The Black Panther Credits Effect(Suggestions Please)

As school winds down and my homework load begins to lighten, I've finally found time to experiment more with Hitfilm. Here's something I've been working on, the Black Panther Credits effect. As many most likely know, at the end of Black Panther, sculptures made of sand are showcased across the scene as the credits roll. I've attempted to recreate this using a 3D model and the parallax effect, suggestions would be awesome!

file:///C:/Users/gakoz/OneDrive/Pictures/BP%20Credits%20Test%201.mp4

Just copy and paste the link to check it out. 

Comments

• @thedragonfilmmaker88 ;  Bummer, dude.  It says no go...at least for me anyway. 

• @tddavis The link? Let me see what I can do

• I'll upload the video and private it so you can still check it out

• edited June 7

@thedragonfilmmaker88 ; That works now.  The only thing that I see that jumps out at me (and you probably are aware this as well) is the "sand" displacement/texture stays in one place as the figure rotates so it becomes a quick spot that it's an overlay.  Since you are already using a 3D model, have you had a look at this tutorial for Blender (if that's the one you use):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lDpO-Xx_ww

It might give you some ideas.

• @tddavis Interesting stuff, I have the program downloaded and will probably fool around with this effect later. Any ideas on Hitfilm based adjustments that could get rid of the issue you mention?

• @thedragonfilmmaker88 ; Sadly, no.  I'm not very adept at Hitfilm (or Blender, for that matter.)  @Triem23 or one of the other Hitfilm Pros will have far, far better ideas there than I.  I have never tried that tutorial in Blender either but after a quick search it looked like it might be useful.

• @thedragonfilmmaker88 Because the model is moving with the help of a point, you could parent the Parallax effect's source texture layer to the same point.  That way the texture moves with the model.  However, this will only work for situations where the model is moving straight toward (or away from) the camera, and only turning on the Z axis (as in your example).  Any X or Y axis rotation would once again make the texture slide across the surface of the model.

• I just found this tutorial that even has a sample project file for Blender that you might be able to pick apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foFtlPQmx-I

• @jsbarrett What a great idea! I'm definitely going to give that a try, it sounds promising.

@tddavis The issue is that I'm not attempting to make the sand wipe away as the tutorials you have been presenting me do. However, you bring up a good point, I may be able to pick it apart and get the desired effect.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@thedragonfilmmaker88 @jsbarrett @tddavis ;

Because Parallax is sampling a 2D layer to use as a G2H (grayscale to height) map it's tricky with models. You could attach the height map to a point and shift the map around as a 3D plane, but you're still likely to get slipping. 

Now, let's assume the source 3D model is properly UV mapped. Great! Use the height map texture as the Diffuse Texture on the model! Now you've wrapped the height map around the model! 

Consider using Atomic Particles instead of Parallax. Atomic can be placed on 3D models and if you set a low Disperse (Displacement? Not on a computer right now to actually look at the controls) value--like 5--then you might get a better look. Just make sure to find the speed settings for fractal parameters and set them to zero so the particles don't move.

IMPORTANT NOTE. Psuedo-3D effects like Parallax, Atomic Particles, 3D Extrusion, etc work with lights a little differently than 3D models and planes. First, if you select Comp Lights in these effect's Illumination settings, that's ALL lights, whether or not there are multiple 3D batches separated by grade layers... 

Second, the pseudo 3D lights are generated and added to lighting from an object's 3D position. To put it another way when you put Parallax on a 3D model it's first lit by the scene lights, then LIT AGAIN by Parallax. This makes it really easy to blow out the model. Try turning off "Illuminated" in the model layer's Material properties, then adjusting the Material Settings in the Illumination group of the Parallax effect. This applies to Atomic Particles as well. 

Hope this makes sense. 

• @Triem23 Because I have experience with it, I jumped to try out the atomic particle method, however, it experiences a similar issue to the first test,  it seems as if it simply moves along the 2D layer. 

In Atomic look for the "Transform From" and set it to whatever point the model is parented to. 

• UPDATE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxeAB6QTCN0&feature=youtu.be

So here's another attempt, I ditched the parallax and I'm quite satisfied with the atomic particles. Now that it's the weekend, I can devote more time and possibly create a tutorial on this effect.

• It looks a little better, but you still have the issue of the model moving through the particle texture, rather than the particles moving with the model.  I've got very little experience with both (models and Atomic Particles), and no time to experiment right now, so I'm afraid I can't offer a solution just yet.

• @jsbarrett If I use a point to create the model movement, then parent the transform form of the Atomic Particles, I think that'll solve things.

• Ah. I saw that tip from @Triem23 above, and somehow thought that your latest test incorporated that.

• After effects, but posted in case anything can be adapted to hitfilm. 

https://youtu.be/LOLw7eL0_po

@GodofThunder regarding this Ae tutorial. There are some nice tips here on background elements which make this worth a watch, and yes, most of this can be converted to Hitfilm.

