Video camera for podcasts

Dear friends, hope you are all well.

I’m a beginner in video creation, and was wondering if anyone could help me out with my video cameras selection.

Long story short: I want to record a series of podcasts, my ideal set up is the Joe Rogan podcasts. I have the tripods, microphones and lights set up, just need to buy 2-3 cameras to shoot from 3 different angles. Honestly speaking there’s so much different stuff out there I get lost and confused.

My main requirements for cameras are:

1. 1080p HD 30fps

2. Battery - big capacity battery or external power cable connection, I need 2-3 hours of recordings in one session.

3. Memory Capacity - 64gb memory, maybe more.

4. Ability to record 2 hours+ non stop (I guess that doesn’t work with DSLR cams unless I use magiclantern, even then the recording will break to start again with a potential focus loss).

5. Around $500 per each camera

Obviously my budget is not that big, I’m not looking for the latest model or fancy settings like wifi, bluetooth, night vision etc, just a camera/camcorder that would be a great value for my budget and provide a decent quality footage.

Ideally I’m looking for Canon, Nikon, Sony or Panasonic cameras, unless there’s a reason to buy any others.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• The entry level Sony and Panasonic cameras are generally the best value at that range, unless you can find some used Black Magic Pocket Cinema Cameras (original version). I'd advise budget camcorders to get the longer record times without incurring a lot of extra cost.

• What are your reviews of Canon cameras?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Keranan many of the Canons do just fine for video. I have a t3i and a 5dmkIV. Both shoot good looking video. However, unless Canon has changed codecs recently Canon uses an MJPEG codec for 4K video that eats storage for breakfast and performs very slowly in Hitfilm (so, transcode first).

At the price point we're discussing (about $500 USD) I agree with Whitecrane - the lower level Sony and Panasonic offerings are better suited for video... Especially as Canons at that price point have no autofocus while shooting video, and, for vlogging, that's important to have. 

• I am looking at Sony a6400 from a T3i, I noticed the So dose HVC I think? and I wonder how it performs in HF

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@GarethOwen Hitfilm actually doesn't accept h.265/HEVC. You'd have to transcode to h.264, or another format before import to Hitfilm. 

In general, HEVC performs poorly in NLEs that can accept it.

This video covers some of the basics of how digital video works, and several methods for transcoding. Specifically, at 14:14 I discuss "editing" vs "delivery" codecs (HVEC is a delivery codec), and why delivery codecs perform more slowly in NLEs. 

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

None of this is a reason to NOT buy the Sony. It's a fantastic camera in that price range, and more capable for video than the t3i.