Export project for working on other computer

Hi,

I want to save a project that I work on my home computer and continue working on that same project on laptop.

how can I export/save a project so I could continue working on the go?

exporting all files and images etc.

TNX

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited March 2017

Hitfilm doesn't have an "archive" function that moves all assets into a project folder for you. I suggest planning out your workflow and project setup to make your life easier. 

My projects are set up like so:

I have a folder named "Project Template. " Inside the project template folder I have the following folders: 3D Models, Source Video, Source Graphics, Source Audio, Library,  Outline/Script/Notes, Prerenders, Final Renders, VO Recording,  EDLs. Source Video has subfolders for: Camera 01, Camera 02, Camera 03. Library has subfolders for Audio, Video ang Graphics. 

In the Options Screen I have Hitfilm set to remember "Relative File Paths."

When I start a new Project I copy/paste my Template folder and rename the duplicate with the Project name. Now I have subfolders set up consistently across each project. 

Source Audio, Video and Graphics  contain assets recorded or created for the project. Library contains copies of any media being reused from an old project or from my stock libraries. EDLs holds Hitfilm (and/or Vegas) project files. 3D Models contains copies of any Models used. Final Renders is where my Export goes, while Prerenders is anything I've rendered out to re-import. 

Yes, this means for something like my Hitfilm University tutorials I do have a copy of the same music files, lower thirds and logos stored in every episode's project folder. Drive space is cheap, and, in the future if I return to an old episode I don't have to track down anything from anywhere else. 

This file structure makes it easy to transfer a project between computers or return to an old project that's been archived years later. 

Anyways, for your current project its going to be up to you to gather all assets, move them to the new drive and relink them. 

In future projects, I suggest taking the time to organize a consistent file structure and get into the habit of moving/coping/placing media in the proper folders as you go. A little extra work up front will make your life easier later. 

• Good idea,

I'll try this

TNX

• edited March 2017

As far as I know, no one has actually done a tutorial on this subject. Usually, the tutorials are "how to get started with HitFilm," but no one really goes into the pre-planning and/or organization of the assets relative to HitFilm. Bravo, Triem23, even though many variations on your folder hierarchy will invariably be/are used, you shall have given many who are truly new in not only HitFilm but using an NLE in general a lesson in how to prepare to edit. Granted, I know that there are a lot of users looking at this going, "well, organizing your assets first is common sense," but, being honest, how many of use have put the cart before the horse in our excitement to learn something new? I know I have. Seriously, I think you should do a "starting from zero" tutorial about organizing one's assests before going off half-cocked.

@Pencilandinc oh, I shall eventually do a tutorial, but I'm getting through basic Hitfilm functionality before I detour to workflow. :-l

• That sounds as a really consistent  and convenient way of saving project files Triem23! I used to make 4/5 submaps with video/pictures/3D/Hitfilm but that always gets messy after a while. I will try to follow your set up, thanks!

• This is the one thing that deters me from switching fully to Hitfilm from PowerDirector: a single function (Pack Project Material) to pack/copy ALL my project's sources - which I have links to - into one folder. I could then simply copy that single folder to my laptop, and resume editing anywhere as if nothing happened.

Serves as backup as well as I cant have peace until I have done this step (which I do regularly fearing the worst case scenario of computer failure in the midst of a critical project) maintaining at least one backup Pack in another device at any given time. This is also a neat way of ensuring that all my sources are collected in one folder each time. (Of course you have to delete previous packs to save space.)

Just administrative but I hope HitFilm would have something like this. That would be real awesome.

It's been brought up before in the Wishlist, but bringing it up again never hurts. I'd also like such a feature. 

That said, over the decades I've worked with software that would compile everything into a single folder as well as software that didn't. I've learned file organization begins with the editor.

You should have a folder for each project. There should be subfolders for your original footage. There should be subfolders for stock graphics/footage, music and SFX, and, as elements are pulled from a library, one should copy them into the appropriate project file. Doing this as you create makes it a manageable process, and your folder is ready to go without having to tell the software to compile everything then wait for it to find and copy the files.

