UPDATES (Zach Alan's Productions Page: Jul/07/2019)

14567810»

Comments

• Zach, looks great! You're right  it does call back to the 1960's.

• @Triem23 @Stargazer54

Thanks! Now to come up with an interesting text and logo reveal...

• Aaaaand I'm back again with some seemingly minor tweaks:

https://youtu.be/oF60ix2bEdY

I adjusted the animation for the transition to give it a slow motion type feel. I also added some effects at the end where the cyan vortex will come in. More to be done with that later.

There appears to be a weird stuttering effect on the 360 background during the transition. Any ideas on what that might be?

Any suggestions and feedback are always welcome!

• edited February 6

@ZachAlan_Productions "There appears to be a weird stuttering effect on the 360 background during the transition" Let's break that down quick fella, Q. are you using motion blur on the 360 background? 

Also are the frame rates matching for all comps?

Also to note, I had to look twice because I was sure I never made that! you've nailed down everything I said to you, Well done! 

• +1 to the question about matching frame rates. Stepping through it, there are held frames on the BG. The movement goes small-big-hold-small-big-hold-etc.

• @NXVisualStudio yes I am using the built in motion blur on the 360 viewer effect. 

"I had to look twice because I was sure I never made that! you've nailed down everything I said to you, Well done! "

Thank you! The TARDIS model makes a huge difference. While you're here, I have a few questions about your intro sequences:

1. How do you create your text? Is it a 3D model or made in Hitfilm?

2. How do you make the TARDIS look like it is really inside the tunnel when it goes away from the camera (since it is just a render pass on top of the tunnel layer)?

@CleverTagline thanks for the response. I don't think there are frame rate issues, but I will check again.

• @ZachAlan_Productions "yes I am using the built in motion blur on the 360 viewer effect." Ok this is a bug that has been in the software for a considerable amount time, the built in motion blur on any effect like atomic particles and the 360 viewer cannot be used, the motion blur skips every 3rd frame creating a jitter in the motion, the best fix is to pre bake the background scene and bring this back in with a separate pixel blur effect.

"How do you make the TARDIS look like it is really inside the tunnel when it goes away from the camera" usually I'd create lights that comport with the scene as best as it can, I'd also make sure the color is balanced between the ship and the surrounding scene and use very little environment/light wrap.

"How do you create your text? Is it a 3D model or made in Hitfilm?" almost always 3DS Max to control every aspect of the geometry and texture.

I hope that helps :)

• @NXVisualStudio yes that helps :)

I was also wondering if you knew a way to have the tunnel occlude the TARDIS when it goes around a curve and should be out of sight of the camera. 3D unrolled doesn't really work because the actual space inside the tunnel is too small for the TARDIS to fit in without clipping the walls...

• edited February 6

@ZachAlan_Productions ; I'm sure NX has a much better method, but have you tried duplicating  the  tunnel layer and masking along the curve edge and layering the Tardis between the two tunnel layers?  That would be my poor attempt anyway.

BTW,  I liked the slow mo on this latest version a lot.

• @tddavis That's exactly what I'd do! and how the TARDIS went through the worm hole at the start (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_KD8kxc3g)

• Time index (00:26)

• @tddavis @NXVisualStudio

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if there was some other secret way to do it, but I guess masking does the trick! I better be happy with the animations though or there will be a lot of re-masking! :)

• edited February 7

Here is the latest version:

https://youtu.be/s1ZOr77K1mE

Before, the color changes on the TARDIS were only a color filter added after the render. Now it is a combination of that with colored lights which fade in and out to match the vortex scene better. There are also reflections on the lamp glass and Police Box signs.

The transition to the blue vortex has also been added.

Edit: I also fixed the motion blur stutter problem by just animating an angle blur effect instead of using the built in motion blur. (Motion blur effect didn't seem to work properly)

Enjoy! :)

• I just realized that the environment map for the reflections doesn't seem to render. It shows up while in Hitfilm but not in the exported file. I think some other users have had this issue as well...

• Here is another update, this time with some text!

If you didn't see my previous post check that one out first for previous updates/issues.

https://youtu.be/B3EG4FXriyU

The text is quite simple but I think it does the job. I'm definitely open to any suggestions. Maybe I'll do something more fancy for the logo. :)

Also no updates on the environment map issue... 

• Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I last shared my creations...

For those who are not subscribed to my YouTube channel, here are the two main projects I have finished:

1) Avengers Endgame title recreation - a recreation of the title from the Endgame trailers done entirely in Hitfilm. I mostly used the BCC Text features, as well as Surfaced Studio. There is also part 1 of a tutorial up on my channel.

https://youtu.be/UBCzLLb9Ukw

2) TARDIS Travels: a Hitfilm VFX Short - my entry for the 200k Subscriber Competition. It is all of my best work combined into one story/video about the journey of the TARDIS.

https://youtu.be/l_rp0K2cp88

Hope you enjoy! I always appreciate any feedback as well, even though I won't be updating these two projects any further.

Thanks everyone!

•  @NXVisualStudio thank you for sharing my work on Facebook! I appreciate the kind words from you and @Triem23 :)

Unfortunately I did not win the competition though. Still a fun project and I can use it as my demo reel!