Girl Fight girls vs Helicopter

With the release of Hitfilm 2 we wanted to test the 3d objects and camera tracking. This was the result.
This video has been almost complete, except sound, for a couple of weeks. But with the release of Black Ops 2 I just didn't get around to finishing it. :)
We're happy with how it came out. The scale of the helicopter isn't perfect, I would plan things differently next time.
I also had some trouble getting a good track with mocha. I ended up having to use Pan-and-tilt as the camera type, the other choices just couldn't calculate the scene depth correctly.
I'm also looking forward to some tutorials on compositing 3d objects and making them look more believable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4j4azR90MA
(No gory deaths again... sorry.)

Comments

• I think the tracking looks really good I liked the debris that was left in the road at the 15 second mark.
    will be intresting to see what techniques can be used to make the helicopter look less cgi
  • Good to see that your girls are still kicking ass.
    Definitely has some scale issues, as you mention, and the animation could do with some work.
    What I'd actually suggest would be filming it to make it feel more natural, as well as potentially making your job easier. For example, having a big, wide, long shot of the girls running down the street with the chopper in shot the whole time is actually quite a challenge. If you'd gone for a more hand-held look, with lots of cuts and a more frantic pace, each of the shots could have been shorter and had a bit more detail in. Glimpses of the helicopter shot that way would probably 'sell' it more. If this had been shot with a REAL helicopter, for example, you probably wouldn't have shot it from a basic wide the whole time, right?

• What I'd actually suggest would be filming it to make it feel more natural, as well as potentially making your job easier. For example, having a big, wide, long shot of the girls running down the street with the chopper in shot the whole time is actually quite a challenge. If you'd gone for a more hand-held look, with lots of cuts and a more frantic pace, each of the shots could have been shorter and had a bit more detail in.

But then I wouldn't have been testing the 3d modeling side of Hitfilm 2! :)
    However, yes, I do see what you are saying. That is very much my thinking if I was to do something like this again.
    I did total underestimate the scale issue in that wide shot. I was much happier with the second shot as the chopper flies past shooting.
    My biggest problem was getting the helicopter to look small enough in the distance and have a correct shadow as it approached. I just couldn't get the size changes to look correct. What I have since realised is that I probably should have been adjusting the focal length of the 3d camera in Hitfilm to more closely match the scene. Like a chump I didn't even look at that until afterwards. :(
    BTW: One of my girls also suggested (afterwards) that we could have had several smaller 'RC' choppers. Instead of one big one. That probably would have given me some more options and fixed the scale issues.
  • Having watched it again, another easy tip is to make sure you keyframe the gunfire's seed. This will ensure that the muzzle flash looks slightly different each time it appears, while retaining the overall shape and design. Makes a big difference to the realism.

• Having watched it again, another easy tip is to make sure you keyframe the gunfire's seed. This will ensure that the muzzle flash looks slightly different each time it appears, while retaining the overall shape and design. Makes a big difference to the realism.

AHHH... That is so obvious in hindsight!
    I did 2d track the angle and front point of the guns to keep the flash locked on and I knew about the seed value... but it never crossed my mind to key-frame it. :dry:
    Anyway I did a quick re-render and think the muzzle flash does look much nicer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x90UbSDWau4
  • Yup, that's better.
    The main thing now that's making them look odd is that they're more on than they are off. Generally if you look at movies with rapidly firing guns, the muzzle flashes aren't actually as visible as you'd expect. Even when it sounds like they're firing rapidly, quite often you only see every ~3rd flash. Maybe try reducing the rate of fire? Check out Starship Troopers or Aliens for some awesome mega muzzle flashes. :)

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment