ANOTHER Vortex? (Zach Alan's Productions Page: Oct/25/2018)

Comments

• @Palacono

"expecting something that didn't even have "Spider" "Man" or "Boy" in it, for copyright reasons, like "Super-Arachnid-Dude""

This is where I would have put "2 hours, 3 Supreme Court opinions on Fair Use and 57 genders later......"

'

• Just wondering, did anyone ever find a way to have a video on the sides of extruded text like in the Marvel intro sequence?

@NXVisualStudio @Triem23

• @ZachAlan_Productions not using 3D Extrusion. That just has Environment Map reflection. Using Boris, I think you would load your video into a layer and use the layer as a texture source for the side material. 

• Remember those War Doctor titles I was working on a while ago? Well, I decided to finish them.

https://youtu.be/GbIIM25zwd0

Let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions for improvement I might try to work them in before the video goes public.

Enjoy!

• Wow, cool. :)

• Overall, I REALLY like this!  Beautiful work!  The main part that feels like it's not working as well as the rest is from :16 to :23.  During my first watch, my gut impression when that part started was, "Holy cow, that's really bright and really busy!"  Tons of bright moving particles combined with bright flaming text isn't a winning combo IMO.  The particle effect is really nice on its own, and would be great when the focus of the shot is supposed to be on that kind of effect, but right now it just competes for attention too strongly with the text.  What to do instead?  I'm not exactly sure.  Maybe a color change?  Part of the conflict may be due to the fact that both the particles and the flaming text in the same warm hue range.  Perhaps shift the particle mass color a little cooler, and maybe make it just a tad less dense.

The text in that shot is a mixed bag.  Some parts of it I really like, mainly the flame effect, and the way the text wisps away as the TARDIS passes.  However, the flame effect feels like it holds just a hair long.  There needs to be some time to read the name when it's not fully afire, and right now when the flames dissipate, the non-burning text is so dark it's tough to read.  Maybe have the flames only last about 1/2 to 2/3 as long as they do now.  When the "plain" text is visible, maybe start with it a little brighter, then it can dim to that darker brown gradually, like the embers of the fire are dimming over time.  Speaking of embers, are those speckly glowing patches on the text (see about :18) supposed to be embers, or is that something else?  I couldn't quite figure out what that was during the first viewing, but after pausing and looking at it more closely, it kinda looks like the outline of the text, but scaled down and masked off with the Set Matte effect to only be visible inside the larger text shape.  Whatever it is, it feels like it's kind of interfering with the readability of the text.  I'm not saying to get rid of it, but maybe rethink the way it's applied.

Aside from that, the only other thing that you might consider doing is spreading the ships in the following shot so they cover more depth.  There aren't any really close to the camera, and the farthest ones aren't that much smaller than the closest ones.  Assuming this is a cloned mass via the particle system, you could probably just expand the size of the particle cube so it's a bit deeper.  If need be, maybe manually place one hero ship really close to the camera near the top/bottom of the frame, just to exaggerate the size contrast a bit more.

• @jsbarrett glad you liked it and thanks for all the feedback!

I agree with the text section. The flames should be on for less time and maybe a "whoosh" sound effect like a sudden burst of flames instead of the slower gradual flames? Also readability will be fixed.

Not sure what to do about the conflicting-ness of that shot though. I'll have to play around with it...

• @ZachAlan_Productions Very nice!  The wormhole and Police  Box have a really nice feel.  But have to echo @jsbarrett.  The one shot that bugs me a little is the one with all the ships at 0:28.

Besides putting a hero ship in the foreground, I would reduce the number of them and then drop the chroma on the background nebula.   The reddish/pink nebula overdrives the rest of the shot.  Good to have it in there but maybe just a little more subtle so the eye is drawn to the subject more than the background.  Just my $0.02.

• Here is a modified version with some of the suggested tweaks.

https://youtu.be/3OunRcSaHqY

For both the spark vortex and the nebula the lens dirt was over intensifying the effects, so that's what I changed there. The text looks a lot better and is way more readable. Not sure if the conflicting nature of the fire text and spark vortex is resolved but it looks better in my opinion.

• @ZachAlan_Productions Very nice!  That's some tasty stuff. 

Really love the flash on the top of the Tardis to get you back to the wormhole at 0:32.  Kicking down the chroma on the nebula really makes that pop.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

I like the visuals at this point. 

Which Tardis model are you using? Doesn't matter. Take a look at this Simon Jones tutorial.

https://youtu.be/s_v-b-T9T14

Ok, loading an "All black, but... " model in for lights. Great, how to do this with a TARDIS? You need to take your Tardis's textures into a photo editor. Create an all-black but windows texture, same with the Police Box over the door...

Now you can do glowing windows and sign. Stick a point for light rays inside the TARDIS aligned with windows. Consider doing an all black but beacon (make this opaque white) layer. Work with keyframing opacity changes combined with glow, light rays, or auto flare.

It's the rig I used for this. 

https://youtu.be/JuxVLlvIJMo

Music--

I like the visuals at this point. 

Which Tardis model are you using? Doesn't matter. Take a look at this Simon Jones tutorial.

https://youtu.be/s_v-b-T9T14

Ok, loading an "All black, but... " model in for lights. Great, how to do this with a TARDIS? You need to take your Tardis's textures into a photo editor. Create an all-black but windows texture, same with the Police Box over the door...

Now you can do glowing windows and sign. Stick a point for light rays inside the TARDIS aligned with windows. Consider doing an all black but beacon (make this opaque white) layer. Work with keyframing opacity changes combined with glow, light rays, or auto flare.

