Hitfilm 12.3 keeps freezing

edited June 19 in HitFilm Pro Support

I'm working in Hitfilm Pro (version 12.2.8707.7201), and it keeps becoming unresponsive, forcing me to exit out and reopen it. This has only been an issue since updating to version 12.

My PC is running Windows 10 Pro, with an i7-6700 CPU (3.4 GHz), 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 960 graphics card (with the most current drivers installed).

No other programs are open usually when I'm working in Hitfilm.

Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

@Spokid +1 for providing system specs.  Should be no problems there as far as enough resources.  

Next question might be is Win10 also current on OS updates?  You might also add what it is you are doing when the software freezes.  Are you editing or in a comp shot?  If you have imported video, what file format are you importing from?

If all those variables are "normal" you probably ought to contact FXHome support.  https://fxhome.com/questions/submit

• I'll double check, but I believe my OS updates are all current.

It typically freezes while I'm editing (though the amount of footage in the timeline doesn't seem to make a difference; it has frozen when I've had one clip or several clips).

The file format I work with varies, but most of the time I'm working with 4K footage in MOV format, pulled from footage shot with my Canon 5D Mark IV (footage is always on my hard drive though; I'm not attempting to pull from an SD card).

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

I suggest transcoding.

@Stargazer54 I tag you cuz you'll kinda wanna know this. 

Canon 5dmkIV 4k footage is MJPEG in an MOV wrapper. This means every frame is compressed JPEG. Terrible compression and a 400mb/s data rate. This is nearing the max transfer speed of most SSDs and exceeds most HDDs.

5dmkIV 4k footage is a sluggish beast in Hitfilm, Vegas and Resolve. 

Solution. Transcode to Pro-Res (MAC) or Cineform (PC). For PC, Cineform Medium looks great with 5dmkIV 4k footage, gives smaller file sizes and edits much more smoothly in Hitfilm.

This video needs an update  but it discusses why certain video formats edit more smoothly, and shows several transcode methods.

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

You might try transcoding to Cineform and see if that helps.  I've had good luck with the (AVC format) .mov files from my GH4 shooting at 4K and converting with VirtualDub.  I am also on W10, i7, 32 GB, NvidiaGTX-980Ti. They play & scrub much smoother on the timeline after conversion, with very little image loss.   VirtualDub is free at  virtualdub.org.

Again, if you still experience problems you should put in a support ticket.  

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Stargazer54 @Spokid let me state my prior comment about transcoding is from experience as a 5dmkIV owner. Trust me that native MJPEG from the camera is slow in any editor. Cineform Medium will be half the size and 10 times more responsive. 

• edited June 19

Okay, so I'm currently working on a project that has NO footage from the 5D, nor is any of the footage I'm working with in 4k, and it STILL keeps freezing.

Any solutions?

I never had these issues before the jump to 12.

(And just to be clear, I am on the most current version of all software involved, as well as all current drivers; everything has been kept up to date, so the version mentioned in my initial post in March is no longer the version I'm working in.)

@Spokid ;  Did you transcode?   Is your footage variable frame rate?  And/or please give us some more details on the footage in question.  A MediaInfo output about the footage specs would be helpful.

• I'll see if I can get some more info for you a little later, but (and I mean absolutely no disrespect here) being that I didn't have these problems with the previous version (with the same workflow, file types, etc...that I primarily work with now), wouldn't that suggest that the software has an issue that needs to be resolved?

• @Spokid ; AS I understand it, the minimum specs for Hitfilm were changed with version 12 to accommodate the upgrade changes, so it is entirely possible that you are now underspec for where Hitfilm runs best.