Will this card be able to run Hitfilm Pro?

Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 Low Profile 2G

My PC is a Dell OptiPlex 7010.

8 GB Ram

Intel Core i5-3470 @3.2 Ghz

Windows 10 Pro (Retail, not OEM).

Comments

• @TomSmithNP ; Reference this site https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce#Small_form_factor_GPUs your card is listed as entry level.   That coupled with lack of additional RAM and older generation CPU would not get you a lot of performance, IMHO.   Not to say you couldn't tinker with HF Express, but I could foresee the current version bogging down on your system.  Sorry to say.

• The GPU is the main problem, bit too low powered.

• @TomSmithNP Just so you're aware, your CPU is actually underspec for HitFilm 12+. It requires a 4th gen Intel Core processor or better. While you might get HitFilm to run, there's no guarantee it will. Personally, I'd save the money and put it towards upgrading your entire system. Sorry to disappoint. Hope you'll be able to figure something out!

•  @triforcefx My CPU is a 5th gen, so it should run it surely? My PC is a new one already.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@TomSmithNP I missed it myself but @triforcefx is correct. 

In your processor name the "i5" refers to the "tier" of processor, but the 3470 is what tells us the series and year. 

3xxx is "3rd generation," 4xxx is "4th generation"

Here's Intel's own list of "4th generation Core" processors. Note they're all 4xxx series. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/75024/4th-generation-intel-core-i5-processors.html

You are, technically, under spec. I think you'll probably run, but, with an under spec CPU and low-spec GPU you'll have sluggish performance. 

• @Triem23 ; @triforcefx ; So even with my current CPU and the graphics card at the top of this post, I should just about be able to run Htfilm without it crashing?

• @TomSmithNP Unfortunately, a lot of the newer versions of Hitfilm tend to be picky about the minimum spec. While we technically can’t say for sure about any hardware combination- except the ones we’ve tested ourselves- as soon as you go under the minimum spec, your odds of running smoothly and without significant crashes decreases exponentially. I’m sure FXHome would love to support EVERY hardware combination in the book, but it’s just not possible... the reason they raised the minimum spec with Hitfilm 12 is largely because the older 4000 Series Intel GPUs were giving them a ton of trouble, and as I understand it, they are no longer supported by Intel.

Long story short, if you put in that graphics card, you’ll be looking better, but you’ll still be under spec. This means that, even if you can run Hitfilm, you’ll be more susceptible to bugs and crashes, and while support might still try to help you (cuz they’re nice), they may also just say “sorry you’re under spec.”

If you just can’t swing the money for a new computer right now- which is nothing to be ashamed of (btw, a new computer that’s far more capable than yours can be had for $400)- then feel free to try the graphics card. Unless you already have a Pro license, I can personally only recommend that you use Express. If you want to try something “Pro-level,” try it in Express first if possible. If it works and you’re willing to accept the risk that a future version may not work at all on your computer, then buy Pro if you like.

What @triforcefx said. Definitely try Express and don't spend money on add-ons at first until you determine if Hitfilm will run. 

Whether or not you'll get lucky will depend on what you intend to do. If you're clogging or game streaming and you just need to cut some footage, do a color correct and add a title you'll probably be ok. If you're going to try for massive, complex animation/compositing you're going to hit the wall on your hardware fast. You'll be limited to 1080p, I think - I'm pretty sure that GPU won't handle 4k.

Again, Hitfilm Express is free, so you can at least try the software with worrying about maybe needing to do a return/refund. 

• @Triem23 Well, what I could do is make the video in, say, 720p and then in the export, bump it up to 1080p or even 4K. Do you think 2D motion tracking would work with that card?

Can't say for sure. Don't have the card. 

• @Triem23 ; Should the specs be ok for 2D tracking?

Can't say. I don't have the card for testing. 

To clarify one point, forum mods aren't FXHOME Staff. We're volunteers who help catch spam, but I can't make guesses as to if hardware I don't own will work. All I can advise is to try it. 

• @Triem23 Ah, ok! Sorry but I really thought that you where staff! Opps.

Yes, I problay will try it. Thanks for all the infomation! 

Kind regards

Tom.