Stuttering Fly-In Effect (How did they do it?)

I am trying to recreate this effect, a kind of stuttering fly-in effect, but for some reason, I can't quit figure out how they did it. Do you think frame were dropped or is it simply velocity changes? I watched it several times in slow motion and there is a lot of blur between some frames. It looks like they shot it with having this effect in mind because when you slow it down you can see the camera does not seem to be trying to shoot straight or maybe that's because it was a helicopter shot. IDK, just trying to figure out how I can do this in Hit Film.

The effect can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w

at the 15-18 second mark where Jack Lord is standing on the lanai at the Ilikai Hotel. It is cool to me how well this sequence was edited to the drums and it conveys a lot of energy.

Appreciate any insights into this shot.

Thanks

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Neither. You're talking the 1960s. This was before anyone did speed ramps and before gimbals and stabilizers were a thing. Reframing in post didn't happen either, and shakey camera work was not a style choice.

That's a handheld shot from a helicopter shot at a low frame rate. The "stutter" is simply the camera op shaking because he's in a moving, vibrating helicopter pulling a zoom by manually twisting a knob and trying to keep the camera pointed at Jack Lord. That would have been the smoothest take they had.

No VFX. 

• edited September 22

@karma17
    @Triem23

This is how it was described in an article I read years ago -- no idea where.  They  used a helicopter to fly away from Jack Lord, then they ran it through an optical printer to reverse the sequence.  To make the hyper-zoom time out to the shot exactly, they certainly skipped frames in the optical printing .

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Davlon did they skip frames or play back at a higher speed? I do stand corrected.