Copy & paste?

All of a sudden I cant use copy and paste in HFP 13.

If I right click an effect or a mask and choose copy I cannot paste it on an other track, the option paste does not show. The only option is "collapse all".

Strange, this never happened before.

Comments

• Hi @Lars_H can you clarify what you're copying from and pasting to? That might help me diagnose your issue a little easier, thanks.

• In a composite shot I draw a mask on a track (video) then I want to copy that mask to another video track but that is not possible.

The same goes for if I add, for example, a "contrast and brightness-effect", tweak that to my liking and want to copy that setting to another videotrack.

• @Lars_H, it all seems to work well on my end. Are you sure you're right clicking on the layer you want to use as the target for the copy operation? If you right click the empty space in the layer tree paste will be greyed out unless you are copying a layer and have that on your clipboard.

• Yes, I am doing it the way I have been doing it since as long as I can rembember.

I have been a user since CompositLab-days.

I could send you screenshots if I only knew how to do that.

• edited September 21

You haven't accidentally locked the layer your pasting to? New feature in 13

• No, they are unlocked. 

•  Hi, ok I tested on my Pro 13 and it all works as expected. Something very odd going on your end. I would suggest a clean install of Hitfilm and try it again. Maybe before that, do a new project, new comp and run the same test. Maybe your project is the problem.

• @Lars_H if you're still having difficulty I would send support a ticket as I cannot see anyway this would happen, they might be able to assist you further.

https://fxhome.com/questions/submit

• Hi, now I tested a new project but the problem remains.

I did a clean install, same problem. 

But I found out that if I right click on the file in the timeline (either on the name on the track or directly at the file) it all works! 

And if the track I am pasting to already has an effect or mask  added it is possible to click on that effect and paste another effect (or mask) directly beneath it. But I can not paste if I there isn't already another effect or mask.

• I forgot to add that it seems I now can do all the paste an copy I want.

(If I click directly on the file that is.)

But the question remains:

Why can't I do it the way I used to?

Is that a new function?

• @Lars_H ;

"But I found out that if I right click on the file in the timeline (either on the name on the track or directly at the file) it all works! "

I believe this is how the copy paste is meant to work. The reasoning is that you can copy and paste any suitable element of a layer onto the layer (when you are selecting the layer title itself), and you can copy-paste an effect on top of an effect, etc. However, in my opinion I do think you should be able to paste a mask by right clicking the "Masks" item, etc. Hopefully you can see how copy-paste works in HitFilm currently, but I will raise this potential improvement with the others.

• Thanks!

I guess this now can be titled RESOLVED!

But I am sure that I was able to paste a mask by right clicking the "Masks" item, etc. in earlier versions of HF.

(But I may be wrong.)

This discussion has been closed.