Rate the last film you watched

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Man of Steel - 7/10
    I don't know... They turned Sups into Bruce Banner and this movie feels a little bit like the Hulk crossed with Thor. But, I am a Marvel guy, so don't kill me for saying that.
    Beyond that, Pa Kent trying to convince Clark not to help people so he can stay hidden is very weird. The argument about saving (or not saving) the busload of kids fell flat in a big way for me. Pa Kent sacrificing himself in the tornado also didnt work at all for me.
    On the plus side, I though Faora-Ul was the single most interesting a visually awesome character in the entire movie. The way she moved, fought and the poses she struck were great. I would watch a movie about her character in a second. 
  • Gravity: 10/10
    I don't even know what to say.  Alfonso Cuarón has created his masterpiece, and the greatest space film of all time, and what is probably the most important film of the year.  I know it took a lot for him to get it made the way he wanted it made, and it was absolutely worth every effort.  It is unbelievably intense, horrifying, heartbreaking, and sublimely beautiful.  It is my favorite film of 2013 without question, and probably in my top five favorites of all time.  I would not hesitate to call this a perfect film, and it doesn't matter if the physics don't add up, or if trajectories are inaccurate, blah blah blah.  Anyone who lets something like that hamper their enjoyment of this film is missing the point of watching movies in general.
    Absolutely see it in 3D, IMAX if you can.  Gravity is an experience that is not to be missed.  It's not a film that you stop watching, it's a film that releases you.

It is so unfair that Gravity isn't over here until early November. I can't even - Gah! Such impatience!!!

• Gravity: 6/10
    Saw it last night. Whilst the graphics, camera work etc are stunning, I just got bored. I felt no empathy for any the characters, weak dialogue and predictable story line. I seriously considered leaving the cinema after the first 30mins. It improved a bit, but not much.
    I just can't believe how positive all the reviews are...but it's not the first time I am truly disappointed in a movie that rates at over 90% on rotten tomatoes...
  • THOR: The Dark World 7/10
    Loved it. At times I felt like it did fantasy better than The Hobbit and pulp sci-fi better than any Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back. The unique space fantasy genre that they touched upon in the first film is fully embraced here and it's exhilarating, visual imagination jumping out and surprising me all the way through the film.
    Performances didn't seem quite as solid as in the first one, perhaps due to the guiding hand of experienced thesp Kenneth Branagh no longer being in charge.
    Excellent to see Loki as a proper trickster for the first time - something they've not really done properly in Thor or Avengers.
    Certainly not without flaws - Malekith isn't developed nearly enough (reminded me of Bana's almost non-existent villain from Star Trek 1, though not quite that bad), the conclusion to the finale is a little muddled and unclear, and Portman's character is a little too damsel-in-distress for my liking still, but the overall entertainment value is through the roof.
  • edited November 2013

