THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• here's a few:

make bezier points prefer moving the actual point instead of the handles when zoomed out

converting audio to keyframes (see blender or after effects)

ability to hide "pro" effects from the effects list in hitfilm express

openfx support

animatable speed control in the shake effect

ability to reference any keyframes from other objects (not just transformations)

ability to add expressions to single words in text layers

text layer's origin point alwas staying at the centre of the box size

snapping to centre lines, thirds etc.

audio clips shouldn't override an existing clip when being moved onto there

audio clips shouldn't be locked to the same track as the accompanying video clip

simple keyframing in editing mode

bone animations for 3d models?

more than two-point tracking (at least give us three outside of mocha)

i might've put down some that are already on the list, it's a long read

•  It would be an incredible time saver if when changing a number setting, it remains highlighted allowing one to immediately enter a new number (if that setting  wasn't what you wanted). This would allow one to enter a #, hit return and since the value remains high-lighted you can  quickly try a different #.

• I have seen this requested before and jus thought it was a useful idea.  However, during a recent project I was helping  with I found the need for locked layers.  I had to do a lot of scrubbing of the time line and the next thing I know the mouse would have jumped down to one of the layers just under the time bar and I'd be moving it instead.  So I'd like to cast about a 100 votes for being able to lock a layer but still unlock if need be.

•  @tddavis I agree 1 million votes for locked layers...when I'm in AE I use them all the time.   Please fx home get a hint

• Top of the list in order for me:

* Locked Layers

* 2 channel audio when importing footage

* markers on the timeline

• Editor timeline in v12 is getting better. I have even use this for the first time in my newest short movie. In my each previous productions the editor was unusable, because of no efect keyframing abilities (I've used all the hitfilm versions since v2).
    Now it's possible. One more important thing is to add grade layer to the editor timeline, so I don't have to copy and past it to each piece of footage. It's uneditable without simple grade layer for all tracks below.

• 2+ on grade layer in the editor (2+ because I've said it before

• A shortcut like "U" to reveal all keyframed properties of a layer.
    It's too tedious to drag the mouse over to the expand arrow to search for a nested property every time.

And I just noticed we don't have a ruler system over the Viewer? or a grid... tremendous help this would be

Otherwise outstanding piece of software this!!

• Agree....shortcuts make it like AE

• +1 for a shortcut to reveal keyframed properties of a layer.

• I'm back again, decided to use HitFilm on a serious project at work today. Immediately I've noticed a feature that I would highly suggest and appreciate.

To be able to swap out any media in the timeline with another from the Media Bin so the layer maintains all properties such as keyframes, scale, position e.tc... 

A similar feature can be found in AE (only saying this for reference purposes) - highlight the media you wish to replace in the timeline, then Alt+click (and hold) the new media from the Media Bin and drag it ON to the old media layer in the timeline.

• edited February 27

Would this Hitfilm feature be what you are looking for or at least close to it.

https://www.manula.com/manuals/fxhome/hitfilm-pro/12/en/topic/replacing-media

•  Can't believe this hasn't been suggested before, considering the number of people who have their masks moving with their layers when they want them to stay still, but I recently wanted the reverse, where multiple masks moved independently over a single layer, which would also need the same thing, which is...

Each Mask to have its own 'Use Layers' so you can apply multiple moving masks to a single layer, rather than having to duplicate the layer, set a single mask and then have the Layer parent to a point. Repeat for each mask...slow.

• Change the way how we import image sequences.....I would rather open up the file, click the checkbox read as image sequence then boom you are done.  Hitfilms way has a separate image sequence option which is kinda slow

• Please PLEEEEEASE add the feature to save gifs with transparency!

It is such a pain to do as it is now

•  Just an improvement to something that already exists inside Hitfilm Pro:

The „Vertical Video” effect could have two extra options: Shadow and Edges. Shadow would create a shadow of the main video over the blurred version and Edges would let you create edges around the main video , either of color, or by a selected layer.

This would be a big help for all users who deal with lots of vertical videos, but need to make them landscape (especially news people).

• The new template system is awesome, but it can be easy to forget which properties have been published when going back to the source composite shot for a given template. My request is that there be some way to reveal/show all published properties. This could be something done on a per-layer basis, or perhaps as an addition to the search field, so that searching for "Published" would only show published properties across all layers.

