Anything Imerge can do that you can't already do in Hitfilm?

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around things I can't already do in Hitfilm.  I have often used Hitfilm when creating  custom and unique backgrounds that are honestly just easier to do that in Photoshop.  I have layers, and plus I can scrub through the timeline with say a background of particle effects to get the exact look I want. Then export that frame as a PNG.   I can chroma key, etc with Hitfilm.  What is target audience for Imerge  -  Users that don't already have Hitfilm, or is this meant as a companion to Hitfilm focusing on stills. 

Comments

• rikkiloadesrikkiloades Staff
    edited October 2018

Hey @jphillips

Thanks for popping by. So your question could end up with me constructing very long reply but I will do my best to summarise...

So Imerge is primarily focused on Image compositing. If you need to edit and/or combine still images then you are the target audience for Imerge. It can absolutely be used as a companion to HitFilm and we will looking to improve the way they work together in future.

The workflow you describe, where you create an image in HitFilm, scrub the timeline and export as PNG. We saw quite a lot of people doing just that and some of us at FXhome even did that. However there is a lot of stuff which requires a unique approach when it comes to photography, support for different file formats and a different user interface. So that was part of the impetus for making Imerge.

Imerge's image processing pipeline is different to HitFilm. Some of this is specific to the context of photography and still images, other bits may make their way to HitFilm in the future where it makes sense and is useful.  Here is a selection of things that make Imerge unique:

• It is built to work with larger resolution files and typically higher bit-depths. It only has to do one, not 24 or 30 of them per second but its still a lot of data to process and that sometimes requires a slightly different approach. A full HD video is around 2 million pixels per frame. A 4K video is around 8 million pixels per frame. Todays cameras are producing images with at 12 million  on phones, averaging at 24 million pixels in the enthusiast and bulk of the professional market and very high end stuff is around 50 million pixels. So you can see the two are working with very different sizes.
    • It can work with camera RAW files (stills not video) and does so at 16-bit by default. 
    • It can batch process variations of composites based on switching layers out with different underlying image and text variations.
    • Masks can be put on effects to localise the changes to a particular part of a layer reducing the need to duplicate layers as much as in other tools.
    • Luminance masks - masks based on the brightness of the pixels. Want to only affect the shadow areas, or highlights, put this on an effect and you have that right out of the box.
    • Color masks - masks based on the hue and saturation of the pixels (aka color). Want to only affect the really saturated greens put this on the effect in question and hey presto you have isolated your effect to that area.
    • Gradient masks - self explanatory hopefully.
    • Clarity - allows you to manipulate the local contrast in the image and fine details.
    • Tone Coloring - allows you to remove or add color casts to your image. You have controls to do this to the entire image, to just the shadows, mid-tones or highlights.
    • Color adjustment - allows you to change the hue, saturation or luminance of a color range in the image.
    • Black and White - again you can achieve much of this in HitFilm, but it has bundled in its tool the ability to change the brightness of different areas based on the original color. So say you had a person in a green landscape. You might want to darken greens, browns and yellows and brighten red-browns to increase contrast between the person and the background.
    • Dehaze - removes mist and fog from images an deepens the blue in some skys.
    • Pattern overlay - allows you to use an image of a pattern to fill in an image or text. Allows you to do some rather graphical things.
    • Saturation editor - allows you to change the saturation of particular colors by editing a graph.
    • Printing directly from the software

If you haven't watched this video, you may want to do so as it helps explain things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHvgPVmxV7w

Our product pages give more info here: https://fxhome.com/imerge-pro

The user guide for Imerge Pro can be found here: https://fxhome.com/reference-manuals/imerge-pro

Really the best way for you to get a feel for it is to download the demo and give it a try: https://fxhome.com/imerge-pro/demo

Let us know if you have any feedback or further questions.