Gun Hand Luke Establishing shot

Hey everyone, new to the forum

Quick clip showing the mountainous forest environment from my upcoming short film Gun Hand Luke.

First shot is completely green screen with 3d models making up the scene. Second clip is basic sky/ background replacement with additional foreground tree pngs. 

https://youtu.be/MVm_KtqKcXY

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Nicely done!

Did you animate the camera in the first shot or use a shake effect? It looks like there's actually parallax happening.

Fantastic job matching both shots in the Grade. 

• Thanks. No it was locked down with a manual shake applied afterwards.

Manual. Moved the 3D camera? 

• No sorry, the shot as a whole. Thanks

Ok, cool. 😁

It does make a difference. Moving your rig in 3D space did give a parallax shift camera shake effects don't. I applaud you taking the time to do that. Adds an extra bit of realism. I'd have moved the camera instead of the set, but either way gets the same look.

You also did a great job on lighting your model and setting up materials. 

•  Awesome. Thanks so much for the input. 

• Looks great. The opening shot looks seamless.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

@EVOAH Really nice job matching everything.  Your actor truly looks to be in the scene and most people would not notice the virtual elements.   I would however, think about given the door to the chapel? some more thickness.   In the current view it looks very thin, almost only a plane, which gives it away as a 3d element.

For the long shot (which looks tremendous BTW) perhaps a bit of blur on the actor would ground him more into the surroundings.  But man, what a great job of keeping the scale of him running at a distance and looking like he is covering the correct amount of ground.   Very well done!!

•  Thanks for the comments. Yes i agree the door needs more thickness. Will have a play around. 

• Awesome.

• Wow! Looks seamless.

I find so awesome these VFX shots where you can't tell there's VFX.

Looking forward to see the final product.

•  Wow! Thanks for the positive feedback guys. None of it would have been possible without the youtube tutorials and forum topics that I've poured over for the last 6 months or so. Hopefully the final film will be a worthy demonstration of hitfilm and I can give something back by sharing how certain shots were achieved. (Currently doing post-production on hand held green screen/ 3d back ground scenery shots 😣)