooler: Noctua NHd15

RAM: 32 gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz DDR4 Overclocked to 3200mhz (configured in x4 8gb sticks)

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060 reference card - Core clock set to +110mhz over stock - Memory clock set to +700 over stock via msi afterburner

Power supply: Corsair RM850x 850w

Boot drive: Crucial mx500 m.2 SSD 500gb

Storage setup 1: x2 Samsung 850 Evo 500gb in RAID 0 for a total of 1tb of storage via 2.5 inch sata drives (This raid setup is used as a regular storage drive for games)

Storage setup 2: x2 Crucial mx300 525gb in RAID 0 for a total of a little over 1tb of storage via 2.5 inch sata drives (This raid setup is used as a regular storage drive for games)

Storage Setup 3: x1 Samsung 860 Evo 500gb via 2.5 inch sata drive (This drive is the drive that i used to record to as well as edit from. The footage I edit comes directly from this drive and gets exported back to this drive.)

Windows 10 Pro 64bit (fresh install) Completely updated with the most recent updates

Recording software:

OBS -  updated to the latest version

I am recording directly from a 1440p monitor at 60fps using CBR rate control at 125,000 kbps. I am also using NVIDIA's new NVENC encoder.

Hitfilm Express 13:

I'm using the latest version of hitfilm downloaded directly from the website and is activated. I've also completely uninstalled, run CCleaner, removed all traces of anything to do with Hitfilm, reinstalled and recreated my presets.

Project settings:

Video - Width: 2560 Height: 1440 Framerate: 60 Aspect ratio: Square pixels (1.0)

Audio - Sample rate: 44100hz

Export Preset:

Format - MP4

Codec - H.264

Dimensions - From source

Scale mode: Keep aspect ratio

Frame rate: From source

Aspect ratio: Square pixels (1.0)

Profile: High

Level: 5.2

Encoding: Constant bitrate

Bitrate: 125,000 kbps

Audio:

Codec: AAC

Channels: Stereo

Sample rate: From source

Bitrate: 320 kbps

That's everything I can think of when it comes to system configuration and video settings, I'm not sure what's been causing the issue but I'd really like to figure it out at some point because I've been enjoying using Hitfilm so far and I'd like to keep using the software to edit my videos. I've tried changing every setting I can think of and each setup produces the same result, an export will crash randomly during the export process no matter how long the video is, the file size, or hitfilm settings. I've also used other editing software that exported my videos flawlessly but I wanted to move to something new and Hitfilm has a few features that I really like and would like to continue taking advantage of so hopefully someone is able to help. Thanks.

Comments

• edited October 31

@AlexSewell ; I am not the most adept when it comes to export settings, but I have seen enough issues caused by OBS or other game play footage being variable frame rate to ask if you have transcoded your footage to constant frame rate. 

This video explains at lot about issues:

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng it comes from this thread and has lots of good info:

https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/comment/134432#Comment_134432

There is also a program called MediaInfo that will tell if you dio have variable or constant footage. This tutorial explains how to use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivy9ckSX1M0

I will almost bet that the OBS footage is what is giving Hitfilm fits and causing your errors, but please wait on the more knowledgeable specs gurus, who I am certain bless you for the detailed info you gave already,  to weigh in.

• Thanks for the quick reply! I'll take a look at this info when I get a chance but after downloading mediainfo and checking the overall bitrate mode of the file I'm trying to export I have confirmed that it is variable, which makes sense because I originally recorded it in a variable bitrate. Checking this against another file I recorded at a constant bitrate and that exported without issue in hitfilm has also made me wonder if this is what's causing my issues. As I have only exported one video that was originally recorded using constant bitrate and exported it without issue I will have to test this theory to see if I have any more issues with videos crashing while attempting to export.

• edited October 31

@Alex_Sewell ; Bit rate you want variable, as I understand it, it's frame rate that is the rub for Hitfilm.

•  @tddavis Strangely enough, after checking through the rest of my footage that I've exported previously as well as the raw footage I was able to see that the frame rate was constant throughout all of them. Here is the output that mediainfo gave me as an example for one of my videos. Just to test this out, I went back into hitfilm and attempted to export this file again, it made it to about 94% before crashing.

General
    Complete name                            : D:\Youtube\Raw video files\World War Z\2019-10-26 23-58-04.mp4
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media
    Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size                                : 38.9 GiB
    Duration                                 : 46 min 19 s
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 120 Mb/s
    Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L5.1
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 120 Mb/s
    Maximum bit rate                         : 275 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 2 560 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 440 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 60.000 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.541
    Stream size                              : 38.7 GiB (100%)
    Color range                              : Limited
    Color primaries                          : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.470 System B/G
    Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : AAC LC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 320 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel layout                           : L R
    Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Stream size                              : 105 MiB (0%)
    Title                                    : Track1
    Default                                  : Yes
    Alternate group                          : 1

• @Alex_Sewell I would recommend sending support a ticket with the problematic file in question attached. As far as I can tell this may be a known issue with certain MP4 contents.

• @Alex_Sewell ; Yes, that is Constant footage and I apologize for for my wrong guess at your issue.  I agree that a Support ticket may be the best solution.