The Purge: 7/10
    Somewhat predictable, after the initial plot unfolds about 30 mins. in, there are a few plot twists I wasn't expecting. This movie also has a very nicely crafted creep factor.
    I wouldn't hail the "New Founding Fathers" myself- but it has an interestingly scary notion on how to end poverty, crime and unemployment. Hope no country ever goes down this road. Worth at least one viewing.
    After Earth: 7/10
    An interesting look into a time when humans no longer populate the Earth and are forced to move to Nova Prime where an alien race almost wipes out humanity- and all this in the first ten minutes! The rest of the movie revolves around a cadet facing seemingly insurmountable challenges after failing to become a Ranger.
    The story was written by Will Smith and stars him and his son; however, if you don't care for M. Night Shyamalan's directing you probably won't like this movie either. I would have given it another point but they showed the image of a Nobel Peace Prize winner who didn't do anything to earn it. So deduct one point for that.......for what it's worth. Otherwise, I give it 8/10.
    Pacific Rim: 6/10
    If they took the 'GDs' and other bad language out, lowered the rating to PG, I think this movie would have wider appeal and they could have gotten a lot of younger viewers on board. While the effects were spectacular and the premise kind of 'out there', which is always a draw for me, I couldn't get past the rigid acting (reminiscent of a SyFy Channel made movie) and constant yelling. There were a few normal conversation level scenes but eventually someone got ticked off about something and the yelling started up again. By the time the final battle scene came around, I was kind of- well, not kind of- I was tired of listening to the movie. It held my attention but I couldn't connect with any of the characters even on a basic level. Worth at least one viewing- and hey- more if you liked it.
  • Phoebe in Wonderland - 5/5
    This was a great little family film. Elle Fanning played a very convincing character, and the supporting cast was great. Not much of an action flick, but it was a nice refreshing break from my normal types of films.
    The Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe - 5/5
    Had to re-watch this one for the 30th time just last night. Love Adamson's directing style and the performance of the children. I'm very fond of the books, and I felt they did a great job at adapting them.
    Let Me In - 4/5
    Again, another re-watch just a few days ago. There is something about the story line that just seems so original, in a genre where everything has been done 500 times over.
  • Thor: The Dark World  -  6/10
    I liked it more than the first Thor.  They did add in a little bit more character development into this one.  And the pacing was better.  But I still don't feel any chemistry between Portman and Hemsworth.  I think Portman has a problem with acting in romantic scenes.  It brought back memories of the Anakin romance from Star Wars.  I could tell that she really wasn't into Hemsworth and that bled through to her performance.  But Hopkins and Hemsworth had some good father/son scenes.  And you get a much more rounded version of Loki this time around.
  • Man of Steel: 4/10
    Firstly, I'm not a fan of the Superman character, but I did think it was great that they stuck with a non-human villain, and never even brought up the concept of Kryptonite.  Those were smart moves, I think, but so much else just went horribly wrong.
    Superman kills Zod by snapping his neck, really?  After they have spent hours establishing that nothing can harm a Kryptonian while they are on earth?   If it was possible for Kryptonian bones to break, then certainly being thrown through multiple buildings at hundreds of miles an hour would have some effect.  But no, they are completely invincible until the script requires that physical abuse causes damage.  That's for me, was the icing on this rubbish cake.
  • @Axel they spent hours establishing that all the man made stuff wouldn't affect them. Clearly Kryptonians are stonger than the force of being throwing hundreds of miles an hour into buildings.  I think the weakness still stands.  Its baby strength vs an adult.  A baby can't hurt you but another adult can.
  • If a Kryptonian is throwing you through the building, @MichaelJames, then your argument is irrelevant, because Kryptonians are the force throwing you.  None of the Kryptonians on earth could hurt each other up until that moment, and it was stupid.
  • Well, the typical argument is that Superman isn't impervious, but very durable. In the comics there are certainly beings powerful enough to kill Kal-El (Doomsday and Darksied for two). But two Kryptonians would certainly possess enough power to injure and kill each other--on the other hand, at least Axel's objection is based on what he perceives as an inconstancy in the way the Kryptonian powers are portrayed, and not a "Superman doesn't kill" arguement. The "doesn't kill" doesn't wash, as I can name at least six instances in which Superman kills, or intends to kill, spread across comics, tv shows and other movies.
  • edited November 2013
    I have returned to the forums! Not like anyone missed me :P

