HitFilm 12 Frequent Crash

Hello, just updated to HitFilm 12. I must say it became faster than before. I only have one problem with my project. When I drag a video to the timeline and play it back, it would crash. This only happens when the video has audio, from what I have observed. Sometimes, it only crashes when I try to scrub through the video repeatedly. 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Hopefully everything would work out soon, especially now that I'm working on a project. 

• edited February 17

Hello, V12 Crashs for me too.
    New Projects, old Projects: Everything!

Win10 64 ; Intel Quad i5, 3,4Ghz,
    AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series PCI Express 2.0 GDDR5

• I am having the same problem. I just updated my Nvidia GeForce graphics and it's still constantly crashing. 

I'm operating in 3d space and it initially was crashing while I was scrubbing. Now, it crashes on the slightest tweak of anything in the frame. There's not even a lot going on. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited February 20

Possible workaround would be to go to File, Options, Render and disable "use hardware decoding".   You can also do that for an individual clip on the timeline by selecting the gear icon on the clip in the media panel.

• Disable "use hardware decoding" is worst. Seriously, if I had known, I would not have gone to Hitfilm 12 ...
  • @FXhomer284752 I believe this has been fixed.  There will be an update coming out before too long.   There were several issues the Devs had to deal with so they are releasing  new version as they finish fixes.   There will apparently be a 12.2 and 12.3 before too long.

The other best workaround is to transcode to Cineform and you won't have to worry about it.  Added benefit of Cineform is it's native to HF now and provides a significant performance increase on the timeline.

• Quick question: are those crashes you're experiencing of the kind of freezing your entire Windows and lead your PC to reboot?

Because that's what I have been experiencing today.

Yesterday I started to work on a new video, and updated to 12.1, and for an entire afternoon there were no problems, however today my whole machine will crash if this program is so much as just opened (it freezes first, then after about a minute, Windows itself will tell me something went wrong and then it reboots).

I updated my drivers, and even ram a memtest to ensure at least the basics, and my computer was able to run without issues the previous versions (even if they were slower).

If this sounds familiar to you guys, is there any workaround for now?

My rig is an MSI GE62VR 6RD Apache Pro btw, with Windows 10, 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1060.

• edited March 4

Similar problem.

Can't work longer than 5 minutes and it just crashes suddenly. Sometimes even my LCD turns off because no signal from PC any more.

Impossible to use it :(

- Intel I7-5550U
    - 8GB RAM
    -On board Graphic

P.S.: Since the update to 12. I can't make full screen any more. Is that normal?

• yes this problem is serious..  call out to mr @AxelWilson on fxhome i am not able to post a video due to this for 2 weeks..

• Just a heads up which may be able to help the devs figuring out the crashing issue (at least the one I referred): whenever my dedicated GPU is busy with something else (in parallel with Hitfilm itself), namely a game (of which I am making a video from), the program never ever crashes, ever.

This leads me to believe that the crash only happens whenever the OS turns the dedicated GPU off, on which Hitfilm is dependent on, since I also see that Hitfilm is using the dedicated GPU, at least when I boot it up.

It may be the case that perhaps at one point Hitfilm stops using the dedicated GPU by itself, or the usage is so low that the OS (Windows 10) or graphic drivers (Nvidia) switch to the onboard one (Intel), and once Hitfilm needs it again, or does something expecting the dedicated one being used, Windows BSODs with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION stop code, since it may take time to turn the dedicated GPU back on again, especially so suddenly, or the OS may take it as a direct violation at that point, maybe.

Of course, this is just conjecture of mine concerning the root cause, purely based on the observed behavior, but it is a fact that if all I have using the dedicated GPU is Hitfilm, Windows eventually freezes and crashes (generally after just a few minutes), even when the program is minimized, however if the dedicated GPU is busy with something else already, no crashes are experienced, ever.

For those here with a good enough GPU and enough RAM just like in my case, I invite you to do the experience (the game I used is Fortnite btw, if you want a concrete game to keep the GPU busy with).

