THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• @jsbarrett I believe what you describe--which would be grouping, ala Vegas/FCPX--has come up before. But I'll +1 again. 

• edited February 2018

In the past when I had access to Adobe After Effects, I am pretty sure I was able to import a project and be able to use its compositions, files, etc within the working project file. I believe this would make editing intros and outros into videos way easier than having to export, import the exported file, line up the intros/outros, and export again, so if its possible i would love to see this as a Hitfilm Express and/or Pro feature

• @TheSlice Hitfilm already has this functionality via the Import Composite Shot function. 

Covered here at 9:00 and 37:00

https://youtu.be/pMGpxHBKq9E

• An auto trace option for text 

• An auto-trace feature would be a massive programming headache IMO. Computer fonts aren't made the way we write them, as a series of connected straight and curved segments drawn in sequence.  From my (admittedly limited) understanding, they're described as outlines*, so the auto-tracer would have to first break the outline into component segments (the main headache), then trace them stroke by stroke, but in which direction for each segment?  And what about special/foreign characters?  With some foreign characters, the order and direction of drawing each stroke actually matters.  Leaving that decision to an algorithm is a bad idea.

* The outline nature of fonts is what allows the Neon Path effect to do what it does so easily. It simply reads the outline data for each character and creates a customizable line that follows it.

• https://cineform.blogspot.in/2014/02/quicktime-16-bit.html?m=1

Force 16-bit option passed to qt everytime I render using cineform. It's a very simple fix and will stop the higher file sizes and annoying dithering that I am seeing.

• @jsbarrett who wants to take the time to retrace the individual letters by hand.....its all about what is the quickest way to get the job done.

• This is for the forum... I want the images to embedded.  It would be nice to have so we don't always have to some third party thing to upload our videos to or even pics

• +1 for uploading images to forum for posts.

• @Andersen01498 If auto-trace were possible, it would definitely mean a lot less manual tracing. I'm not saying it wouldn't. What I'm saying is that it's a HUGE undertaking from a programming perspective, if it's even possible at all. Does a similar feature exist in any other application?  I'm guessing it doesn't, which tells you how willing developers are to put money and time into solving the problem.

There are lots of things that fall under "it would sure save time and effort if [software] would automatically do [task] for me."  However, it all comes down to money and time, i.e. what will it cost the developers of [software] to implement the feature, and is that really the best use of their resources.  As much as it might benefit users to have the feature, it's not going to be added if the development cost can't be justified.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Devs, just look for "TLDR" bits in bold. 

I'm not certain WHY @Andersen01498 wants to auto-trace text? Adobe Illustrator and After Effects do have auto trace functions, but both are designed to create a vector mask from a bitmapped image. One doesn't have much control over how the mask is created (like, say, an origin point).

So, given that the text is already a vector mask, technically it can't be auto traced. 

Now, I can come up with two reasons Andersen might want to "Auto Trace" text. First would be to directly manipulate the vector verticies to change the shape of text directly. This would be hugely powerful for titling and motion graphics. The first step in making that happen is having "Shape Layer" in Hitfilm. In some ways this is a no-brainer. Masks and shapes are both vector shapes, but order of operations is different. I won't go into details, but, as far as I can tell shape layer data is calculated, transforms are applied, a bounding box determines the size of the layer, the shape is rendered, then passed to effects. In Hitfilm dimensions and initial rasterization happens first, then masks, transforms and effects, etc. I speculate Adobe-style shape layers require substantial work since they seem to work outside current order of operations. This is a "full version" task, not a "decimal" task. 

But, TLDR shape layers would then allow for converting text to shape and vector image import, as well as direct manipulation and animation of the vector points, so, those would be great, if a pain to implement. 

The other thing Andersen wants could be having a shape separated to "strokes" for handwriting animation. This is practically impossible. Besides @jsbarrett s post, above, well, Neon Path would show Islands for strokes. Fonts are outlines.

• @Triem23 does hitfilm have the ability to separate each letter individually like in title studio?

•  +1 for uploading images directly to forum 

• +1 for Markers

• edited March 2018

Let's just get some of the Cool Audio Effects that Sony Vegas and Audacity has, Like

Distortion: And I'm not Talking about Channel Levels.

Reverb: So the Existing Reverb Effects go as Presets in the Reverb Effect,

Track EQ: But if there is an Effect Like that in Hitfilm, then I'm Sorry.

Vibrato: Along with a Vibration Value, so you don't have to make a Composite Shot and Modify the Pitch of the Pitch Effect Up and Down.

Vocoder: You know, for Robots and Meme Videos.

