Feature request: Asset Management

In short, the type of thumbnail views, cataloging, 5-star rating, Metadata tagging and mass culling available in Lightroom or OnOne PhotoRaw. Some users are making the Photoshop comparisons, but I'd like to see Lightroom-like asset management. I'm about to return from Australia and New Zealand with well over a terabyte in pictures. I know I'll do much of my edits in Imerge  but I'll be going through PhotoRaw first to find my hero shots.

@WhiteCranePhoto this is what you'd discussed in that other forum post  correct? 

Comments

• edited November 2018

Yep, that's what I was referring to. Browsing, rating, filtering by rating, adding metadata, searching by metadata...

I don't want to have to go back to Photoslop… 

• I agree. Adding some basic features like these will go a really long way to make this more useful to more people and reduce the stack.

• @Triem23 and @WhiteCranePhoto. Anybody else with a view feel free to post with your opinions too.

This kind of asset management is something we have been considering for the future. We want to do it well though so it might take some time to come and V1 might be minimal. So to help guide us, can I ask a few questions...

• Where do you store your photos (local hard drive, external hard drive, NAS, cloud storage, etc)?
    • Do you want the software to move images into its catalogue and keep a central store or would you prefer to have it link to places on the disk and allow you to manage it?
    • What kind of organisation mechanism do you prefer? Folders, Events, Timelines or just search on tagged metadata.
    • How big are your libraries in terms of Image counts and Disk space?
    • Are you mostly shooting RAW, JPEG or combined RAW+JPEG?
    • Do you need any cloud storage integration and which ones do you use? (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Google Photos, 500px, Flickr, etc)
  • External drives, though eventually I'd like transition to a NAS with cloud backups

Links -- and they need to be relinkable in case drive letters change. Including the drive label in the metadata would be a nice bonus, now that I think about it... in the UNIX world that might be less feasible as well as less necessary (still Microdork's biggest blunder, IMO), but having that label in the metadata would help locating an original when I need it... provided that I've imported it into the library at some point.

For photos, folders work well for me. When I copy images from my memory cards I put them in folder organized by subject (e.g. a trip like Patagonia or by the name of the model), then by a specific location or genre.  Being able to search across ALL of the pics in the library by metadata would be very nice.

How big is hard to quantify... I have nearly 30 hard disks in my apartment with film and photo assets on them. We're look probably at an aggregate of over 100 TB. 

I shoot raw unless I happen to be using a camera that can't. 

Cloud storage integration would be a nice thing to have. I use Google Drive and OneDirve to share previews, with clients and models, but it would be nice to be able to upload directly to somewhere like Pixoto or Instagram from the application. 

I'd love to be able to get R3D support in there also (yes, I know it's technically a video format, but Red cameras also have stills modes)… and since my Red has enough resolution for poster sized prints plus medium format color quality... 

Right now to use software like Lumenar to edit them, I end up having to export R3D stills (or frames from video) as PSD or TIFF, which end up being 240MB files while the R3D source files are only around 20-40MB per frame depending on compression ratio settings. 

Of course, I'm also hoping for R3D support in HitFilm… but I'm probably and oddball for that. :)

• Thank you @WhiteCranePhoto - that helps a lot.

• Does that mean we can get Redcode support? 

• Where do you store your photos (local hard drive, external hard drive, NAS, cloud storage, etc)? - In the past I have always preferred to work off an interior drive (any time I've worked on an NAS it's a nightmare), but, some of my more recent projects just don't fit on my machine's internal drives, so I am trying an exterior right now. Actually, One1 PhotoRaw is building it's cache as I speak. For some reason cataloging some 25,000 pictures and video clips is taking a long time... (because there's 25,000 of them)
    • Do you want the software to move images into its catalogue and keep a central store or would you prefer to have it link to places on the disk and allow you to manage it? - I'm thinking pointer files (links) are the way to go. I'm sure some people would prefer files copied to the catalogue, but that's going to double storage requirements.
    • What kind of organisation mechanism do you prefer? Folders, Events, Timelines or just search on tagged metadata.
      I'd need folders and metadata. My organization is to move files into folders by date. If I've correctly got the clocks on the various cameras synced up (For my Australia/New Zealand trip there's a Canon 5D MkIV, Canon SX60HS, GoPro Hero 6 Black and three smartphones, as well as some images sent to me by others or downloaded of other's websites.) then I can sort everything by date and have everything in proper order. Cull and delete the terrible pics, then start batch renaming. Using one day as an example, we went to Platypus House, Seahorse World, stopped by the Batman Bridge, then to a Blue Penguin Nesting site, plus whatever random pics I took during the day. If all the timecodes are properly set, then all the "Platypus House" pictures across all cameras are together for quick batch renaming. 181025_PlatypusHouse_xxx (181025 is the date). After that I'd probably use metadata to do more detailed tagging: Platypus, Echidna, Signage, etc. This reminds me, editing Metadata would be nice. I had a couple of days where one camera was set for the wrong time zone, and I had to edit the capture times to make everything work smoothly.
    • How big are your libraries in terms of Image counts and Disk space?  That's going to depend on the project. For a single-day wedding I night generate between 500-1000 initial images, probably discording a third to a half in my first cull. This might be 10-20 GB. More if I'm doing video (My most recent wedding is 140GB). If I'm bringing in a 6-week trip...1.8 terabytes for Australia and New Zealand, and I still have two phones to import (although those won't be more than another 60GB AT MOST).
    • Are you mostly shooting RAW, JPEG or combined RAW+JPEG? RAW+JPEG if I can. JPEG at a lower resolution than the RAW. Ideally the software would treat a paired RAW+JPEG as a "single" file... Rate the RAW the JPEG gets rated the same, Delete one, the other goes with it.
    • Do you need any cloud storage integration and which ones do you use? (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Google Photos, 500px, Flickr, etc) I'm a luddite who doesn't trust the cloud. I have multiple physical backup drives, but just assume I'm atypical and everyone will wont cloud. I use Dropbox for general cloud storage. I have a Google Drive (because I have an Android phone), but have never used it. Flickr? Hahahahaha! Only for another hundred or so images... At least they didn't pull a Photobucket and charge users to download their own images after they started charging for services.
  •  

• Where do you store your photos (local hard drive, external hard drive, NAS, cloud storage, etc)? Local and external hard drive with backups to multiple NAS located in different locations for extra security in case my place burns down or I have a failure while traveling with my laptop
    • Do you want the software to move images into its catalogue and keep a central store or would you prefer to have it link to places on the disk and allow you to manage it? I also would greatly prefer links
      Metadata for sure, and I really like the idea of being able to edit the metadata. Also, time/date, and by folder
    • How big are your libraries in terms of Image counts and Disk space? Thousands of files sorted into project folders, maybe 500GB in total
    • Are you mostly shooting RAW, JPEG or combined RAW+JPEG? RAW+JPEG
    • Do you need any cloud storage integration and which ones do you use? (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Google Photos, 500px, Flickr, etc) I am also a luddite when it comes to cloud storage and do not use it, hence the multiple NAS. I personally would rather be in control of my property and security of said property. But, I also imagine I am in the minority since cloud xxx is all the rage.
    • Where do you store your photos (local hard drive, external hard drive, NAS, cloud storage, etc)?
      combination of local and external drives
    • Do you want the software to move images into its catalogue and keep a central store or would you prefer to have it link to places on the disk and allow you to manage it?
      links allowing it to be managed without creating a large duplicated disk store
      folders and metadata would be the best route, with the ability perhaps to add a single image to multiple 'folders' within the catalogue
    • How big are your libraries in terms of Image counts and Disk space?
      somewhere in the region of 100 TB in total, no idea on image counts
    • Are you mostly shooting RAW, JPEG or combined RAW+JPEG?
      for event work its JPEG, for studio its RAW+JPEG
    • Do you need any cloud storage integration and which ones do you use? (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Google Photos, 500px, Flickr, etc)
      not needed as all my cloud stores also are duplicated in local ones
  • It would be awesome to see a organization tool for imerge Pro just like in Lightroom

• rikkiloadesrikkiloades Staff
    edited January 21

Hey @Andersen01498. Some users have been discussing this here: https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/48522/feature-request-asset-management/.

Please do let us know your thoughts on exactly what you would like to see in that topic.

(Mod edit: this is the thread rikki tagged. Triem23) 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited January 21

@Andersen01498 I merged your thread with this one. As @rikkiloades says, this is already under discussion and rikki posted a list of questions higher up this thread. Take a look and consider answering for yourself  :) 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Andersen01498 this is just a re-tag cuz sometimes tags don't tag in edited comments. See above.