Video Copilot Glitch Tutorial

Just for fun, I decided to see if I could replicate Video Copilot's new tutorial on glitch effects.

I'm currently stuck at 13:28 in the video, where he colorizes the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rc0dNDzbuM&index=1&list=LLeAW6IHu04fI7jFWH0_V34Q&t=896s

Is there a way to achieve the same effect in Hitfilm Pro?

Comments

• You have all the colour options like RGB and such, should be able to apply that. I got the reflection writing quite well https://youtu.be/znpSn3Yct-4

• Andy001z thank you for responding but I'm not at the reflection part yet.

I'm referring to the part at 13:28 where he uses "Colorama" to create different colors based on the glitch displacement map. I can't figure out how to get the same effect in Hitfilm...

• Yay! I figured out the color effect. I also have some very nice reflections.

Now I'm stuck at the point where he isolates the saturated parts, so that the glow can be applied only to the colored/saturated areas. (29:07 in the tutorial)

Is there any way to have a glow only apply to the saturated parts of the video in Hitfilm?

• I couldn't resist having a play, and found a way to do it, though it requires taking your glitch comp and nesting it in another comp.  Here's a screenshot of my result and the layers involved:

Here's a breakdown of the setup...

The Source comp is exactly what you see, minus the glow on the red portion.  I dropped that into Composite Shot 1 three times (or dropped it in once and duplicated it twice, it's still the same result).

The lowest version I renamed "Find Saturation."  Onto it I dropped the Color Space Converter effect, where I changed the From property to Saturation, and the To property to Alpha Only.  This essentially creates a white layer with the alpha set to match the saturation.  Above this layer I added a grade layer and named it "Saturation Matte Source."

The topmost copy of my source comp is the one named "Matte, Glow," and you can probably guess what effects it uses.  First is Set Matte, targeting the Saturation Matte Source, and the second is glow effect, with the glow Blend mode set to Normal.

Not sure how well this will dovetail into the rest of what you're doing, but it works.  :)

• @jsbarrett thank you for the help! I altered what you did slightly and it worked great. 

Here is the final video:

https://youtu.be/Yr6Hsu5z8UM

• Awesome!  That's a really slick effect.  Might take a crack at it myself once I have some free ti-... 

Who am I kidding? I'll probably barely have time to watch the original at double speed and hope something sinks in.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@ZachAlan_Productions nice take on this look! 

@jsbarrett I think you'll get all of it. 

Long story short. A Fractal Noise set to a Block type is set to a wide horizontal scale. The Fractal Brightness sweeps full black to white. The gray scale animation drives Displacement and a Set Matte (Luminance) on a text layer. Make the text and fractal their own comp.

The wipe between logos is using the same Fractal--inverted alpha and Displacement. 

Colorize with tools of choice. 

Drag the glitch into a new comp. Arrange in 3D space. A duplicate of the glitch is flipped 180 and moved into position to use as a reflection. 

Create a floor surface using a grayscale image. Kramer used a metal plate, but anything will do, really. Arrange this in 3D space.

Kramer precomped the floor and brought it back 3D Unrolled. Just make a 2D comp of your texture image, then nest it in your animation comp as a 3D layer.  Put a grade over the reflection and add blur of choice using the grayscale floor as a set matte to choke the blur. 

Experiment with effects on reflection layer to fine tune the look. Vertical angle blur would be nice.

Experiment with changing contrast in the floor texture comp to tune the reflection.

Use technique of choice to generate the isolated color layer back in the Glich comp shot. Add glow to taste. 

Oh, Kramer did the background with a couple of feathered masked colored planes for floor and back wall. 

In animation comp create another copy of Glitch layer. Rotate 90 degrees on X, lower to floor "surface," blur, set to Screen or Add blend. There's your cast light.

Create cool camera move. 

Anyways, the keys are Displacement for the glitch matched with alpha, and Set Matte to choke some effects. Really a very clever build using some fairly common techniques in a different way. Good stuff. :) 

• I am also working this through to learn but I fail with the floor: It should stay in 3D space but when I set it do drive the blur and move the camera it does not look like a floor. It "moves" with the cam. Something is wrong but I didn't figure out yet what it is...

