THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• edited April 2017

As it stands Hitfilm is a great compositor but as much as I love Hitfilm, it's editing, and audio capabilities are somewhat lacking compared to other NLE's out there. I'm hoping in the the near future the developers over at FX home puts more emphasis on sound design/mixing and video editing. 

Some theoretical  features to implement in a future version of Hitfilm:

- Colour grading and audio mixing layouts

- More audio effects including many professional sound mixing tools like graphs, audio waveforms, curves and etc. (Possible in their own seperate windows?) for greater control.

- Audio record button 

- The ability to adjust the height of an individual track in the editor timeline.

- The ability to trim comps or editor timeline to in and out points in work area.

- Ram Preview added to editor

- Multiple editing timelines/sequences in a single project

- Pen tool added as a tool in the media timeline to create fast adjustments to both video and audio tracks.

- Grade Layers in Editor

- Media timeline viewer to follow  playhead whenever it's out of view.

- The ability to double click on any clip from the media panel to have it automatically bring up the trimmer.

- Files in the media panel to keep in and out point properties as if they were dragged from from the trimmer viewer into media timeline.

- The ability to have continuous realtime feedback while messing with the sound mixer and countless other effects. Really helpful for fine tuning audio.

- Speed improvements

- Have program create proxies for files automatically in the background.

- An updated 3D import window that incorporates some elements and features from VideoCopilot's 'Element 3D' - textures, materials, shaders?

- Updated rendering of 3D models within the software

- 3D Camera to include Camera type and Focal length Presets

- Rotoscope tool

• edited April 2017

As it stands Hitfilm is a great compositor. As much as I love Hitfilm, its editing and audio capabilities are somewhat lacking compared to other NLE's out there. I'm hoping in the near future the developers over at FX home puts more emphasis on sound design/mixing and video editing. (I wasn't trying to evoke a negative demeanor when I wrote this. I do think I could've chosen better words because what can I say, I love Hitfilm!!! It's amazing, especially for that price tag!)

Some theoretical  features to implement in a future version of Hitfilm:

- Colour grading and audio mixing layouts

- More audio effects including many professional sound mixing tools like graphs, audio waveforms, curves (I think) and etc. (Possible in their own separate windows?) for greater control.

- Audio record button 

- In and out points display for audio in media trimmer.

- The ability to adjust the height of an individual track in the editor timeline.

- The ability to trim entire comps or editor timelines to in and out points (work area)

- Multiple editing timelines/sequences in a single project

- Pen tool added as a tool in the media timeline to create points/keyframes to both video and audio tracks. (This is a little pet-peeve I have but I really, really, hate having to go up the effects controls to create points to either an audio or video track to make a fade or something like that.) As well as the ability to create bezier curves with points

- Grade Layers in Editor

- Media timeline viewer to follow playhead whenever it's out of view.

- The ability to double click on any clip from the media panel to have it automatically bring up the trimmer.

- Files in the media bin to keep in and out point properties as if they were dragged from the trimmer and into media timeline.

- The ability to have continuous real-time playback while messing with effects. Really helpful for fine tuning audio.

- Speed improvements (less drag while playing audio files)

- Have program create proxies for files automatically in the background, especially while ram previewing. 

- An updated 3D interface/layout import window, resembling VideoCopilot's 'Element 3D v2' or Maxon's Cinema 4D Lite with features like more controls in the 3d model viewer (to make it easier to adjust the anchor point within a 3d model if not imported correctly), the ability to create groups (again, to fix 3D models that don't have the materials/textures imported correctly, and possibly the ability to create strange creations with primitive objects, if that becomes a thing, of course) and those material/texture drag and drop spheres/presets(I don't know if this would really help. I'm not an expert in the world of 3D modeling and what have you. But, I've just seen it in other 3D programs, and in Element 3D, and noticed that it was absent from Hitfilm).

- 3D Camera to include Camera type and Focal length Presets (for clueless idiots, like myself, who don't know how to mathematically calculate the equivalent focal length in the camera controls)

- Rotoscope tool

• Regarding multiple HitFilm instances --- my feature request on that is that if HitFilm is already open, and you "double-click" a HitFilm project, rather than an error message, the open request should be passed to the already-open HitFilm instances, where it can do its Save/Discard/Cancel thing, and open the new request or not. 