Iron Man 3: 4/10
    A lot more childish than the previous films. A better sequel than Iron Man 2 but not by a country mile. You get a lot more action than that film that will make the 10 year old in you jump in excitement but it is evident that the Iron Man film series is losing the charm the first film brought. Acting has deteriorated as with innovation of action scenes which mainly consist of lame jokes and "obstacles". A fun watch for the action but scenes other than that are poorly done. Not as disappointing as I thought but it's definitely a laughable punchline.
    Man of Steel: 7/10
    Lives up to the hype in an action spectacle way with a fantastic cast and amazing visual effects but a lot of scenes and useless "AMERICA! YEAH!!!" moments ruined it for me. I wouldn't say that it's The Dark Knight of Superman but I do agree that it can seem like it with the lack of humor and a much darker tone than the previous Superman films. Well shot and acted with A LOT of action that will put a grin on your face with a story that is generic but definitely has character somewhat.
    Gravity: 6/10
    Definitely as thrilling as the trailers show but scenes that didn't involve dangerous space leaping didn't connect well with me, especially with Bullock showing off with her short shorts, which NO astronaut would wear under their suit. The acting, direction and sound is spot on despite a pretty weak story. I feel the selling point was the execution of the space disaster sequences and the rest of the "story" just felt too Hollywood for me. I hate it when "scientists" take a stab at films since they're purely fiction but there are a few very obvious physically inconsistent moments that pulled me out of the experience. A great watch but in retrospect it was over hyped.
    Captain Phillips: 10/10
    Paul Greengrass really nails suspense in his films including in United 93, his Bourne films and now in Captain Phillips. Top acting not just from Tom Hanks whose performance hasn't reached my heart since Philadelphia, but also of the first time Somali actors and the authentic military people. Like United 93, even though we know how the story ends, Paul managed to keep us hooked and feel emotional, which is pretty damn hard to pull off! Well shot, great music, gripping as ever and an Oscar contender. A few technical standouts aside, probably my favorite film of the year so far. 
  • edited December 2013
    Berberian Sound Studio: 9/10
    This is an utterly fascinating film.  Toby Jones plays a quiet and timid sound engineer who is hired by an Italian studio to work on a violent horror film.  Increasingly disturbed by the content of the film, he eventually suffers a bit of a mental breakdown.
    Though the film is never shown, Berberian Sound Studio demonstrates exactly why sound is so important in films by giving a glimpse into the actual foley techniques and production that goes into creating such visceral sound effects.  It's often horrifying even though there is never any physical violence or gore whatsoever, only the sound.  Shots of rotting vegetables are the only "disturbing" imagery.  If you're familiar with foley, you already know the tricks, but by focusing on the sound, seeing Jones rip the stems off of radishes can be extremely brutal.
    That is not to put aside the lovely camera work and fantastic acting, but the real star of this film is the sound.  It's a visceral and engaging psychological drama, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in film.  I've never seen anything quite like it.
  • Captain Phillips 10/10
  • Saritov Aproach 8/10
    Great suspense, great action and great meaning 
  • The Wolverine: 6/10
    I mostly enjoyed this film, and that was mainly due to Jackman being in almost every scene.  He's just loads of fun to watch.  Enough so that you can forgive most of the movie that's trying to happen around him.  Most of the choreography was well-done, keeping the action scenes fairly exciting, but the plan to defeat Wolverine at the end hinged on a fundamental misunderstanding of physics, and would have utterly failed.
    Hot metal IS NOT stronger than cold metal.  Quite the opposite in fact, heating metal makes it very soft, and hitting a red-hot adamantium sword against cold adamantium claws would sever the sword, not the claws.  In the specific scene here, where the claws are laying on the ground, the sword would have been dented by them, but the claws would have been unaffected.  Also, when they have to travel 500 km in the snow, they choose motorcycles?!?

