Learn how to create cinematics in Unreal Engine 4 | Starter Guide

edited July 29 in Filmmaking

Since we started posting my UE4 adventures on our social channels we've gotten a few requests for tutorials. Until we get around to that, here are the resources I used to get to where I am now, 4 months after starting.

Where to Start

First, download UE4: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/

My first goal was to go through the Getting Started with Unreal Engine course from the Content Library that Epic Games has online (you might have to sign in to see it). Within this course there is a section for "Your First Hour with UE" to get you up and running with a project quickly.

Expanding Knowledge

After that beginner's course I looked at the ones that go into more detail about specific topics I knew would help what I was wanting to do:

• Lighting Essential Concepts and Effects
  • Materials - Exploring Essential Concepts
  • Post Processing Essentials

Other Tools

• The company Quixel makes excellent programs for creating assets to use in UE4; I use Bridge and Mixer, which gives me free access to super high-quality 3D meshes and the ability to customize the material however I like, respectively.
  • In the Epic Games launcher that you use to launch UE4, check out the Learn tab up top. There are several pre-made projects that you can download and pick apart for free.

Other Helpful Tutorials

With some of the basics out of the way, you can start watching tutorials that will help you make cinematics.

Comments