Applying tracking data to effect parameters

I'm completely new to HitFilm, and I'm looking to use it partly to replace After Effects in my workflow. I've been playing with it a bit this morning, and I'm not entirely sure if it's possible or how to go about it, but I'm wondering if there's a way to track a feature and then apply the tracking data to an effect property. I know I can parent an entire layer to a null point, but I'm stumped on the other thing, and I'm not sure what to search to see if I can find a solution.

As an example, if I wanted to use a flare effect, but have the position of the hot spot center follow a tracked feature in the footage, am I able to do that?

Any help or tutorial suggestions, etc., would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

You're almost there. Look at the Lens Flare Position controls. There's an option to set Hotspot position to a layer. In this case  the point layer. A similar option can be found in many effects, like 3D Extrusion or Atomic Particles. Although for those two effects it's called "Transform From."