But all in all, a moderately enjoyable action flick worth seeing once.  Better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, for sure, but not as good as X2 or First Class.
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff
    edited December 2013
    Captain Phillips 8/10
    I really loved this film, and I wasn't expecting to. Tom Hanks has always been an emotional crush of mine, but he hasn't had a chance really to get his teeth into a major role recently. This was suspense from the very start and I was gripping my chair throughout the whole thing. I also realised during the credits that my dry mouth was a result of having it open virtually the whole time, jaw on the floor. You really sympathise for all of the characters (difficult considering 3 are pirates) and it's always (at least for me) in the forefront of your mind that this is a true story. The colours (mostly reds and oranges from the distress lights in the liferaft) are beautiful, and I would have wanted more of that kind of aesthetic, but of course it took place at night so they had little choice. You can feel the panic during the kidnap and the subsequent discussions - and the most amazing scene for me was (***SPOILERS***) at the end when Tom Hanks is trying to keep it together in his examination but keeps breaking down. Amazing acting. LOVED this movie.
    Perks of being a WallFlower 9/10
    OK, so I'm a little late with watching this - I've read the book many times but never wanted to watch the movie in case it spoilt it. As it happens, I can't imagine this book being better translated to the screen (although unfortunately they did remove some of the deeper and darker aspects to appeal to an American audience). The acting of all characters is near-on perfect and the simplicity of the script continues to astound me. They don't fill the movie with needless lines, but instead concentrate on the very core of the meaning of the book, and use the camera to express the rest. Absolutely beautiful scenes and lighting (specifically in the tunnel) but for me the best example of the simplicity/cleverness of the movie is the scene where Charlie (***SPOILERS***) is experiencing his breakdown, and they split him across the road (by that I mean he is multiplied). Something which a lot of directors wouldn't dare to do, but works perfectly here. Something for the sentimental lot of you!
    Gravity 10/10
    What can I say. Awesome. Perhaps a little too much emphasis on the metaphors, but just an incredible experiences.
  • Let Me In - 4/5
    Again, another re-watch just a few days ago. There is something about the story line that just seems so original, in a genre where everything has been done 500 times over.

Also, Landon Parks - I just have to say, if you love the American version 'Let me In' then be sure to watch 'Let the Right One In' - the original Swedish version directed by Tomas Alfredson. I studied the Swedish book for my university dissertation and fell in love with it so watched all the accompanying films. 
    'Let me In', although still great, has been seriously Americanised to appeal to another audience - it leaves out much of what is shocking and controversial about the book itself. There's also a bunch of questions about gender, society and sexuality which it just doesn't address. 
    If you like the general plot but want to see the original, darker, more atmospheric version, take a look at the Swedish version - you can get it with translated subs online. 

• Also, Landon Parks - I just have to say, if you love the American version 'Let me In' then be sure to watch 'Let the Right One In' - the original Swedish version directed by Tomas Alfredson. I studied the Swedish book for my university dissertation and fell in love with it so watched all the accompanying films. 
    'Let me In', although still great, has been seriously Americanised to appeal to another audience - it leaves out much of what is shocking and controversial about the book itself. There's also a bunch of questions about gender, society and sexuality which it just doesn't address. 
    If you like the general plot but want to see the original, darker, more atmospheric version, take a look at the Swedish version - you can get it with translated subs online. 

Agreed - the original Swedish version is fantastic!

• edited February 2014
    Ender's Game 9/10
    I don't think I can recall a movie in which the ending is all at once a surprise, anticlimactic and yet still delivers a heavy impact.....especially to the main character. I would elaborate but as River Song always says..........spoilers!

