Multi-Cam in Feature Films

As the title mentions

It's a bizarre concept. I'm never a fan of Multi-Cam setups outside of TV work, but this YT vid from this guy ThisGuyEdits surprised me.

Its around the 6:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCs8Qqy5fFE

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Multi Cam setups have been used for decades in feature films. Usually for stunt work and blowing things up. Less for dialog scenes, where DPs want to control every shot, and where you just don't want to blow film on take after take. 

But, yeah, especially now that it's all digital  multicam is getting used more on small-to-mid budget shoots. 

A good example is Sin City from 2005. Rodriguez not only ran multiple cams in many scenes  since digital is cheap and drives reused he also shot all the rehearsals. There's a scene in particular with Clive Owen and Benicio del Toro that ended up being mostly rehearsal takes, as-libs, etc from the three cameras running.

• I used multi-cam for the TV show I produced, directed and edited. 6 cameras allowed for a lot of footage from multiple angles, making the show more interesting but the editing took forever as a result.

Mike

• @Triem23 Well. I learned something today.

@Karma ;

Yes, for a lot of TV work, its pretty standard. My surprise was its use in feature films

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Hictor other than stunt work (like car crashes and explosions), multicam work on features is relatively new, and rare. I haven't watched the video you posted, but I bet all the cameras are close together, grabbing close, medium and/or wide from nearly identical positions? 

• Precisely.

I think it's the only format (along with what you suggested) where it makes sense. Or perhaps in wide areas but each are mounted on rails and are expertly coordinated.

Still think the Birdman setup is the coolest though.