"Just waiting for Friday" (copyright issues in the last post)

Hi!

I posted the teaser a couple of weeks ago. It might be too long for the average attention span of YouTube watchers, but it went nicely in the Peer Awards gala. We had this time ~130 in the audience, and people voted for each other a total of 840 times, and we got 178 different people receiveing feedback from colleagues! Hence the name of the event, "Peer Awards".

Anyway, I was panicking big time because this time I didn't just film it show, but I also wrote it, edited, VFX'd it and more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhY-VwSmW1E

There's plenty of mistakes. Actually so many, that from learning perspective I'll be making a series of videos in my channel: "Just waiting for Friday - mistakes were made".

I hope some of you have the time to watch it :)

Comments

• Hi there,

I just wanted to share that the event went well:

https://youtu.be/gvweA3Kr3Ac

And that mistakes were made ')

https://youtu.be/Fw0MU-8b4I8

• edited December 2018

@rutxer Not too bad!! I enjoyed it. Was'nt planning on watching the entire thing, but you hooked me.

The writing, Cinematography,  lighting, and vfx all worked out for me so you can rest easy on that.

Good job.

I'm Impressed with how many Actors/Actresses you got, plus the sets you were able to get for the film.

The Shot at 3:55 was especially impressive and I took notice of it.

Also, very cool how you got the FT templates to work. Especially the Forcefield.

The Infinity war portal I felt stood out a bit too much, but that was the only mistake I found, maybe try moving the Blend mode to add next time and add a glow effect to it? 

All in all, though, your film kept me interested until the end, and the editing was very well done.  

Glad to see the event worked out for you, and I also noticed you posted this video on a Friday.

Ps: On the mistakes video it should be titled something like JWFF: Mistakes video coming soon or something like that because when the viewer clicks on the video they expect to get a mistakes video but all they get instead is an announcement that the mistakes videos are coming soon. A little quirk, but yeah.

• edited December 2018

@Xhan47 thank you so much! It actually means a lot that someone who wasn't sitting there that day watched it through!

It's a really fun thing we do at work (it helps in getting actors and locations). It does feel a bit weird sometimes, since I'm the boss or boss's boss of some of the actors, but it tells about our company culture when we have this much fun in our own time! And I just happen to be the nerd who loves cameras, lights and filmmaking :D

You're totally right about the portal bit. Actually my favourite VFX moment is actually at 14:26. When the 'technical writer' stood up, she didn't have the war paint on so I digitally added in post. It's just a few frames, and we almost missed it, but I somewhat managed to keep the continuity there.

And good observation on the title of the mistakes video!

• @rutxer No problem!! It was a very enjoyable watch.

I was wondering if that's how you got the actors./locations. certainly does say a lot about your work culture.

Wow. didn't even notice that war paint bit. Good attention to the continuity.

Thanks! Kind of thought that was off.

Keep up the good work. And I look forward to your next videos where I can see all the mistakes I missed.

•  @Xhan47 I got the "continuity mistakes" video out :) including the fix with VFX on the war paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycITkVRERKQ

That bit was done in Fusion 9, not HitFilm, so my apologies for that.

• edited December 2018

@rutxer Cool!! Really liked seeing the BTS of it, and the unexpected problems you had in the shooting schedule.

Always loved continuity and It's something I've made a lot of mistakes with in my previous films. 

Great to see one of the producers caught it as when you've been editing on something for a long time, everything seems to blend together and you need someone from the outside to point out the little things you've missed.

while it was very smart to shoot the facepaint shot last, it did create continuity errors and it was interesting to see how you fixed them.

Pretty sure a lot of us use Hitfilm and DaVinci Resolve together for our projects, (I know I do.) so It's not a problem, as long as most of the stuff you post has parts of Hitfilm in it.

Really liked the thumbnail, and I'm happy to see you changed the first mistakes video title to coming soon.

Ps: You might want to check on it for the rest of your mistakes videos but it seemed like the sound and sync to your lips was off on this one.  Maybe an audio file got accidentally moved?

Anyway, eagerly anticipating more mistakes videos. 

• This is something, nicely done!

• @Xhan47 thanks for the feedback! The thumbnail business is a tricky one, but I'm trying to put some effort on it. And thanks once again for the suggestion on the intro video's title.

I don't know how I missed the audio synch issue... Especially when I will have a video out about "audio issues" including synching  :D

The next one comes out on Friday, about "how to get rid of flickering lights", which I suffered when shooting at 180fps and using practical (and horribly) lights. I quickly show HitFilm and Resolve both in that one for fixing it. Stay tuned ;)

@roven Thanks for stopping by and the feedback!

• @rutxer "The next one comes out on Friday"

well, since you said that... now we're all just waiting for Friday

• edited December 2018

@rutxer Welcome.  Liking the Thumbnails so far, keep it up.