Escape Plan 8/10
    Not weighted down by a lot of dialogue- you really have to 'watch' this one. Plenty of action for being in prison and a nice surprise once Stallone figures a way out. Then there are bigger problems to solve!
  • Evil Dead - 2013 Reboot - 7.5/10
    Its a good movie and Fede Alverez is a good first time director. The problem is: removing all the humor and over-the-top action in favor of making it "griity and realistic". As a huge fan of the Evil Dead trilogy I understand that the first movie was not a comedy, but the fact is that the second two movies are comedies and thats what the series is known for. And taking all of the humor and over-the-top action turns Evil Dead from an original horror series into a generic horror series. Still, its a good movie and worth watching.
  • Lego Movie - 9/10 - Very good film for everyone to enjoy.
    Thor: The Dark World - 7/10 -  At least it's better than the first.
    Captain Phillips - 9/10 - Awesome movie with a very decent story line.
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel - 10/10
    Wes Anderson does it again.  He's been one of my favorite filmmakers since Rushmore, and never fails to disappoint.  I know a lot of people would say his style is overplayed by this point, but I'd argue that he continues to refine it with each successive release.  Moonrise Kingdom was an absolute masterpiece, and a tough act to follow, but Grand Budapest pulls it off wonderfully.  Being the only film he's made where he is the sole screenwriter, it feels like he's letting loose a bit, and it results in a completely bonkers madcap comedy.  I was strongly reminded of the works of Jean-Pierre Jeunet throughout (particularly Delicatessen), and had a huge grin on for most of the running time.  
    It's impeccably detailed, and it's clear that he's learned a lot from his most recent outings, and used those tricks here to great effect.  Lots of miniature and stop motion work with some really beautiful and charming matte painted backgrounds.  And spectacular casting as well, and as always.  The man is a genius, and this is one of his most solidly entertaining films, and probably the funniest one he's ever done.
    Noah - 8/10
    Darren Aronofsky is another of my favorite directors, and while this certainly wasn't my favorite of his work, it's got rather a lot going for it.  I found it to be largely spectacular, but with some minor missteps that dampened the experience for me.  There's an unbalanced feeling to it, like it's two movies mashed together.  One is a beautiful and somber, introspective character study dealing with a man's increasing obsession, and the other is a high fantasy epic.  There are times that the two films don't blend particularly well, but other times that it REALLY works.
    If you're expecting anything like what you learned at Sunday School, you will be disappointed, and possibly offended by this film.  You'll also probably think it is incredibly weird.  It is a fantasy/sci-fi film inspired by the biblical story.  It's beautifully shot, the casting is mostly very strong, and the score is amazing.  It also has some of Aronofsky's most compelling visuals, and I was strongly reminded of The Fountain in certain scenes.  It easily could have gone in a much darker direction than it did, and while I kinda hoped it would have, I think the way it played out worked very well, and it came to a mostly satisfying, but somewhat abrupt conclusion.  It is a very dark film though.  I think Aronofsky really nailed the apocalypse aspect and made it quite justly terrifying.  Recommended!
  • edited April 2014
    47 Ronin - ?/10
    I don't know where to begin. Probably the worst movie I've seen in the last decade. The movie that was advertised to me is not the same movie that I saw. 47 Ronin was advertised as high fantasy with lots of cool effects and action. The movie I saw was a lot of old men grimacing at the camera while Keanu tried to act Japanese. Also, Hollywood needs to stop with the whole Avatar, Last Samurai, Dances with Wolves trope of the white man who will save the poor native people who can't help themselves. So then, about an hour into the movie I couldn't take it anymore and started fast forwarding to get to the good parts. There were no good parts. Horrible.
    Frankenstein's Army - 8/10
    A Czechoslovakian movie about WW II Russian soldiers who find a decedent of Frankenstein's secret lab and horrible experiments still inside. 'Nuff said. Watch it.   
  • edited April 2014
      The last one I saw in theaters was Captain America winter soldier. IT WAS AMAZING!!!! I give it a 10/10 points. I love that movie SO much.
      The last movie I saw out of theaters was, I now I should have seen it sooner, but, it was Back to the Future. It was great. I give it 9/10 points. It had almost every element a movie could have... comedy, action, sci-fi, and more.
       The last two movies I saw are great. The next movie I can't wait for is the next Hobbit movie. 
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier 8/10 - perhaps my favourite of all the Marvel movies to date. It easily surpasses Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 simply by being about something - namely privacy, security, anti-terrorism, surveillance etc. By locking into real-world themes it becomes relevant and interesting and thought provoking, even while sticking to the genre expectations of explosions and punchy fists.
    In fact, the first half of the film hints at a Marvel film with minimal action and more subterfuge. That temptation of a spy caper is hugely exciting, but then the film goes off into major action territory - which is fine, and great fun, but I'd love to have seen that alternate, more grounded spy thriller. Maybe we need a Black Widow/Nick Fury film that takes more from Bourne & co than from The Avengers?
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    Agreed on Cap. Also, they did something normally unexpected in a franchise movie--they shook up the spine of the story arc. To keep it spoiler-free, let's just say that the aftermath of Winter Soldier has a serious "well, NOW what?" vibe.