It's the rig I used for this. 

https://youtu.be/JuxVLlvIJMo

Music--I am not liking this version for the War Doctor. It's lovely, but this is the Time War! Reality, Time and Space themselves  were twisted past the breaking point. I think this needs a more militant version of the theme. The Big Finish War Doctor theme and the 1996 Doctor Who theme are good examples. 

• edited February 2

@Triem23 thank you for the suggestions. Haven't gotten around to the light-up signs and windows yet. You must really want to see it light up because you pasted the same part of your comment twice :)There's already a keyframed light flare for the lamp though...

Are the themes you mentioned free to use in a fan project?

The one I'm using is free to use and I made a slower and more beautiful sequence to match.

Maybe I could upload alternate  versions, a sad one and an aggressive one?

• @Triem23

Turns out the person I got the theme from had an older version which is almost the same but more aggressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aegIUtZFX8

•  @Triem23 I guess light rays are not the way to go...

https://youtu.be/v6lK-e5CujU

They are too "flicker-y". Maybe just a glow effect, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to render the whole thing again.

• I think you fixed that issue with the John Hurt credit shot.  Text is more readable, the flame timing works really well, and even though the spark vortex is still really strong, it doesn't bother me as much.

As for the windows, I'm kinda torn.  I get what you're saying re: the flickery feeling with the light rays, but I don't mind it. The example that @Triem23 gave has more of a glow, with the rays not coming across so harshly.  Maybe your version can be tweaked in that direction, which may reduce the flickery feeling.

Look aside, I'm not convinced that having the rays on in every shot is the right approach.  Perhaps use it more selectively.  Think about what those light rays are saying in a story sense.  Do they convey intensity?  Power?  Dominance over evil?  If they're on for the whole intro, there's no contrast to that feeling.  Maybe take another cue from Mike's version.  He only has them on later in the short, as/after the Dalek threat increases, so perhaps leaving them off in the early shots and then cranking them up somewhere in the spaceship shot — when the threat of evil becomes clear — and then leaving them on through the end would work a little better.  Something to think about, anyway.

•  @ZachAlan_Productions

I kinda agree with @Triem23 about the music - that particular arrangement sounds a bit "meh" to my ears, and not really suited to the character.

But the earlier, "more aggressive" arrangement you posted by the same person... f*ck yeah.

• It's been awhile, but here's the sequence once more!

https://youtu.be/OylI3u5sS4M

I added a more subtle glow at the beginning, then kept the light rays at the end. The theme will be changed later...

• @ZachAlan_Productions Keep up the good work chap! remember to give us a shout on discord :) 

• Glad you all like it!

@NXVisualStudio do you use the text or voice chat on Discord? I'm new to Discord so don't really know how it works...

• Here is the final version!

https://youtu.be/eTUD_chXtwo

I changed to the more aggressive theme and slightly adjusted the timing to make the visuals match.

Let me know what you think! I'd like to leave this title sequence as it is and move on to other projects, but am still open to suggestions for improvement :)

• Gorgeous!  As much as I liked the softer theme music, this feels like a better match for the visuals.

While I could mention a few nitpicky things, I feel a more useful exercise would be for you to leave this unviewed for a while (a couple weeks, maybe even a month), then sit down and watch it again with fresh eyes, taking notes on the things that you see that could be improved.  While I don't necessarily recommend going back to fix them (unless you have tons of time on your hands), simply recognizing that they are there will likely prompt you to be aware of similar things in the future.

One way to possibly enhance this is to watch the piece in a mirror (or just flip the video horizontally).  I've heard that this trick works well for illustrators, giving them a different view on a piece they're working on and sometimes helping to spotlight things that could be improved because it forces their mind's eye to interpret the content differently.  Not sure if it would work as well for video, but I thought I'd toss it out there.  :)

• I deep bow to your skills in VFX. Beautiful!

Yes! I did like the previous music, but, as stated, didn't think it fit the WAR Doctor. This is a better choice, and you retimed things well for the Tardis/Dalek flyby going with the "Day of the Doctor" sting. Now it feels like the Time War. 

• Wow, very cool.

• Hey everyone, I've been posting quite a bit lately, but I'm taking on another new project.

I have been watching Star Trek Voyager and so far really enjoy the show. I'd like to have a go at recreating the title sequence.

My first question is does anyone know of a free Voyager 3D model? I can't seem to find one that will work properly.

This thread is where I will post the progress on the intro project, so stay tuned for updates. :)

Have you looked here?

http://scifi3d.com/list.asp?intGenreID=9&intCatID=51

Just be careful about file types. Hitfilm can read OBJ, 3DS, LWO, ABC and FBX. For this site that's going to be Lightwave versions (LW) and 3DS versions. MAX versions will not work. I think there's only one voyager on here, so Download the 3DS.

Also try here:

https://www.trekmeshes.ch/

• @Triem23 the voyager on scifi3D looks good in the picture, but when downloaded, Hitfilm can't open it. I tried opening it in Blender, but all the different groups of the mesh are scattered around and it is unusable.

One of the ones from trekmeshes seems to work fine in HitFilm. Might need to open in Blender and re-export it to fix some normals though.

Cool. I've never downloaded a Voyager model, but I'll tell ya the "USS Phoenix" model on scifi3D works great in Hitfilm, except for one animated GIF texture Hitfilm doesn't read. Otherwise hopefully a quick normals fix in Blender gets the trekmeshes one up and running.

•  @Triem23 The model I'm attempting to use has no textures, just many MANY different materials. Is there a way to reduce the material count? I don't want to adjust every single one, especially since there is no copy and paste for materials in HitFilm...