Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• Thanks @CleverTagline , :)

For sure, glad to help with any or all questions. :) Yeah, Blender has been around forever. :)

I appreciate the kind words, everyone here has been super nice and patient with me.

Just Frank

• Blender has been around for twenty-six years today, but the most awesome version, Filmer, has only been around for one and one-half. I can't wait to see what improvements you make in 2020!

• Whoa... 26 years!?

Wow, oh wow, oh wow! I was amazed by @CleverTagline 's 19 year comment but dang, 26 years. Wow. :)

My gosh so much missed potential, we could have been doing all this vfx stuff for like... ever. I had no idea. :)

This is an eye opener for sure, thanks for that @FilmSensei . :)

Ooh 2020, there is no limit to what we can do. :)

• @spydurhank ; Don't feel too bad about missed opportunities with Blender.  I had a late 90s version back in the day and it was nowhere near as robust and talk about incomprehensible!  I found it easier to teach myself 3DSMax something or other than use the Blender I downloaded.  Wonder if I still have that version squirrled away on a CD from then?  Hmmm...

• Oh wow @tddavis , this is very cool and kinda blowing my mind. I'm gonna go look for a video documentary on computers and vfx. I knew there was a reason that I've always enjoyed DVD special features and now VFX breakdown videos. :)

In the late 90s I was shooting little comedy skits with friends. Edits were cut by hand and such. Makes me wish I'd bought a computer back then instead of waiting till 2008.

The Blender thing is more just of a wow moment possibilities, if I had it bad in the Blender 2.47 days, I'm sure it was much more difficult in the late 90s. For sure. :) 

Court actually bought me a CD and manual for Blender in 2008 but I was like, what the Frell am I looking at?, she also introduced me to Pozer and Bryce. I learned about Gimp in an older Fxhome forum.

With my "Sunny Side Up Egg" brain starting to work again :), I'm seeing a whole mess of possibilities that I just couldn't see before. A little crazy, a little weird but man, it is pretty awesome. Glad to be a part of it. :) 

• @spydurhank ; No joy in Mudville here.  I went through a stack of old disks and no sign of that old Blender program.  Went back to 2002 so that means it either became a victim of the great CD debacle of 2001 or it's in floppy disk limbo... :) and I don't even know where those suckers reside anymore!

• Floppy disk!? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? :) For real? :)

• edited January 2

Oh, yeah, I am ancient... I got my first IBM clone with Windows 95 in 1996 or so.  Before that I was writing short stories and a novel on a Commuter portable dual 5 in floppy no HDD and DOS but back in the 80s I was playing with an Atari 800XL with a separate 5 in floppy drive and TI-99s that stored data on cassettes :)  Serious dawn of time stuff there.

•  Here is the little nifty tidbit down nostalgia lane and there is the original code for the amiga as well. http://zgodzinski.com/blender-prehistory/

• That is awesome @tddavis ,

First time I saw a computer was middle school in 1983 at the age of 11. I saw some kids my age writing and playing their own video games. I didn't see/look for any markings on the computer, or I'd be able to tell you what they were. Wish I'd seen the possibilities then but now is just as good. :)

• Whoa now that is cool @FlyingBanana78 .

1987 that takes me back. I'd just started skateboarding or just skating really and surfing... and Court was one year old. :)

•  One year old... Damn, Frank, way to twist that knife. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@spydurhank if it was a comp in a middle school in 1983, it was probably an Apple 2-series. Apple, early on, started giving computers to schools. That's pretty much what made them relevant. Next guess would be a Commodore 64.

@tddavis my first machine was an Atari 800 (pre XL). On of the 1979 batch with the original CITA chip (so no Graphics Modes 9, 10, 11). 48 MIGHTY K of RAM. 

Atari 800 Star Raiders. Still one of the best video games ever. 

• @spydurhank Love it. Can totally picture an owmycgi cup in his/her hands lol

• @FlyingBanana78 ; I had to run over to Frank's website cause I thought it was a subtle advert for merchandise from owmycgi...and I'm obsessed with that little green guy :)  From the last episode, I think I have figured out that Mando is not the title Mandalorian.  Baby Yoda is The Mandalorian.

• Heh, @tddavis and @FlyingBanana , That is a real mug, Court had it made for me. :)

• Oh, here we go again!  Let's play "How many old graphics guys can you spot on the forum?"