Hell, you can even set up a "dummy" folder with your subfolders set up and ready to go. Copy/paste this file structure into each new project folder. 

• @Triem23 -

Your loyalty to the team is to be celebrated, but honestly I think you're just looking for some way to shift a responsibility  that should be handled by the software over to the user.   Why should something as basic and mechanical as file organization not be automated?   If we're going to lecture, it seems the Hitfilm programmers are the party in need of that service in this particular case.

It seems MrKockabilly has offered a credible report that this feature is already available in other software, and it seems like an obvious and useful idea, so as far as I know there's no reason for it not to be available in Hitfilm too.

• I think Triem23 has pointed it out right and not intended to shift responsibility. When working with more complex projects a good file structure is a must. If Hitfilm would offer archiving what about users that use directory structures like Triem23 or me e.g. I don't want all project files to be in one directory. So any archive function should address that. And working with different programs on the same project having it structured before start of work makes it easier.

A simple "copy all to one directory" maybe a nice-to-have for a few people but not address other needs for organisation. Anyway Triem23 agreeed that he also hinds it usefull and I also do.

When done with a project and putting it to an archive this assures that all files as well as library files (Triem does copy them to the project structure, I don't) are all together.

But this can be some external software. I can take a look at the project file and maybe I find time to make something which also is configurable. Question to the developers: Is there any API to get a tool like that integrated into Hitfilm?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@PhilTanny Never forget the 6 P's, Prior Preparation Prevents P**s Poor Performance. While I too would welcome an archive function to well, archive a project, that should never be a substitute for some form of media management before a project ever begins. This is particularly true if you're using multiple applications for a project or you have to share assets with someone else using different applications than you are. 

Media management built in to an application can quickly become a two edged sword. Avid comes with advanced media management and it can be a powerful and wonderful thing making life much easier. As long as you stay in the Avid universe. Adding something that doesn't belong in that universe can be a nightmare. Final Cut Pro and its metadata abilities can be hands down the best way to work for some projects but again, adding something different to the mix can be very problematic. Resolve is the same way. Most of the time the only sane way to make a lot of workflows usable is to implement an independent media management system before anybody starts anything and use that instead of relying on what's built in to a given application. 

Computers can crash, software can have bugs. I've had media managers crash and lose the database. I've had archives crash mid backup. Storage drives fail. Being smart and starting with a plan, being smart and moving/copying media into that file structure while editing makes reconstruction easier if something goes wrong before I think to run the archive process. Copying library files to the project folder as I go might save the entire project if the library drive fails.

Phil, the responsibility is NEVER on the software for file organization. We'll get, every month, some variation of "Hitfilm crashed and I can't open my file." One of us will say, "yeah, you may be screwed, start making backups." The next response is usually ">whine< but my prooooject I spent a whole daaaaay on." No, learn the lesson, make the backups. Because computers and software crash. Hitfilm has an auto recovery feature. It doesn't always work. Make your own backups as you go. 

Media management software crashes. Software archivers can fail or corrupt the database. Learn the lesson--organize and collate assets as you go. This is someone with decades of experience, backed by @Aladdin4d with more decades of experience in video production passing down education for the newbies, man!

Now, I said "archive" a lot. Why? The FCPX feature Uzet1 mentioned is called "Archive." That's its name in Vegas and other software as well. It's original function is to consolidate media from a complete project. Part of this is to eliminate unused media, and even have the option to trim unused parts of used media. Great! It takes time to do this, and, if you're trimming media it takes more time to write the new files. Usually the archive is a different folder than the project work folder, so... You just end up making a new copy of everything. Are you going to delete the original files, or keep (effectively) two copies of the project with different structures?

Now, if using the archive to transfer a project between machines, remember the archive software only sees media that's loaded into the project. If moving between computers but having footage, stills, music, SFX etc I know I want to use that haven't been loaded into the project yet, I need to find those files and move them into the archive folder, manually.... All of which is (once again) easier to do if I correctly plan my initial file structure and move elements into their proper place as I begin the project. 

An archive export is a great final stage to consolidate projects, and it can be helpful in catching something the Editor forgot to move into the project structure in the first place (I've done that, which is where having an organized file structure to my library helps), but the archive export is a backup to properly organizing the project to start with. Don't have to follow my structure, but something! 