Strongest Marvel movie yet. I'll agree with the 8/10.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Yeah. A lot of people dismiss the Marvel films but they're actually pretty daring in their conception - albeit within blockbuster definitions. The long-term storytelling and willingness to shake things up is commendable. In retrospect it's easy to ignore what they've achieved so far:
    - Made Iron Man a mainstream hit, when nobody knew who he was on release.
    - Managed to fit the high fantasy of Thor into the same franchise without it dying a nasty death.
    - Brought together multiple film franchises into a single movie in The Avengers, and actually made it good.
    - Hired interesting directors and actors.
    - Timed a TV show to air concurrently with the movie releases - while the TV show's quality is extremely patchy, the tie-in with Winter Soldier was a really exciting experiment which actually succeeds in making weekly, scheduled, episodic TV worthwhile again.
    - With Winter Soldier, they've destroyed their established setup for something new and exciting.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    It's the "Empire Strikes Back" of Marvel Movies.
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff
    edited April 2014
    Well, the 10 hour flight to NAB and back actually allowed for a lot of movies to be watched, so I have a fair list (here are the best):
    Kick Ass 2 - 6/10
    I know a lot of people are going to be utterly confused by this, but I actually liked this movie. Sure, Chloe Moretz's constant puppy eyes, creepy use of the word "daddy" and curl of the lip to show that she felt happy/sad/angry/flirty/murderous/bored/sleepy/excited did become a LITTLE frustrating, but I looked past that.
    The plot was fairly thin but there was a level of enjoyment to this I can't deny. Some people have told me that it's lost the original purpose which was to take the mick out of superheroes, but I think it did quite well in that respect. It was so utterly over the top that it heightened my experience, I think.
    And yes, I did cry at a certain scene *not going to give spoilers*
    Plus - I had no IDEA that Jim Carrey was Colonel Stars and Stripes until his final scene where he gave a token smirk and I realised who it was! Nice surprise :)
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 7/10
    I was really pleasantly surprised by Walter Mitty. I had expected it to be thin on the ground in terms of the plot, and while it was a little slow paced at times, the actual scenes were pretty beautiful. Elliot and I watched it in sync on the way out to Vegas and it was interesting seeing him guess the plot ahead of time when I had absolutely no clue what would be happening. So I can see the other side of this, where it was seen to be a bit predictable and boring - but personally it kept my attention the whole way through. Obviously could have done with some more scenes like the jump into the helicopter, the Mr Stretch fight and the building fire - but there's only so much they can do in one film when it essentially focuses around 'real life'.
    Perhaps I empathized because I'm very similar and daydream at pretty much anything. The only difference is he zones out while I can keep my mouth talking and my eyes blinking. It was really nice to see a film focused solely on the concept of daydreaming - and with a happy ending!
    August: Osage County - 8/10
    Wow - if you're on a long haul flight and don't want to be upset for most of it, do not watch this film.
    The majority of people I talk to have never heard of this film, but it's honestly brilliant - mainly for the performances of the actors as opposed to any action sequences etc.
    There are loads of twists, turns and surprises, and gorgeous cinematography (hard to avoid being filmed in Oklahoma) - it's really a film for the soul, but extraordinarily sad - and not in the way you expect at the beginning of the film.
    And then of course, there's the cast: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts, with Ewan McGregor, Chris Cooper, Abigail Breslin, Juliette Lewis, and Benedict Cumberbatch. All performed brilliantly.
    Considering it started its life as a Pulitzer-prize winning play, the adaptation to screen has been done wonderfully - and the script is exquisite. I know it's not the average action film, but it really is one to watch if you fancy a good, hard think about things.