Hitfilm and Cineform

So from what I've gathered here,

...For the most part, all of the widely used formats are compatible, other than AVCHD.

and from a forum search, the Cineform codec appears to be giving people trouble. Since I shoot with a camera the outputs AVCHD, Cineform as an intermediate is a must for me. Besides working butter smooth in my NLE, it up-converts 4:2:0 sub-sampled AVCHD to 4:2:2, which I prefer for grading and the like.
SO.
Is Hitfilm something I should invest in yet? I'm a huge fan of FXhome, all the way back to CSB Digital days and own everything from AlamDV to Chromanator to the Lab products. But before I move on, I need to make sure my workflow won't be hindered.
Appreciate the feedback.

Comments

• I've found hitfilm is currently a bit sluggish with cineform compared to say Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10. More of a worry for me is that the last couple of neoscene updates wont convert my footage anymore. It just errors out so I've had to abandon using it for now anyway.

• I've found hitfilm is currently a bit sluggish with cineform compared to say Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10. More of a worry for me is that the last couple of neoscene updates wont convert my footage anymore. It just errors out so I've had to abandon using it for now anyway.

Hi DreamArch,
    If your talking about the simaltanious capture and convert to a .AVI file at the same time, this has been resolved.
    I agree Cineform is'nt exactly optimized in Hitfilm yet but there was quite an improvement in the last update. To get it running like it does in Vegas there is still a little way to go yet though.
    Im sure they'll sort it
    :D
  • Hey pscamm,
    its just the simple file convert that doesn't work with footage from my D7000. I dont think I've changed any camera settings that would affect the file output and yet footage shot a moth or two ago works, and footage recently doesn't. I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest
  • Hi DreamArch,
    Hmmmm, that is interesting, i'd be inclined to roll back to a previous version and see if it all works again like it did before. Might be a 'bug' which has crept into the latest builds.
    It would'nt be the first time its happened
    @-)
  • I can convert in vegas movie studio to cineform so thats a work around.
    I did update my camera firmware but I can't remember if the good footage is before or after I did that.
    I might just log a ticket with cineform and attach some dodgy footage, see if they can tell me whats wrong. I might also try it on my desktop PC rather than the laptop it is currently on just in case. I am also as you suggested, going to roll back to a previous version of neoscene first to see if that fixes it but I am not confident that it will.
  • Just checked out the firmware update and found this was part of it
    "•An issue that prevented the opening of movies recorded with the D7000 in certain movie editing software applications has been resolved"
    could this have broken it with neoscene? I wonder...
  • Good Luck DreamArch, let us know if it sorts you out wont you.
  • done some more testing, 5.3.2 works fine, 5.5 all versions fail. I've submitted a ticket to cineform.
  • ok sorted it, here is what cineform sent in reply to my ticket and this sorted it
    Make sure you're logged in as an administrator, turn off User Account Control in windows control panel. Then restart computer.
    Then make sure you have all the latest windows updates.
    Then run the register components tool in the cineform/tools folder in the windows start menu.
    Then install AC3Filter from this link:
    http://www.cineform.com/downloads-other/ac3filter_1_60b.zip
    During install of AC3filter, be sure to select both the 32-bit and 64-bit components.
  • DreamArch,
    Great your up & running again.
  • Thanks for positing this solution up for others to benefit from, DreamArchitect. Sounds like we have at least a few users who rely on Cineform, so no doubt a few others will appreciate the assistance.
  • I suspect it will be more than a few. I chose it based on research that showed it up as one of the most popular intermediate codecs for HD footage. Both Sony vegas and adobe premiere came with it for HDV capture. I am able to get around the Hitfilm performance issues with cinefirm by simply not using it but that is a pain really.