• Regarding vertex animation: it is desirable for HitFilm to accept MDD or PC2 vertex animation, not just the much more complex Alembic. Because HitFilm requires modified (unrolled) mesh vertices, that requires modifying a complex Alembic exporter. MDD and PC2 formats are simple, so modifying them to accommodate HitFilm's requirements is rather simple.  Bonus: if HitFilm accommodates MDD and/or PC2, they are simple and the resulting implementation should execute faster than Alembic.

• I forgot who, but, someone talked about wanting the ability to drag a "pre-trimmed" clip from the media bin onto the editing timeline. 

My solution:

1. Make the clip a Composite Shot. In the Comp Shot timeline, trim the clip there.
    2. Slide the new beginning of the clip to the 'head' of the timeline. 
    3. Drag the time indicator to the last frame of the clip and take note of the clip length.
    4. Open the Comp Shot settings, and change it's duration to that clip length.
    5. Done. Now, you have a pre-trimmed clip ready to go. And you have the ability to add effects to that clip as desired.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

I really like @ssontech 's idea about dealing with attempting to start multiple instances of Hitfilm. That's pretty elegant. 

• @ssontech @Triem23 Does it not already do that? It works for me.

@inScapeDigital if I try to open a second instance of Hitfilm I get an "error" message, "Another instance of Hitfilm is already open. You can only have one instance of Hitfilm open at a time."

I'm Windows. I'll guess @ssontech is, also. You're Mac, so I guess that's a minor difference between the two platforms. 

• @inScapeDigital @Triem23 - correct, I was working on Windows. I see Mac does work OK. Windows should do the same...

Currently a layer's control widget control's a media clip's Orientation. Great for initial setup, potentially problematic for animation. 

If possible, could there be a toggle (in Preferences Menu?) for Orientation/Rotation behavior from the widget? Alternately, a key modifier (CTRL/CMD+drag?) 

Additionally, perhaps the Orientation handles would toggle from squares to circles for visual feedback of the widget mode. 

•  "If possible, could there be a toggle (in Preferences Menu?) for Orientation/Rotation behavior from the widget?"

+1

• edited April 2017

- add a simple mask for auto-editing into Hitfilm, please!

(something similar to Magisto or Muvee)

- a plug-in for auto-edit that composes and cuts depending on the music you insert

• I enjoy this part of the forum where we get to ask for features we'd like to see in Hitfilm.

But, sometimes, I come across ideas that clearly show the OP has not made an effort to even learn the software itself. Some of the ideas, I think, are borne out of pure laziness. Like a "make pretty" button, or something along those lines.

I would urge anyone new to Hitfilm or wanting to learn it, to ask if there is a path to achieving the effect or outcome you want before requesting "new" features.

The beauty of software like Hitfilm, is that there are multiple ways to achieve the same, or similar effect or outcome. I find the process of learning apps like Hitfilm to be fun in itself. The good thing about making the effort to learn a program, is that I am able to create new techniques that I "figured out" during the learning process.

Personally, I think Hitfilm is an amazing value for the power that it gives you in visual effects and editing for the money. I haven't seen anything as easy to use as Hitfilm, especially for its costs. No, I'm not on staff or paid for my commentary. This is my own opinion.

• "Personally, I think Hitfilm is an amazing value for the power that it gives you in visual effects and editing for the money. I haven't seen anything as easy to use as Hitfilm, especially for its costs. No, I'm not on staff or paid for my commentary. This is my own opinion."

I agree. I think a lot of folks would, especially the ones who take the time to learn the bazillion features, effects, and tools it has already. I have only learned to use a few of them, but it's been great software so far.

If only I could import my raw footage directly... ;)

• @WhiteCranePhoto ;

Yep, importing raw footage would be a great feature. The control you'd have of exposure, color and contrast would be dramatically extended with raw footage. I can't wait until HDR footage becomes standard. Think of the possibilities. 

• @ToddGroves ; that's exactly why I wish HitFilm would import raw... then it would be a nice solution for one-person jobs.

Pretty much any camera that can record 12 or more stops of dynamic range is capturing HDR. 14-16 stops is HUGE dynamic range.

I'll also add a +1 for importing RAW. 

Chances are the stepping stone here is additional codec licensing costs here, with a commensurate raise in cost for the software, @toddgroves @WhiteCranePhoto so it probably wouldn't hurt to say "I'd pay extra for this feature."

• @Triem23

CinemaDNG is an open standard, so hopefully that doesn't require licensing. I'd guess that Arri raw would, probably so does Sony raw. I'd guess however that KineRAW would require little more than asking for an SDK, and the Red SDK is available as a free download to anyone with a free account on Red.com.

So... maybe it's a win-win situation?

Could be, @WhiteCranePhoto ;

Just trying to cover bases and options. 