Resonant Filter: Again so the Telephone and Shortwave Radio go as Presets in the Resonant Filter Effect.

Decimator: Lowers the Quality of the Audio, Presets can be 8000, 11025 and 22050.

And the Allowance of OGG, OGA and OGV File Formats to be Imported.

• having different sorts of anime special effects would be nice. For example, the rasengan/ chidori would be great as well as a shadow cone or Dragon ball z type ki blasts. 

• i'd like to +1, comment, and expand on "Separate Stop and Pause buttons, where Stop returns playhead to where playback began. (StormyKnight/Robin)"

i'm coming from vegas.  and this is what i like to happen with my play/pause/stop buttons:

• i press play, the video plays from the location of the playhead. it remembers the start location of the playhead.
    • i press play again (while playing!), the playhead jumps back to its start location and plays from there. (manual looping.)
    • i press stop (while playing).  the playback stops and the playhead jumps back to its start location.
    • i press pause (while playing).  the playback stops and the playhead stops where it was (this is its new 'start' location).
    • i press pause (while not playing).  playback starts, as if i had pressed the play button.

love ya, hitfilm!!  :)

• edited March 2018

@Bloodsong13T

I would want such features to be toggled. I don’t find them to be intuitive at all. 

I’d rather hit “M” to set a marker and jump to markers. 

DaVinci Resolve has a feature where you hit "/" and it plays back a range of 2 seconds before and 2 seconds after from where the play head is. Where you can adjust the play back range in the settings. So, if 2 seconds is too long, you can set it to 1 second, or more.

The point is to have control over play back features. So everyone can adjust the settings to their workflow.

• I have two things I want, JUST TWO! The first is a Font Preview next to the font in the drop doen menu.... this seems small, but when I know im going to be working with text alot in a comp, I just use After Effects because I can see what the font looks like. 

I think this is similar or perhaps the same as what @JSBARRETT was saying, but it would be great if there was a function that "snapped" all of your clips on the editor timeline together, not necessarily "linking" them. 

Ok I lied, here is #3. Would be great to apply a single transition to all or highlighted clips on timeline at once rather than inserting the transition manually on each cut (if there is already a way to do this I apologize...but tell me!) 

;-)

•  Here's one for the wish list.

Fake shadow.

now i know at first this seems impossible.  actually wouldn't be that hard.  it would use a basic projection principle on a 2 plane axis (in 3d) where the light source would more or less be similar to distort in photoshop.  i could fake something like this in a 3d package so writing up the code wouldn't be that hard

just a thought :)  would help some of the people who struggle with getting shadows right

• Why not use the real shadows you can already generate in Hitfilm? 

• from a 2d image?  i didn't know you could would be happy to see a tut on it

• Make the 2D image 3D? Lots on YouTube about casting shadows from text etc.

• I know i have said this before.....LOCKED LAYERS and NESTING SEQUENCES in the editor timeline

• Can we have the Method and Stretch Attributes that Sony Vegas has, so we can Make Fake Female Voices?

•  @Palacono not make 2d into 3d.  make a plugin for a shadow using  a projection

@Jarrahv1 You want a 2D filter to generate a shadow on what? On something else 2D? In this case you'd have to have some way of defining 3D surfaces on the 2D layer--now you're asking for a filter to generate and calculate 3D, so you might as well be in 3D anyway. 

To throw a shadow from a 2D object to existing 3D planes, I'm with @Palacono--just make it 3D.

If you're referring to Photoshop's lighting effects filter, then Hitfilm already has this. Parallax. 

I'm not really understanding what you want this effect to do, or even why it's necessary. Just working in 3D solves it. If you're worried about a 2D layer moving out of camera view, then parent it to the camera after the 3D is set, and it will stay in the same relative location.

You mentioned you could code this in a 3D app, therefore this should be easy to do in 2D? False equivalence fallacy, I think, since, in some way this filter would basically have to create 3D data. It HAS to to either take a relative position of an existing light, and a virtual position of the 2D object to cast shadows on 3D objects, or (again) have to generate a pseudo 3D object to catch the shadows, which, again leads back to just working in 3D!

I don't suppose the Drop Shadow effect is what you want? 

+1 for Locked Layers. 

+1 for pitch shift effect. 

I'll vote again for a Photoshop/Ae style Liquify tool, with the note that Liquify converts and image into a tesselated mesh then deforms it. Since the existing Puppet tool tesselates an image into a mesh, then distorts it, much of the groundwork should be laid already. :) 

• edited March 2018
    1+

I know i have said this before.....LOCKED LAYERS and NESTING SEQUENCES in the editor timeline

1+

• +1 for nesting sequences