Might have to put that mistake in your mistake video about audio synching. 

Looking forward to it.

@JMcAllister good one. 

• How to get rid of flickering lights when shooting slo-mo! Because we need to live with horrible practicals, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgl5jVvKIII

• @rutxer Cool!! 

Have to remember that when I have flickering light issues. 

Very enlightening (Punny), and interesting stuff.  

Also great to see you added Hitfilm + Davinci Resolve in the title.

(And the Sound sync was much better.)

Looking forward to the next one, probably on Friday? would be a good system.

• @Xhan47 thanks!

I've been releasing them on Tuesdays and Fridays, but maybe I should just skip the Tuesday. Hmmm.

The next one (initially for next Tuesday) is about camera movement and framing.

• edited December 2018

@rutxer Welcome.

I would skip Tuesday and release them on Fridays only instead.

Once a week is good. But twice? that's a bit too much for me and I wouldn't be able to give you feedback as I have been.

So I would suggest just Fridays, it will make it easier for all of us on the forums. 

• @Xhan47 sound advice!

So now I have scheduled:

- Friday 21.12 Camera movement and framing

- Friday 28.12 Mistakes were made lighting the interview scenes

- Friday 4.1 Just waiting for Friday's AUDIO issues

I can go on Christmas holidays to my home country with good conscience and 3 videos coming! :)

• edited December 2018

@rutxer Awesome. That will work better thanks.

Always a good idea to spend the holidays surrounded by fellowship, family, and friends. 

• Wow! Great tip about fixing flickering! 

• Ditto!  That's a great tip. 

Wonder if that works on monitor flicker?

• @CleverTagline @Stargazer54 thanks! Not sure about monitor flicker, it wiuwo really depend on the frequency of the flicker Vs shutter speed, FPS and probably a few more things :)

Today's Friday release: challenges with camera movement and framing:

https://youtu.be/gN4GG_dVIkQ

I'm experimenting with the titles in YouTube :)

• edited December 2018

@rutxer Making the dialogue scene look like a Bourne Identity fight sequence.

Nice.

Very helpful video, my favorite episode so far. Music accompanied it nicely. 

Was wondering how you shot it, the reflection in the glass was a nice tip as well.

Likeing the thumbnail and new title strategy.

Another great episode Roger, keep it up.

(Ps: From  3:08- 3:10 there is a jump cut, and we don't know what he says next. )

Looking forward to the 4th episode next week.

•  @Xhan47

Thanks! I hope you like the following one also.

One thing I didn't mention in the video but was useful, is being taller than the talent :') I could hold the two handed gimbal comfortably at chest level, and the camera was at head height of the talent.

I got some more uploads ready:

- 11.1 white balance issues

- 18.1 getting a copyright claim on a song I have license for

- 25.1 free script writing tools from Amazon

Cheers guys!

• @rutxer Cool, extra tip.

Sounds good.

• edited December 2018

This week, mistakes whilen lighting the sofa/interview scenes.

https://youtu.be/mR3FLnAsBfY

And I wish you all a great entry to 2019!!

• edited December 2018

@rutxer

Nice!! Always interested in lighting tips and it was nice to see a BTS/blooper of un proper, flimsy/lighting setup.

Really liked the picture that popped up ar 2:46 to help emphasize shaving.

Again though, make sure to triple check your titles: the name of the first video on the recommended says,

Does your short film has continuity mistakes? Ours did. Instead of:

Does your short film have continuity mistakes? Ours did.

Thanks!! Happy early New year to you, yourself and I'll see you on the next episode, next year.

• @Xhan47 thanks again for stopping by and giving valuable feedback.

I fixed the title. I wanted to blame English language being (obviously) not my first, but that was a too obvious mistake :)

• @rutxer No problem.

Cool.

• edited January 4

Here another Friday with a "Just waiting for Friday" related video.

This week: audio issues! Some were fixed and some... Well, you can watch it :)

https://youtu.be/eg835J63qhw

And thanks @DafterThings for stopping by already in YouTube!

• @rutxer Gotta say I love the music choices.

Another great video. I figured there were some audio problems in the film but I never caught any myself.

You cropped out the mike? That's impressive.

The one problem I will say is that since this video was slightly longer than all the others, that there wasn't enough cutting from you to other things, and I saw you too much talking directly at the camera so it started to get boring.

Anyway, looking forward to the next entry in the Friday/Mistakes series.

• Fair enough on the boring-ness, but I had syufs to say :)

And the cropping wasn't that impressive :) it's one of the beauties of shooting 4K and delivering FullHD, you can crop and reframe without loosing quality.

It's even possible to pan and zoom digitally, but I don't like to do it because it tends to look artificial very quickly unless is minimal and subtle.

• @rutxer Wow, that is cool. Never heard of that before.

You can also artificially pan and zoom in Hitfilm's 3d plane editor. But I use it sparingly for the same reason.