THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• @Davlon @NormanPCN We know about the text issues (including kerning) and intend to fix them in the not so distant future. Stay tuned :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@CedricBonnier since kerning would be an overhaul of the core Text engine, I'm just gonna guess that's a future "full number" update. May I just say I do get that things like the Layout Panel, onscreen FX controls and kerning are low level changes and I do appreciate the new update model. Under prior models none of these are things users would see until November (Pro) or next May (Express). I'm certain the team is glad that the layout panel wasn't something finished in April that you couldn't show off for half a year. 

• I know it's a lot to ask for, but adding expressions like in Adobe After Effects would be a great addition to HitFilm!

• I don't know if someone else has suggested it in the 56 pages of a thread I haven't had time to read entirely, but I'd love to have the ability to have more than one channel in the Value Graph so that I can compare timings. It seems difficult to get the same timing on effects over several different elements - perhaps I'm just doing it wrong?

B

• I'd also like to double click on a text layer to select the text in it, rather than trying to click in the layer with the text tool and getting a different text layer (even if I have hidden it). Again, there is probably a failsafe method that works every time that I don't know...

B

• Color management support -- video I/O box integration... at least hopefully with the Black Magic models since they're the least expensive...

... and... Red SDK integration? 

Tangent panel support?

• Hi,

Is it possible to add support for large 360° image (>8K resolution). 

The reason that it should have a high resolution is that the image should remain sharp when zooming in. 

Thanks in advance.

•  Hi

Of course support of Gh5 4::2:2 10 bits ;)

• New one:    Before export/rendering the timeline, the system needs to check for missing resources and send up a flag if a file is missing.   I renamed a file in Windows file explorer without updating the link in Hitfilm, The file rendered out with a handsome red square alert in the middle  of the screen.   Better would be a pre-flight check before the render begins.

• Davlon

1+

• edited June 10

Hi there, here are my suggestions :

1.  Surround Sound Support ( Mainly 5.1 & 7.1 )

2. Timeline render Support

3. Multicam editing mode

4. Change Layer Colors

5. Timeline comparison (Compare the timeline of the new project file vs previous project files)

6. DCI-P3 Color space support

7. P2 export

8. Text auto center anchor point button

9. Midi controller support for controls

10. Hitfilm remote app for android/ios

11.  External audio and referrence audio auto sync

12. Popout timecode display window

13. Rotoscope tool

• The Puppet tool for Express. I need it so badly, there are always times when I need it, and I just don't have the budget to spend 25$ for it as an add on pack.  I just need it so badly, and it should totally be added to Express. 

please.

• All the ways in which Hitfilm can do transitions is pretty amazing, but a major PITA to actually use them in the NLE unless you do the sort that can be achieved with something like Set Matte on the upper layer to reveal the one below.  Having the lower one do something more interesting, such and deBlurring, or unMosaicing etc. can't be done that way. If you then change the section of the clip you want to use: start again.

It would be really good if you could could nominate a 'LeftClip' and 'RightClip' - even giving them specific 'magic' names in a composite shot on a couple of planes, for Hitfilm to find in the composite shot - then being able to drop an empty "Transition Holder" effect onto a junction between two shots, where you then drag in a composite shot for it to look at, when it would automagically replace the placeholder 'LeftClip' and 'RightClip' with the ends of the clips you just dragged the transition onto.

It's effectively doing all this under the hood for its own Transitions in the NLE, it just needs to expose some of the inputs, so you can hook into it with your own transitions.

• edited June 15

Timeline markers have been suggested before and I'd like to echo that as well.  It'd be a big addition to the timeline IMO.  Personally, it's the single biggest feature I want at the moment. :)

I'd also like to see low-res proxies to make high-res/high-compressed footage easier to handle.  A menu item such as: Right-click on clip > Create Proxy > Full Resolution/Half Resolution/Quarter Resolution and then have a Cineform or Prores proxy rendered in the background.

Thanks! :)

• +1 for Timeline markers. :)

• In another thread, @FrostDrive pointed out the annoyance of having to manually delete linked audio in the main Editor timeline from composite shots that were made from clips that originally had no audio.  It would be helpful if, when making a comp from something in the main Editor, there was a check box in the Make Composite Shot dialog that said something like "Add composite shot audio to Editor timeline".  When unchecked, only the comp's video would show up on the timeline.

