AT-AT 3D Model Point Rig in Hitfilm

Comments

• @Stargazer54 I think the next step would be trying to add this into a scene. Problem being I don't know what to add it to... 

• ZCC_Productions   Maybe you could add a snowy atmosphere, and if possible some color grading to the robot.  But otherwise keep up the good work.  Maybe if you wanted to you could do a tutorial on how to rig this model? 

• I like the smoothness of the motion. Something that may be an optical illusion: the two near side puffs look great, the two far ones look a frame or two later. Or maybe they're thinner and the start isn't as visible?

Or none of the above and they're the same. :)

• @ZCC_Productions You could  try a simple scene with a ground plane and a background.

An easy thing to do is to just Google some images and find something that fits your fancy.  Pick one as a background, create a new composite shot and load the background at the bottom of the stack, make it a 3D Layer and push it back in Z.  Pick another one to represent the ground.  Load that next, make it 3D and rotate it in X 90 degrees.

So now you essentially have 2 planes. One for the background and one for the ground.  Position to where it looks right and then pull in your rig  as a composite shot layer and position it accordingly.   That should get you started.

You could get fancy with foreground layers, such as a tree that you draw a mask around and put that on a layer over your walker comp so that it looks like its walks behind the tree.   All sorts of possibilities.

• @Andersen01498 I might do a tutorial, but I don't have any experience in making tutorials...

@Stargazer54 couldn't I also use a video and use mocha to track it and put in the walker? I just don't have/know of a good video yet...

• @ZCC_Productions if that was real woulden't there be less dust on some stomps and more on others? also, I havent worked with pro yet but I think it might look better if you had a plane deflecting the dust particles down where the foot is.

• @D1a1v1e1 yes the dust wouldn't be the same each step, so I can change that easily although I well mess around with the dust further after I put the walker into a scene. And do you mean having a deflector to bounce it up to start with?

• I ment keyframeing it to go down on the bottom of the foot to give it a realistic push.

• @ZCC_Productions Also if you wanted to test it, you could go to PEXLES.com and get a big image of a field or somthing.

• edited January 2017

@D1a1v1e1 Oh I see what you mean now. I will also try some stuff with a picture of a field or something soon...

• I revised and improved the animation some more and made it smoother. I also fixed the far dust clouds looking different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwXrD-90IuU

I can't decide/find a good scene to add it to. Any ideas? probably not a snow scene because it would require footprints and snow settling on the panels of the walker...

• edited February 2017

@ZCC_Productions  Looking at your animation angle, I found this image that could work:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01ci7dc2fYVOWJjSFJDenV1TWc/view?usp=sharing

If you want more sky showing, use Hitfilm masking, GIMP or your photoediting software of choice to replace the sky with something more to your taste.  I particularly choose this because I saw that it had a fairly wide frame so it would allow for camera panning if you choose to go there, and your current dust clouds would fit in here pretty well.  Biggest challenge I would think is making slight depressions under the feet to show the weight of it.

BTW, You've got that looking really good.

• I can't view the video. In my opinion I think you should probably put it in a desert sene or a field of dirt, that way you can cover up grass or snow not leaving footprints with dust.

• You can stick that thing in any scene. :)

• @tddavis that image is pretty good, but I was thinking maybe a dirt road or large flat dirt area would be better so there wouldn't have to be depressions under the feet. Eventually I might make a Star Wars fan film that can use this along with some footage...

• A silly idea, but here is an idea for something to test composite/grade the ATAT into. If you can film a relatively open road intersection. You can have the ATAT can walk up the road, pause at the intersection, look both ways, and then walk through.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited February 2017

@NormanPCN. Or waiting for the train? 

• That would be so funny!

• @Triem23 @D1a1v1e1 @NormanPCN

Good idea! The At-At could walk up, look both ways then cross the tracks...

• I am trying to composite the walker into the train track picture now but am having some problems. When I try to move the 3D unrolled composite shot back so the AT-AT is in the distance, it starts getting cut off the further back it goes. The picture is 2d, so I don't know what it is intersecting or being cut off by...

