A Lego stopmotion tutorial made with Hitfilm Express

https://youtu.be/G6AWlchKQ6A

Even if you're not interested in making Lego videos, you still may find this interesting. I'd love some feedback!

Comments

• Great tutorial! Detailed enough to give viewers real, useful information, but short enough to give you room to expand further on those topics in future videos if you so choose. :+1:

• Is that "hands spinning around at the wrist" a 'thing' in brickfilms in general, or just yours? It's incredibly distracting.

• Great job.

Often tutorials overlook the importance of pre-production so good to see it covered here.
    I agree with @jsbarrett with just the right amount of depth to be useful throughout the process with scope to go deeper if needed.

• @Palacono I just use the spinning hands thing to show the characters speaking. I don’t really find it distracting though, I actually quite like it!

@jsbarrett Yeah I think there is a lot of room for expansion on some of these topics, but the video is already my longest by far, so I didn’t want to potentially bore the viewers by going into the specific section of every part. @DafterThings, I’ve seen so many Lego tutorials focusing in the production aspect too heavily, so I wanted to focus on things that aren’t always focused on a lot, since there are so many tutorials out there, I wanted mine to be different.

• edited October 17

I agree with @Palacono about the wrist-spin being distracting. If you want to do things to convey that the characters are speaking, work on more variation in body language.  Turn the head a little, tilt the torso, lift/lower the arms, or do more subtle tilts with the wrists.  As with other forms of animation, pull your ideas from life and adapt them to fit the constraints of these characters. Also consider putting yourself in their shoes. If you had their physical limitations, would you arbitrarily spin your wrists around just because you can, or just to show another character that you're saying something? Probably not.

• edited October 17

I watched a few other brick films . Luckily "wrist spinning" isn't a universal thing and others manage to convey talking by other means.

All movement draws the eye. If a real actor kept on frantically blinking while they talked, or was playing with a Yo-Yo or fiddling with a Rubik's Cube, then they'd be distracting you from everything else in the frame. Granted, actors do try to 'steal a scene' by doing something very, very subtle in the background when another actor is talking, ( doing "a bit of business" with a prop) but almost subliminally, or they'd get a clout from the other actor or an "Oi, stop that!" From the director.