• @Feralidragon ; I'm a nobody here but interesting and quite the detailed observation.  Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis and I'm sure someone will find it useful.  I've been lucky with my system and haven't had the issues others have or I'd gladly try it out, but I appreciate the reasoning on your part cause it's rare to find these days.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@CedricBonnier @DannyDev @Ady I point to the post two above this in case the data is helpful  

• @Triem23 We've seen it, thanks

• Feralidragon .  Eventually it BSOD my machine and corrupted OS files to the point that I had to do a fresh install of windows 10.  This was completely unacceptable. I had to trouble shoot for a few hours then eventually just backed up my personal files and fresh installed. I tried reinstalling hitfilm just to see if it would make a difference. Same problem.  Tried different versions of NVidia drivers etc.  Before this I have never once had Windows freeze, or BSOD on this machine.  I also did a memtest86+ and had no errors.  Booted up ubuntu and ran it for awhile just to see if if was the machine, and it had no problems. I now will reinstall windows 10 another time just to make sure there are no artifacts that could potentially cause this again. 

• The very same here:

Windows 10 Enterprise 1803

Intel i7-4810MQ

AMD Radeon HD 8790M

Intel HD Graphics 4600

16GB RAM

Three Displays used (Two external via DVI, one Build-in)

After opening a project and adding videos in the editor, the Programm freezes with the well known "We're sorry" message"

Deinstallation of Hitfilm 12 (last try: 12.2.8707.07201) and Re-Installation of Hitfilm 11 (11.0.8319.47197) - with 11 it works perfectly fine. I've already sent several times the crash report.

• I am also getting frequent crashes too, especially while attempting to export.  This started happening with latest build of Hitfilm 12. I have sent the crash report a few times, plan to downgrade back to 11 due to instablity with 12.

• I, too, have been having issues with Hitfilm 12 crashing. My Mac (13-inch MacBook Air) meets all the requirements to run the software, and I had no issues running it initially. However, while working with a composite shot with only two film clips and a text effect, Hitfilm would repeatedly freeze and I'd have to use Force Quit. This issue has occurred in both the 12.2 and the directly previous version (I only updated to 12.2 for the bug fixes that might alleviate my issue, but that seemed to only make it worse). I now cannot even resize text in a composite shot (without film clips involved) without Hitfilm 12 freezing.

As I am a newer user that was considering purchasing an add-on pack, this is really upsetting for me. I'm going to go back to 11 and hope that will fix the issue. Until now my experience with Hitfilm had been really good. I just hope the issues that people are having get resolved. Additionally, if there is anything that I may be doing to cause this (user error-wise) I would love any feedback from more experienced users.

• @aminotmerciful which version of the MacBook Air have you got?

• Same problem

• edited April 13

@CedricBonnier
    I have a MacBook Air (High Sierra) early 2015 13-inch version.

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

• I'm having the exact same issue. Frequent crashes. 17 never crashed for me. Sigh. 

I5-6600 @ 3.5GHz

RAM: 16GB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

• @smellman88 have you updated to 12.3 released in the last couple days?

• I have continuous crashes with v 12.3 (crashes = application vanishes).
    In the events observatory, I see this dll causes the Application error :
    nvoglv64.dll
    found here :
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvami.inf_amd64_a3d5bcc37ff12fed\nvoglv64.dll
    It seems the NVIDIA OpenGL Driver is not found and display this error :
    Error code: 3 (subcode 2)
    (pid=11324 tid=16624 hitfilmexpress.exe 64bit)

• Interesting, so you may need to reinstall your Nvidia drivers

• With my "old" drivers, HF crashes but may also run during a full hour without problem.
    I downloaded and installed a few minutes ago fresh new driver from Nvidia (version issued 24th April).
    After 5 minutes work, HF crashed.
    I don't think Nvidia is the culprit. Other users have other Graphics and observe the same crash problem.