How to use a boom mic in a wide shot.

I am storyboarding my short film (which will be edited with Hitfilm) and I was wondering how it is possible to use a boom pole/mic in a wide shot. Any tips? 

Thanks

Comments

• One thing to remember.  On a Hollywood film over 90% of production sound will be redubbed in post. Production sound is a reference track. 

If the mic is more than 10 feet away the audio will suck. 

So... This is when you get/rent/beg/borrow/steal some other mics and recorders. Is there something in the shot close to the actors you can hide your audio guy or another mic in? Can you get lav mics? If you can get a lav mic you can plug in into a smartphone. Mic the actor, record to the phone's audio recorder app... In a wide you can hide the lav under clothing and put the phone in a pocket. 

Or redub in post. 

• Great. I have a car right near the actors so I think I will just stick my boom man in the car. Thanks for the tips. 

• edited November 2015

1. Use a lav mic plugged into a portable recorder (mp3 recorder, HD recorder, cell phone, etc.) hidden on actors clothes.

2. Hide the portable recorder as a prop. Some portable recorders have a built in mic. Put it in a cup like the actor is drinking something, etc.

3. As you mention, use the car. Roll down a window and place the mic and audio guy in the car out of frame. 

As a very very last resort try ADR, it hardly ever works unless the actor is really good at recapturing their onset performance with the same mic but even then it is hard. You have to match room tone and other things. 

Hope this starts the creative juices to flowing and it helps.

• Look at the Rode wireless filmmaker kit.

• Also.......compositing. Depending on the complexity of the shot, it might be super easy to simply erase the boom and sound guy in post. If you're locked off, for example, it's as easy as just grabbing a clean plate at the start/end of shot. That technique can also provide some interesting creative lighting options.

• Good thinking outside the boxes, @SimonKJones ! Heck, depending on the shot, even if the camera ISN'T locked you might be able to remove the boom op with Camera Projection! 

• Best thing for wide shot dialogue is a Lav.  Easy to hide and doesn't have to be under clothing to be unnoticeable.  ADR (post production recording of dialogue) is not a fun process and it is always best to get dialogue on location if possible.  If background noise is any kind of problem then you will be stuck with ADR.  You will not get decent results booming a mic that is more than 5 feet away in my experience.  In most large productions anything but dialogue is almost always mixed in after the fact.  Location recordings ala 'room tone' is done on site but separate from the scene recording which is focused on dialogue only.

• Exactly. I thought of that with composting. I am moslty worried though about moving shots. 

• Check out the Camera Projection tutorials--1 and 3 for now. If you plan the shot right, you are able to remove a boom guy in a moving shot. 

Check out this excellent tutorial from Wren the Reaper. It's After Effects, but 100% possible  in Hitfilm. 

• @Triem23 As soon as you paste the link: we will...

• Camera projection: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFqEKMQyy86zssmbAo3wjXkuYb2HxpY2x

https://youtu.be/8J1iwmjnpWo

Thought I had posted these. I am not at my best this week.