The "100% Ae" version can mostly be done as described. Hitfilm has a Roughen Edges type filter. Nothing like the CC Ball Magic, but something else could be done with a little thought. In Hitfilm we use Set Matte, not Track Matte, but almost the same. Hitfilm doesn't have Light Sweep, but that can be recreated with a couple of gradients, using the previously created set matte source to choke it and a Screen blend. Use Hue Colorize or Color Vibrance instead of Color Toner. 

The Trapcode Form stuff would use Atomic Particles as discussed above. Only difference is Atomic doesn't have shadowlets so maybe a second Atomic layer would be used for glints. Instead of OBJ sequences Hitfilm would import ABC or FBX animation. 

When Hashi discusses (briefly) using a grayscale map with Displacement for some fake 3D motion, well, there's a good Hitfilm tutorial on that... Although I may be biased as it's mine. 

https://youtu.be/LsrnBpAWag4

Otherwise that same Displacement map can be used in Atomic Particles just like form. 

Finally, Hashi attached point emitters in Trapcode Particular. Well, Hitfilm's Particle Sim can do that.

• I had a little go at something on this using a free Panther model I found and an asphalt texture.  I imported it into Blender and resized the UVs and used Crazy Bump to generate some other maps then exported it as an FBX and imported into Hitfilm and did a little something something with the camera and such.  It's not that great but it was only about a half hour playing (for me.  Others could do it in a couple minutes!!)

https://youtu.be/uwUwiDSd2Sw

• edited June 10

I tried as well using Blender and created two spheres and made a procedural texture for each. One slightly glossy the other was rough. Then grouped them and added a hair particle to the character. Then I animated the camera and exported that as a hitfilm composite shot. Took that blend file into EEVEE for a quick render of a short 90 frame animation with transparent alpha png image sequence. Opened up Hitfilm and added in a 360 environment to use with the composite shot with the camera solve. Then I was able to add in an additional particle system in Hitfilm to animate the sand moving along certain parts of the feet. Would post it but it was a lower quality render so there was quite a bit of noise in the EEVEE render as it was done on the laptop. I am also horrid at using Hitfilms particle system. I know it is quite powerful but just never got the hang of it. Need to play around with it some more. 

I think honestly it would be an easier thing to accomplish with 3d software than using Hitfilm (No disrespect to Hitfilm) But the click, add hair particles to the object and that part is pretty much done.

This is the material look at a higher quality render of one frame. https://imgur.com/t95SwmD

• I went with Blender as well for my attempt. This is a render of what the sand material character looks like. I also did a short camera movement with it as well and rendered out to a png image sequence along with a hitfilm camera export from blender to hitfilm with a 360 hdri so the background moved with the camera along with the lighting.  https://i.imgur.com/t95SwmD.png

• @FlyingBanana78 That looks fantastic! Did you follow a tutorial? If so, please provide it, if not, could you perhaps give e a quick rundown so I could try my luck as well?

• @FlyingBanana78 ; I like your texture a lot more than mine even after my 2nd try using a different pebble texture which hasn't been posted.  What did you use for yours?

• @GodofThunder @Triem23 Yes, that's the tutorial I had gotten the idea for, but I struggled to adapt everything correctly. However, I must say, the blender version looks amazing... 

• After I finish some studying, I may come back and give the AE tutorial a spin again. Now that I'm viewing @Triem23 's response, it may be more effective.

@thedragonfilmmaker88

I played around a bit myself tonight. Only for about 10 minutes, but a couple observations.

First time I've ever put Atomic on a model. There's a drop down option that only appears on a 3D model. Sorry, don't remember the exact name, but the default is "Screen Space." In my quick test I think the second of the three options worked best.

In the Atomic settings go down to the Illumination settings and turn on Comp Lights.. 

Atomic Particles don't self-shadow, so I think you'll need two layers of Atomics. The bottom is your dark copy, so adjust the Atomic Illumination settings. Turn down specular and shininess and adjust Diffuse to taste. The top copy will be glints. Turn down the particle count and in Illumination turn down Diffuse and turn up Specular and Shininess. Try a starting Dispersion of about 5,but turn the Dispersion of the glint layer up a point or two so the glints are just a bit farther out.

Trapcode Form is more advanced than Atomic Particles, but it's a $500 plug in, so it really should be. I was getting something decent in about five minutes, so I think with finessing you'll get something quite good. That said, if you're Blender literate, Blender will do a better job. Hashi did a nice job with form, but Zoic's titles were done in a full 3D app. 

Hope this helps. B) 

• @Triem23 Yeah, I'll give Hitfilm a try again. Although I know he basics of Blender, I've never created anything as complex as @GodofThunder, so I'll stick with Hitfilm Pro until he maybe gives a rundown or a tutorial that might be useful.

• I didn’t do the tut! Just posted it in case it helped. 

• @GodofThunder Ahhh, I see, is there any specifics you could tell me as to how you created it, or do you suggest I just stick with Hitfilm for now?

Sign in to comment