• FBX camera import would be helpful for me, allowing importing cameras from iClone would be wonderful. Some way to export cameras would be grand as well.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@braj note Blender (free) can import FBX camera data. Blender can EXPORT the .ma data Hitfilm wants. So, yes, for now it's extra steps, but you can transfer an iClone camera to Hitfilm.

• Suggestion:

I'd wish for stuff to be more customizable as a whole, because as of now some customization options seem to be available on some effects and unavailable on others in a kind of arbitrary way, which makes the whole software feel more limited.

Examples:

• Timecode effect lacking any real customization such as whether to include hours/minutes/seconds (which can be easily fixed by masking) but most importantly no way to change font.
    • Audio interactions. They're available and customizable to some degree in audio effects like Audio Spectrum and Audio Waveform (obviously), and also in stuff like Atomic Particles. But it would be great to be able to link it to anything (not sure how feasible this would be), or at least have some more options, like linking audio to size or opacity to make things pulse or glow to the beat. Very useful for music visualizers. Maybe an "audio shake" would do the trick, but overral it would be great to simply not being so limited by the options provided.
    • Audio spectrum effect could give you the option to choose between "square bars" and "rounded" which is the default when you start turning "thickness" up. I posted a thread about this recently. I don't think it would be too hard to implement, and it would be important to simply allow us to customize it to look how we want.

It's actually a lot of suggestions in one, but it's all based on this idea of being able to customize things in similar way, instead of being arbitrarily limited just because some effect doesn't let you customize it in a way that some other effects do.

Really love this software.
    Keep up the great work!

• +1 of the square end caps for the audio spectrum bars/lines. Can't say I've ever seen round end caps on an audio meter (real world). If no option, I'd say they should be square.

•  Hi NormanPCN, thanks for this link (https://www.manula.com/manuals/fxhome/hitfilm-pro/12/en/topic/replacing-media)
    It does do what I asked for, it's just that we're too used to the AE way I guess, this felt a bit confusing having to replace the media from the media pool instead of on the actual timeline,

it works though, Thanks!

• Complete different Suggestion: Stop suggestions for a defined time span. There are still bugs in 12.1 found in times of Hitfilm 2017. Reminds me on Vegas when upcoming Releases added more and more Features and Bugs remain there for nearly decades. Don't go that way by beeing to innovative.

• @Juda1: Features almost always come with bugs and that's almost inevitable.

1) When color grading in HitFilm I like to use Curves and sometimes the Color Correction Wheels. What I need in Curves is the ability to nudge the currently selected (no such feature yet) point with the arrows on the keyboard or with some keyboard shortcut. The same for the center points of the three color correction wheels.

If you implement this and similar other, you will make HitFilm easier to be used with MIDI consoles for video editing.

2) Another feature when color grading is the ability to apply corrections over color ranges. That can be simulated with keying in a composite shot, but for a simple video sometimes it's too cumbersome to create composite shots for each of the clips just for that. It would be great if, for example, the Hue/Saturation effect can limit its application to color ranges in a similar way you can do that in Photoshop's Hue/Saturation adjustment layer.

• @Lazarov You mention midi, it would be great to be able to control Hitfilm itself with midi, that would be wonderful. 

• Hi there,

Please add the ability to have projects longer than 10 hours in HitFilm Express. The only limit we should have with length is our own disk space.

Many thanks,

Jon.

• When exporting for the first time in a given HitFilm session, there's always some unknown pre-export "thinking" that happens before the export actually starts. However, the timer in the Elapsed column of the Queue tab is still ticking away even though nothing is happening yet. 

Here's an example. I made a super-short comp (one second long, only two moving planes), added it to the queue twice without making any changes, then hit "Start Exporting."

Notice the radical difference in export times. The first just has that annoying pre-export delay that's still added to the Elapsed time count.

I'm asking that the Elapsed timer not start until the first frame actually begins rendering. Perhaps use a different status label to the Progress column during this time, like "Initializing."

• @CleverTagline, "Initializing" wont' be much different than "Starting." I prefer to include that "Starting" time into the total processing time and progress bar.

• From my point of view the dev team should first concentrate on fixing bugs, add stability and increase performance (especially Mac version). It would also great if Radeon graphic cards would be supported in a similiar way than NVidia. 

Nice to have - HEVC support, 10Bit GH5 files or integrate something like EditReady which handles proxy generation in a better way than today.

The rest is fine, HF is a great product with some quirks but at the end that's why we love it.

• Illumination maps for 3d models.

Anything to make 3d model rendering more realistic.