• @Triem23: One thing is different between the tutorial and my work in Hitfilm: The perspective of the texture layer when used as source for lens blur is ignored. When the camera moves it should be fixed but it behaves as if it is 2D while beeng 3D. When making it visible it is okay but the lines in it do not match the lines of the blurred effect.

I got it running now using lens blur but what I did looks weird to me so I ask you to take a look at it:

First I had the texture 3D at bottom of layer stack. Using that as source for the reflection does not work. I think it is because it is not rendered using the camera position. So switched it visible and put a grade above it. That grade is then used as source for the blur. Now the blur behave correct when the camera moves - but the texture itself is visible which is not wanted.

So I put a black floor above it in 3D space which hides it - but which also hides the reflection glitch. So again I put a grade above it to force rendering the black floor. Now it looks correct, the setup looks logical so far to me but it feels weird ... :)

Here is a screenshot of the layer range, ignore the lights which are turned of and only were a test. 

Glitch setup

Layer 8 just needs to there to make it work...

Please tell me it is right, I wonder if I need a neurologist...

• Also with this setup any light do not affect the reflection glitch since it is rendered before so any light have to be doubled. So I thing something is wrong...

• @triem23 Add: I found a setup which is not as weird as the above one and different from what Cramer did.

From top to bottom: Glitch comp, reflection glitch comp flipped 270 degrees so it is "on the floor", texture comp as 3D (invisible) serving as source for lens blur which is added to the glitch reflection comp.

With that the "pseudo parallax" created with the vertical blur is not needed since the reflection is stretched by parallax depending on the camera position. 

When I use a grade between the two glitch comps as Cramer did with the adjustment layer the parallax of the blur is not correct anymore.

So now I am irritated and wonder why Cramer flipped it 180 degrees when a reflection is on the floor (which is 90 degrees) to the glitch. What do you think? I made a small render (the lighting is wrong, it was only set to see if the blur behaves as if there is a floor) like it does not with the former setup without all those grades between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFegussUs7c

• @ZachAlan_Productions I'm struggling with the camera movement. How are you able make the reflection stick to the ground right from the beginning. Mine is like floating. Can you share your project file? It will be very helpful of you.

• @zlataned could you post a video of what is happening? I might be able to help if I can see what is going on.

@Juda1 in regards to your question about the angle of the reflection layer, Kramer is correct. It should be flipped 180 degrees.

For example, take a smartphone with a reflective screen and place it flat on a desk. Then place a pen facing straight up on top of the phone screen. The reflection is straight up and down, similar to how Kramer's reflections look.

• edited September 8

@ZachAlan_Productions Here's the main glitch: https://vimeo.com/288836900

My glows are terrible as well: https://vimeo.com/288836843

• Hi there,

Sorry for annoying you. I just resumed my work on this project. Earlier I was applying lens blur to get some nice reflections which looked great but they dont move with along with camera. I think that was the main reason why my animation didn't look as it it was on floor. Now I'm stuck again with the reflection part. What should I use to create these reflections.

• @zlataned It looks to me like the reflections are moving with the camera, but the floor itself is not.

How are you creating your floor? Is it in its own composite shot?

If the floor layer is a 3D plane in its own comp, you will need to set this comp to 3D unrolled for it to move with the camera.

Sorry if I can't help very well. I haven't touched this project for a long time so I don't quite know what I did for sure. Plus I have no idea how yours is set up. :)

• How would I get the reflection part? I used to set the floor texture comp as source layer in lens blur effect. If I change it to 3D unrolled I wont be able to select it as source layer. Is there any other way to create reflections?

P.S: It would be extremely helpful if you could just share the project file.

• @zlataned I didn't realize you needed the floor for the lens blur effect. However, couldn't you change the settings in the 3D camera to create a shallow depth of field? This way you don't even need the lens blur effect.

For mine I just used a normal blur effect on the upside-down layer to make it blurry. 

I think yours might even look better than mine once you do this so I don't think you need my project file. :)

Plus, I've done things differently and the project is quite a mess, so you'd be better of working with what you have. :)