Building off @jsbarrett and @FrostDrive perhaps a toggle in Composite Shot properties. A "Mute" checkbox? If possible in order of operations this would be applied at the end of the internal render, allowing Atomic Particles/Audio Waveform/Audio Spectrum to process an audio import layer with no output audio from the Comp?

Since audio tracks can be muted in a comp shot in a layer's control menu and comp shots can be Alt+dragged in or audio unlinked and deleted this would be cool to have but, arguably, not overly important? 

• This is indeed only a minor thing, but it would be great to enhance the effect:

The „Explode“ effect should have the possibility to set the size of the exploding tiles to a „from X to X value“!! (The size is than generated randomly within this predefined values)

Not just only one size, this makes it so predictable and unrealistic.

• edited June 19

-Ability to customize clip colors on timeline

-Multicam

-A way to make spacers on timeline without just making a blank track (maybe customizable size)

-Timeline Markers

• Hello!

It would be great to have an integrated FilmStro panel. 

- Winter!

• Okay -- we're all heading towards 4k eventually,, but our machines can't handle it now.  Is there any method of doing this:

1. Create a project folder with all assets registered in a database.

2. Proxy all 4k  footage and other assets down to 1080p

3. Do the edit at the lower resolution

4.  Then have Hitfilm conform the 4k video and assets during the final export/render to produce a 4k final master?

• Such a workflow would do wonders for HitFilm's ability to handle high res footage on modest machines!

• Okay -- I want a discount on the next year of support for thinking of it.

Joke/no joke

@Davlon in short you want a standard proxy workflow, not the pre-renders Hitfilm currently does. 

• A setup like Vegas has had should be pretty simple and transparent and allows trivial switching between camera source and proxy with the flick of an option. It is a bit restricted in that we have no choice of what the proxy media is. Hitfilm has quality options if one wanted to put that switch option there.

The Resolve mechanism is more flexible in that we are allowed to choose exactly what the optimized media is. Not as trivial to switch from proxy to source but works nonetheless.

Nothing is ever as good as your camera source but that often does not edit well. A real reason these proxy/optimized media options exist in other software. Vegas since 2012. Hitfilm needs to join the party. Even for 1080 work it can make editing workflow that much better for a lot of scenarios.

• Agreed. Even with 2K, the overhead of having several effects especially when compositing can lead to a lot of overhead, easily enough overhead to crush playback. A modern proxy workflow would be a big help for a lot of HitFilm users.

Especially if it gets (finally) R3D support... HitFilm's very efficient, but 8K is still 8K :)

• An Update Button inside the software itself. So, that you don't have to download it from the website and then uninstall the current one, but simply press "Check for updates" etc and if found, you can press it to update in the background

• I think it could be useful to have more control/options about text/shape shadowing/glowing both inner and outer.
    Something like a linear sharp gradient (follow the edge of the text/shape), a diffuse mode to have a soft gradient, an opacity level and so on.

• edited July 10

The ability to box select clips and "Unlink" all of them at the same time, which would just unlink any linked clips.

It would of course, not work in reverse. - Winter!

EDIT: In the timeline, I mean. On Mac I can Alt+drag clips down either without video or audio.

• The NLE/editor timeline marquee selection should auto-scroll the timeline when the selection extends beyond the timeline pane/window boundary. This allows us to select more than is currently visible in the pane. This behavior is standard GUI dogma. The comp timeline supports this ability. Why not the NLE/editor timeline?

When moving a comp timeline layer in the layer order. Again auto scrolling should be supported. The NLE/editor  timeline supports this. Why not the comp timeline? It is the comp timeline where we are much more likely to have many layers/tracks and yet...

Right now we have to move and then drop. Manually scroll some. Then pick up the layer again and move some more. Repeat as necessary. Tedious. This is a problem with pasting a layer. The layer always pastes at the top. What if we want it much lower than that.

On that note, maybe on the right click context menu maybe have a paste above selected layer option in addition to the basic paste. Top selected layer if multiple are selected.