Super speed

Let's suppose I want to make a video where i am running really fast. How do I create an echo/blur effect coming from behind me? 

I tried duplicating the video and changing the blend to add/screen, but the lights in the video just brighten up.

Comments

• You can try with a composite shot and:

1. Greenscreen yourself running, and key layer

2. Duplicate your keyed footage, blur the bottom layer, change the position so it is "behind" the running you.

3. Add a background video, or animate a wide image to move side to side to simulate movement (activate motion blur).

If you don't use a greenscreen, you could try this:

1. Duplicate your footage

2. Blur the top layer, and set the blend mode to "normal", then reduce the oppacity

3. Draw a freehand mask in the top layer that covers the trayectory of the "echo"behind you, and keep few points near the "non-blurred" you.

4. Keyframe the path shape and move the points so the mask is animatted too.

Just a couple ideas, it seems that the official HitFilm Youtube channel is going to upload a tutorial on how to do the flash effect.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Take a look at the Echo effect in the Temporal group. How well this works will depend on if your camera is static or moving. 

Otherwise, Emecorp has a good group of tips. 

Sign in to comment