Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• Back into it after a break during the hoildays. Just coded a new Filmer build... we're in Alpha version 2.83 and a bunch of new features. Now for testing. :)

• @spydurhank ; Sweet!  I went to the webpage to download it...did I misread?  The last one I could find is from November.

• Hey @tddavis ,

Yeah, sorry. I just built it this morning and am testing it now to make sure everything works before upload for you guys. It is fast dude... I'm talking about really fast. :)

• edited January 10

Ah, ok.  No problems then.  I thought maybe I had read what I wanted to see there :)  Well, I guess I did!

•  Sweet! Looking forward to playing with it!

• No worries @tddavis and thanks @FilmSensei .

I will have it uploaded asap for you guys, just tidying up my tutorial scripts to reflect that we're working with a 2.83 alpha version. Almost done with that so we'll start screen cappin'  the tuts right after I'm finished. So it is right around the corner. :)

• A few screen grabs from one of our upcoming quick tuts in a first series. 

This is all about shaders. I wrote a new addon that generates a few shader nodes with a little magic called math, that behave more like the "Fake Path Tracing" technique that I developed for Hitfilm. Hmm, hmm, hmm, yummy. :) I wasn't sure if I'd have the time to include the new Shader addon in the next update but it is looking pretty good so far. :)

Suzanne on the left is using two glossy shaders combined with regular mix shader in a typical setup.

Suzanne on the right is using my "custom mix shader" to mix the two glossy shaders together.

The difference is stark. :)

This one has a "custom bsdf node" plugged into my custom mix shader along with the two glossy shaders.

• Just wanted to thank @JoshDavies for giving out his Blender python script for all to use. Very cool. :)

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. :) 

Just updated my script with your fixed Euler code, wow so simple. Thanks so much dude. :)

I'm surprised I got as far as I did as I have no idea how Hitfilm does every single thing, I've simply been guessing since 2013. I was pretty damned close though with my .MA exorter, now I don't need to hack that code into my script. :)

Thanks again dude, you're pretty damned awesome. :)

• Hey Greg @GrayMotion ,

Remember way back a few months ago during our first live chat with Jay, you mentioned the fixed After Effects python script for Blender? And then a little while later I posted a video on fixed Euler rotations? Yeah so thanks for that idea dude. I looked into the AE script and got lots of good ideas. Thanks again for pointing it out. I don't use AE but I knew it was worth a look. :)

I started writing new code right after that chat we had, so that it reflected more what the AE script does so really it's just hacked together pieces of the AE script, my .ma script, my original script and now with the added bits from Josh's code that actually writes the HF composite shot because my code that did the conversion was pretty out of date... like from 2013. At least now I know the proper way to write stuff to a Hitfilm Composite Shot. Again thanks to Josh for his script. So in my script, I'm giving credit to the AE script author, to Josh for the conversion bits and Me for the rest. :) 

I thought that I'd added it into the last Filmer release upload in November but doh… I didn't. You'll get it soon. :)

• @spydurhank I've tried using your HItiflm exporter and now Josh's new one and I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong.  I get nothing but a camera (which is static in the one scene I tried with Josh's and I used yours to try and export my Arctic Freeze scene) but I don't see the model in either.  Are they supposed to export the geometry?

• Hey Terry @tddavis ,

No, no geometry just yet but I've actually been working on that, for the future thanks to Greg @GrayMotion. :)

Josh's script should work without any trouble at all, he did an awesome job as usual. :) 

What version of Blender are you using Josh's script in? His only works in Blender 2.80.0

Turns out that the bits that I got from the AE script a few months ago fixed gimbal lock so the only thing that I needed to clean up my code was Josh's bits where he writes (hfcs_file.write) my code was way out of date in that section, for real.

• @spydurhank Ah, that my be my problem.  I was trying it on 2.81A

• Yeah don't panic if something doesn't work proper, all those older Blender 2.8 versions are extremely buggy, especially when it comes to addons and exporters.

I update mine daily so they always work with the latest release. But yeah, try using Josh's script in an older 2.80 version and it should work. 

• New Filmer release right around the corner with a bunch of starter videos and then we'll get into the nasty compositing stuff. Nothing to look at but a little magic. This release is so fast. :)

Also made the leap and bought a copy of Filmera, now I can at least pause a screen capture. :)

• @spydurhank That new X-wing clip is fantastic!  That thing is all over the place and are those volumetric clouds?  They look so real.  Comments are disabled at Youtube or I'd have left this there.  I assume you got COPPA 'd with channel for kids, right?

• Thank Terry @tddavis , changed settings to fix it but it may take a bit of time to update. :)

No uh, it's just the fluffy cloud particle sprite texture bundled with Hitfilm. :)

I have some higher res cloud textures that I was gonna use but the built Hf textures worked very well. :)

Not  done with it, just testing things out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDWtOKUfsQg

• @spydurhank Wow!  They look great for a built-in effect.  And, for me at least, so much easier than learning volumetric clouds :)

• 3D scene and self reflection aov exported from Filmer and yup, 3D model textured in Hitfilm. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhJXeivRao&feature=youtu.be

• @spydurhank Going to show my complete lack of knowledge here...what's an aov? That texturing looks fantastic.

• @tddavis

It's a fancy name for a custom render pass. AOV or arbitrary output variable. :)

• Looking tasty!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Frank,  I finally got around to paying for a copy of Filmer (Cuz I said I'd do that months ago), which might confuse your system since you have me as a beta tester as well. Just letting you know. But you certainly deserve the $$$.

Next thing is to consider updating my PD Howler from 11.0 to 13.0

• Oh my god, thank you very much Mike @Triem23 :)

Yeah, you didn't have to pay for it :beta tester: Thank you though for the support. :) 

• In case you didn't know, I will be talking LIVE with @spydurhank ;about what is going on with his Filmer project today! Won't you join us LIVE at 3pm EST? Set your reminder now!

https://youtu.be/YQeIJJUqiPg

• Playing with logo ideas. :)

• Looking pretty sick there. I like it! Also love seeing that 3 samples Hahahaha

• Big guy Frank. Do you have a 3D model of the HF logo that you could share? I'd like to throw it into Trapcode as an obj sequence and do a little particle magic. Hint hint...obj sequence :-)

Reference :
    https://youtu.be/L4E3GKQLnrg

• edited February 20

That looks cool @GrayMotion ,

I have a handful of 3D logos but they're super simple and mostly quad based, I'm not really a logo designer guy.

The glass Hitfilm logo below is abstract so it only looks like the Hitfilm logo when the camera is directly facing it. Is it something you could use? It is UV unwrapped and will accept any texture as long as it is seamless.