• Good points guys, I withdraw my bizarre bloviational backward bonkers burpings (never forget the 5 B's!) on the matter.  I was reacting to two things I think...

1) My projects are likely smaller and less complicated than the esteemed artists above, and...

2) After too many years on Mac forums, which have become a bizarre kind of one true way religious gathering for some, I've become allergic to any suggestion that reminds me of "whatever the problem, it's always the user's fault".   I agree that's not what Triem was saying, it was only what I heard.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@PhilTanny No worries and I apologize if I sounded harsh. There is a big difference between somebody doing something as a hobby and somebody doing something hoping to get paid at the end of it. If you're hoping to get paid, there's nothing worse than having to go to the client and say "I can't complete the project you desperately want because I was an arrogant idiot that thought my computer would never crash and corrupt half of your source footage." That's worse than having to tell a client you can't complete the project because somebody on site forgot to hit Record. At least then you get to blame somebody else.

I worked on a project late last year with a guy using Adobe. He was doing 3, 10-15 minute interview spots while I was working on everything else recorded at the conference. He had well under 30 GB of material while I had well over 300 GB of material. His brilliant idea was for me to transfer EVERYTHING I had over to him, already set up as Premiere projects, for final transfer to the end client. I told him no, it was stupid for me to transfer that much when he had so little. He reluctantly agreed to give me raw copies of what he had. Jump forward a week and he had lost all of his audio somehow. I never did learn exactly what happened, but it was my paranoid way of doing things that got him fresh copies of his audio back so he could finish.

• When I started working on some videos "in progress"  a lots of material came along the way of which I could not be sure if all of it would made it to the final version. So I made a folder for the Hitfilm-file plus the footage I wanted to use inside. And made instantly synced backups. This can be a little pain, when u decide after a while to kick some footage out of the project laters. Because the copies of the stuff stay in the mirrored folders on other harddrives - and yes, so I delete them laters (when the project is finished). But: All stuff is still there for the Hitfilm-Project files to have them working.

This  method is ok for me (and some work), and if you have a structure with a folder plus some subfolders inside this helps a lot - so I can follow Triems idea indeed.

What I'm missing in Hitfilm (and I guess it's on the wish list): A purge unused media function. This still does not take away the necessity of deleting the unused media in the folder afterwards, but it would help to keep the actual project more clean. But ok - if you know what you (not) used it is possible to delete the media anyways from the list. But I'd like to have this function.

In another prog I work with there is the function to zip all used files. I used it sometimes (advantage: no more search for missing files). The disadvantage: All files were duplicated and took more disk space place.

• To return to upstart challenger burping quibble mode, :-) I think I'm doing my usual thang of pushing back against nerd culture.  Please forgive me, but pushing back against anything and everything everywhere in all times and places is an incurable disease I can not shake.  If everyone were to agree with me completely, I'd then flip and argue against that.  Sigh....

The user asked a simple question and was looking for a simple answer, which might have started with...

1) Hitfilm can't do that.

2) Hitfilm should be able to do that.

3) Get on it guys.

I get that some of you guys are pros, and the advice given above is good advice worth sharing, especially for pros, agreed.  I'm really not arguing against anything that's been said.

But the original poster is perhaps not a pro, but rather a typical hobbyist.   And we hobbyists out number pros 100 to 1 or something.  So another dimension to pro level advice might be....

"If ya wanna sell a lot of these, there had better be a simple way to do simple things."

As already stated by the pros above, it's not an either/or situation.  People should keep track of their own files AND their should be an easier way to move a project to another machine.

BTW, this is only relevant to the Pro version, right?  Isn't the Express license limited to a single hard drive?

• "1) Hitfilm can't do that."

There are a ton of things Hitfilm cannot do. It's pretty much something that can be said of any software.

"2) Hitfilm should be able to do that."

This is the reason software developers come out with new versions of the software.

"3) Get on it guys."

They are not sitting on their hands.

Of course FxHome's vision of Hitfilm and its future and that of vocal users, myself included, is certain to be different.

Sign in to comment