Also, how would I know if the AT-AT is lined up at the right angle that the road is at?

• I've noticed cutoff of 3D Unrolled model comps as well. Wonder if that's a bug. 

To align the walker ground plane with the road, take a look at this tutorial on camera projection. The way Simon aligns his ground plane here works for what you're doing. Then parent your 3D unrolled comp to the ground plane and set position and orientation to 0,0,0. (You'll then probably have to adjust the walker comp by 90 degrees on X) then drag the walker up till it's feet match. Leave your dummy grid floor active for this and use perspective view to see this more easily. 

• I think it might be a bug. I couldn't figure out a way to fix it @Triem23

Although, for this shot is an embedded comp necessary? Couldn't I just add the picture into the main set-up comp? If the camera position is reset and the AT-AT and the floor plane are lined up with the road it should work I think...

And are you talking about the projector tutorial with the grassy field for the lining up?

Also, how would you go about lighting this scene? I see in the picture where the sun should be based on the shadows, but it is behind where the model will be, so do I need a fill light or ambient light to make it match the lighting in the scene?

Thanks for all your help!

• For this shot you could totally move the BG plate into the same comp as the At-At.

Yes, I'm talking about the tutorial with the grassy field to line up. If you move the BG video into the animation comp I'd parent the At-At (Move Point) to the existing ground plane for the moment, turn off the AT-AT and particle layers for speed, then drag the ground grid around until it aligns with the ground in the photo. Then turn on the At-At and particles and turn off the ground grid.

For lighting--I think I'd probably set the materials for the AT-AT to Cook-Torrance shading, set Fresnel to nickel, Roughness to 15-20, the turn Diffuse Reflectivity to something like 60-70.

In the animation comp, duplicate the BG photo, and make the duplicate a composite shot. Blur this out by 10-20 pixels. Then, in the animation comp, I'd check the At-At materials and set the blurred BG plate to be the Environment Map and make certain Receive Reflections is on.

This will act a lot like IBL (Image Based Lighting). The At-At will take a lot of it's lighting from the background plate.

Wait--I'm gonna save myself typing and refer you to this tutorial, which covers what I just started talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfwkTqO-hrM

• Here's another test! Finally got around to trying to composite this into a scene. The camera accidentally moves at the beginning for some reason but that's an easy fix. Any suggestions on how to make it more realistic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-zm6l1DpW8&feature=youtu.be

• Looks very good, but I think there should be shadows on the front of the AT AT like on the crossing guard lights.  You have the shadow on the ground from the syn behind but the AT AT itself would shade the head, and speaking of the shadow on the ground; it looks like it should pull a little to the viewers left.  Like the right hand front crossing light pole does. You made the right choice using this photo rather then the one I suggested, I must say.

• Like tddavis said, it's adjusting lighting on the AT-AT. If you're using Diffuse Reflectivity and the photo as an Environment Map, dial it back. That and ambient. 

This is a good place to use scopes. Put a waveform on the BG layer (use the effect, not the panel) and limit the area the scope is reading. Focus on a white stripe of the camera left gate. Whatever that luma value is, the front of the walker should be a bit darker. For key light color, sample a white strie in the road, for ambient, sample the road surface. 

Look at the shadow direction of the camera left post. Match that with the walker. Also look at the depth of the shadow. You need higher shadow opacity. 

Comping a model with video or photo is all about matching lighting. 

Walker is too small for accurate scale, but you can let that go for the "looking for a train" joke. 

• Thanks again for the tips!

@Triem23 the shadows are at full opacity already, so I don't know how to fix that. I also noticed the scale inaccuracy, but as you said it's ok for what I'm doing here.

@tddavis I see what you mean with the shadows. I will have to lower the ambient light intensity as it is quite high at the moment to make the front of the walker darker... 

•  If you lower the ambient light to a directional light or a spotlight and fiddle the position of the light behind the model to get the shadowing right then tweak the ambient light to get the  sides and back lit to your desired look it might help.  But hey, you are light years ahead of me in this, so take all of my suggestions with a shaker full of salt.