Set pre-render codec to Cineform

Some earlier discussions indicated that HF uses a custom lossless codec for pre-renders. I have a 100m feature film that generates huge size pre-renders.

I would like to disable audio pre-render and use Cineform as a pre-render codec. Is that possible ?

Comments

• Not currently.

Chances are the pre-render codec will always remain the propriety one. Part of this is export restrictions on the demo version of Pro. A pre-render to a common codec could be used to bypass those export restrictions, requiring pre-renders to be disabled in the demo. Mods are user volunteers, not FXHOME staff, so this is conjecture, but probably accurate. 

• @Triem23 The demo version could simply not have the alternative codecs as an option, as realistically the pre-renders aren't going to be the thing that makes you choose to upgrade to Pro. Just stick with that it has now for Pro Demos, then unlock other codec options when it's paid for.

Wouldn't matter with Express, it could have all the codec options, as it would be unable to render clips containing effects only found in Pro anyway, just like it does now when you load a Pro project into Express - it simply removes them.

So, yes: Express by default would have more render choices than Pro would in its demo mode, which would also allow people to test it out in Express as way of deciding if that particular feature/ performance enhancement would make them want to upgrade to Pro.

Win-win for everyone, no way to bypass anything.

• I have the paid version. In ae you manually link a comp to a proxy file. It would be an easy fix to allow a separate render to any codec. Once rendered, I can link the comp to the proxy. Any instance of the comp would refer the proxy, hence saving on render times

• edited September 2018

I think the pre-render codec should have an option for Cineform RGB(A).

The lossless is nice, and necessary to have but it is overkill for most use. It is very heavy on I/O bandwidth due to the very large files. The bandwidth for a single file can overwhelm a single spinning disk. Only one with lots of unused ram for system disk cache overcomes this.

Lossless is perfect of course, but the lossy codecs these days are awfully good and give a good option.

• Added this to the Wishlist and a link to here.

• Once a Hitfilm comp is pre-rendered, it's already redirected to the proxy files and any instances of that comp also refer to the pre-rendered file. It's identical workflow. The only advantages are using the file in other programs, in which case I can background render while editing, then load the render. Since a pre-render is invalidated by any changes to the comp shot, there's no disadvantage to doing a separate background render. The only advantage is saving I/O resources as @NormanPCN notes. Saving I/O resources is really the only reason to implement this. IMHO.

But I don't work for FXHOME, so Wishlist it and the devs might debate. 

• On this topic can I somehow set a proxy still for comps that have a static image?