• @Triem23 I'm with you, but somewhat optimistic ;)

Besides, most people using HitFilm for raw cameras would be using Black Magic, Kinefinity, or (soonish) Apertus cameras (which will also record CinemaDNG). Generally, I suspect that if you can afford to shoot with an Alexa or CineAlta or Epic, you probably already have a solution set up, and which post solution you use is heavily influenced by your client's needs or by what your post house uses.

Black Magic and Kinefinity would IMO be fools to charge for their codecs, and Apertus is open source. And Red's SDK is free.

So... optimism plus some additional poking and prodding might be all we need ;)

@WhiteCranePhoto knock wood.

Feature request Alt+Mouse Wheel modifier for vertical axis zoom in Value Graph. CTRL+Mouse Wheel is already the time zoom in Timelines, so this seems logical.

• Importing Red footage would be great, as there are some stock footage houses that offer Red footage. 

• We need shortcuts for scale and many more for the control panel and we  also need a pan behind tool aka moving the anchor point instead of using the control anchor point controls like in After Effects

• As it stands, Hitfilm is a great compositor. As much as I love Hitfilm, its editing and audio capabilities are somewhat lacking compared to other NLE's out there. I'm hoping shortly, the developers over at FX home puts more emphasis on sound design/mixing and video editing. (I wasn't trying to evoke a negative demeanor when I wrote this. I do think I could've chosen better words because what can I say, I love Hitfilm. It's amazing, especially for that price tag!)

Some theoretical features to implement in a future version of Hitfilm:

- Colour grading and audio mixing layouts

- More audio effects including many professional sound mixing tools like graphs, audio waveforms, curves (I think), etc. (Possible in their separate windows?) for greater control.

- Audio record button

- In and out points display for audio in media trimmer.

- The ability to trim entire comps or editor timelines to in and out points (work area)

- Have the project viewer begin and end corresponding to the times set up by the in and out points in the media timeline.

- The ability to have markers in the media timeline

- Multiple editing timelines/sequences in a single project

- Pen tool added to media timeline to create points/keyframes to video and audio tracks. (This is a little pet-peeve I have but I really, really, hate having to go up the effects controls to create points to either an audio or video track to make a fade or something like that.) As well as the ability to create bezier curves.

- Grade Layers in Editor

- Media timeline viewer to follow playhead whenever it's out of view.

- Files in the media bin to keep in and out point properties as if they were dragged from the trimmer and into media timeline.

- The ability to have continuous real-time playback while messing with effects. Helpful for fine tuning audio.

- Speed improvements (less drag while playing audio files)

- Have program create proxies for files automatically in the background, especially while ram previewing.

- Rotoscope Tool

- An updated 3D interface/layout import window, resembling VideoCopilot's 'Element 3D v2' or Maxon's Cinema 4D Lite. Features to include:

• - More controls added to the 3d model viewer (making it easier to adjust the anchor point within a 3d model if not correctly set up)
    • - The ability to create groups (to fix 3D models that don't have the materials/textures imported correctly)
    • - The ability to use primitive objects (if that becomes a thing, of course)
    • - Material/texture, drag and drop spheres/presets (I don't know if this would help. I'm not an expert in the world of 3D modeling but, I've seen it in other 3D programs, and in Element 3D, and noticed that it was absent from Hitfilm).

- 3D Camera to include Camera type and Focal length Presets (for clueless idiots, like myself, who don't know how to calculate the equivalent focal length in the camera controls mathematically)

• BTW, ProRes clip spanning for Red is becoming unnecessary... Red's fixing that by moving to a new file system that allows files larger than 4GB, so there's no longer a need to span ProRes.

Big improvement. :)

• Feature request:

Being able to attached a 2D track to a rotoscope mask. (Which helps with reducing the keyframes need for the mask.) A technique I've used on many feature films I've worked on.

@toddgroves my workaround for that is to attach a white plane to the track, set that plane to low opacity and roto the plane. The roto plane/track point are converted to an embedded composite shot which becomes a Set Matte source. Adds a couple of steps, but the time is saved on the roto. 

So I hope it's a useful workaround for you. Until FXHOME adds the ability to parent a mask to a point it's the best method I've come up with. 

•  @ToddGroves what feature films?

• @Triem23
    Great workaround! Thanks!

• @Andersen01498

Here's my IMDB link of most of the films and TV shows I've worked on:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1639879/

I work at IMAX now, converting films to IMAX format. So, I'm getting my VFX yayas through my own projects. :)