I still have my Amiga 2000 (Toaster ready) with a 50 Mhz accelerator card.  Before that a C64, before that a TI99/4A, before that a Timex Sinclair . . .

After the Amiga I got an SGI 4D/70 mini-mainframe at work.  Don't make me tell you how Bill Gates ruined my career in Wavefront by buying SoftImage and porting it to NT (killing SGI in the process).  But I'm not bitter . . . much.

• edited January 3

"Don't make me tell you how Bill Gates ruined my career in Wavefront by buying SoftImage and porting it to NT (killing SGI in the process)"

(Maybe) Interesting side note. NT was originally designed (Cutler) to support the MIPS CPU. The SGI CPU. This is why NT had the 2GB user/kernel address split space defined. The MIPS CPU was hard coded such that > 2GB addresses were by definition kernel address space. Most other CPUs defined kernel/user by the VM page tables. I never developed a MIPS code generator. I had manuals for pretty much all CPUs (x86, MIPs, Alpha, i860, Itanium, SPARC, PowerPC, 360/390 Mainframe, Java p-code, CLR p-code) but only developed code generators for Intel (x86), SPARC and Power/PowerPC. The IBM mainframe was close but never happened. I think that would have been fun.

• Whoo, you guys go way back. :)

• @Stargazer54 ; Going back to missed opportunities that Frank talked about; the sad thing about me is I wasn't into the graphics  that much back then I was more interested in writing fiction and the word processing end of computers. I just couldn't see the real world CGI applications that were coming in another decade with Jurassic Park then Toy Story.  That's when I became a graphics guy :) after the writing thing had fizzled for me.

@tddavis well, I mean when you're looking at the graphics on a TRS-80, Apple 2 series, Atari 400/800 series, Commodore Vic-20 or 64, or IBM PC with CGA... No wonder you ignored graphics. 

First Macs were monochrome... Atari St was ok (especially with "hack programs" like Spectrum 512) and the Amiga had its strong points, but, boy...

Desktop video wasn't a truly effective thing till 1995-ish! And that was 16-bit (total pallette 65,536 colors) at 640x480. Not even 24-bit (16.7 million colors)! 

• @NormanPCN Oh, yeah MIPS.  SGI actually bought them out so they would have proprietary ownership of their CPU's. Maybe that started the ball rolling because it wasn't but about a year or two later that M$ bought SoftImage.  Interesting that NT was designed for MIPS, which kind of bolsters that M$ was trying to go head to head with SGI.

@Triem23 I forgot to mention that I had a Cubicomp before we gave up on it and bought into Wavefront.

Sorry Frank, I think we've hijacked your thread.

@Stargazer54 we've talked Cubicomp before. My best Cubicomp accomplishment was still faking raytracing with a very careful combination of texture mapping and animation to get the "glass" sphere to move in front of the background.

I think Frank is amused. Besides, next time he does a render or code update he'll snatch the thread right back! 

• No dude, I'm loving this. :)

You guys are making music right now. Computers are pretty damned cool... ahem, come to find out. :)

• edited January 3

@Stargazer54 Parsing words, but "designed for" is a bit strong for NT. MIPS was one of the CPUs NT was being developed on. Intel x86 of course by far the primary. MS did ignore the SPARC CPU, but not the MIPS.

The "interesting" part I thought was the 2GB user/kernel mode split thing of the MIPS. Least common denominator across CPUs. Then the 2GB user mode limit became an issue for memory hungry apps before 64-bit came around to eliminate the address issue. Then as a temp workaround MS added the LargeAddressAware linker option for an app to get a 3GB user space while still keeping backwards compatibility for stupid apps (no app should care about address ranges but stupid people exist and MS actually cares about compatibility. sadly, even for stupid people). 

So for a time there probably were people who bitched about those MS idiots and their stupid decision of address space split. The decision was effectively made by MIPS. Well, MS probably could have defined the address space split to be different depending on the CPU. Or never define/document it in the first place. But their initial decision kept that consistent across everything. 2GB was a pretty huge number in '90-93.

• edited January 4

Glass density, cuastics, and self reflections in one Filmer aov, Hitfilm is doing everything else. :)

EDIT:

And a quick video, nothing fancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9b9-mt1UAc

• edited January 4

@spydurhank Nothing fancy if you're Frank, but for me it's like magic!

• Thanks @tddavis , this is still previz though and I haven't done many tricks to it yet. :)