Best shotgun mic under 150?

Hi,

I am on a 100-150 budget for a shotgun mic (Really looking forward to buying the 200$ Tascam DR60D MKII)

What XLR shotgun mic (for a boom pole, not for direct camera mounting) would you recommend me under 150$?

Is there a better solution for recording XLR audio than the Tascam DR60D MKII?

Thanks.

Comments

• I have  had an at-875r for about 10 years now and it is pretty good. It can be had for less than 150 if you look for it. I do not know what you had before, but I moved from crappy non brand microphone on a Tascam DR40 to the at-875r and it made a huge difference, then I moved to a tascam dr-680 (old, I know) and I have not needed to update since (now, have I wanted, do I lust after 32bit audio? Do a covet an NTG5? Of course I do).

• Ok, thanks for the info!

Any more thoughts?

• Hi,

I have the Tascam DR60D MKII (which I love) paired with a Sony ECM 674 which I got used for $80. There are certainly better mics but the thing that sold me on the Sony (besides the price) is the very low self-noise which all of the other inexpensive shotguns seemed to exhibit significant levels of.

• @Manhit; Great!

Also found the Deity V-Mic D3 pro. Really cool audio and reviews. Because it has a 3,5mm mic imput, I will not need the Tascam DR60D MKII :(. Also looking forward to buying some wireless lavalier mic for wide-angle scenes. What do you think?

• The D3 pro looks fantastic for the price. You could still plug it to the DR60 and avoid recording to camera. With that you'd get 24bit sound and if you configure it so 96KHz frequency rate. Both of them useful if you are going to post process the sound. 

The 24bit thing is uncontroversial.  Many people say 96KHz is useless, but I use RX for noise reduction and years ago did tests and found that I could hear less artifacts when denoising 96KHz sound than when denoising 48KHz sound.

My point is: even with a trs input, there are benefits to using the DR60 over using the camera. 

• Regarding wireless, I have two cheap systems. The audio technica  system 10 and the Azden pro XD. 

With patience both of them can be gotten for very, very cheap if you wait (the AT-10 once went down to 50 quid on amazon, but it caught me broke!).

The AT is a bit big, but I have never had any problems with it and the sound quality was perfect for me. The Azden, as soon as there is a bit of WiFi around, fails a lot, so I cannot recommend it even for a hobbyist.

I am sure you are aware of the Rode wireless solutions and there's a lot more out there, but I have seen mixed reviews for anything that is not like 400 pounds or more per channel. Wireless is difficult (unless you are secretly rich and can buy 2000 quid toys)

• @AramM; Thank you very much for your response! Looked at the Azden and you are correct, it has got interference problems... What do you think about this setup?:

Deity V-Mic D3 pro, Tascam DR-22WL (have it already. And because the mic has 3,5mm non XLR port, I won´t need the Tascam DR60D MKI), Millenium Boompole L with 1/4" adapter, and for wireless I´ve found the RODE wireless go with the reciever conected to the Tascam.

• I have never used the DR-22WL but if you have it already, go ahead. Use it, see what  you can get out of it combined with the D3 pro.  You'll have to play with the preamps in the D3 and in the DR-22WL to find the best balance, but I would assume once you know that, you'll get pretty clean sound. 

No idea about the boom pole. The reviews, for the money, are positive but there was a dude saying that it was noisy when you swing it around. If you are going to record action scenes with a lot of movement you may want to consider something else. 

The Rode Wireless go has plenty of good reviews, but most of them notice you must keep the transmitter and receiver in line of sight. 

• Ok, perfect!!

Thanks.

• The v30 pro is a really good mic

• Hi,

You should probably look for the best 3.5mm cable you can buy since the unbalanced signal they carry degrades over distances. This may be a consideration if you are using the shotgun on a boom pole and why  XLR connections are preferred.

• @Manhit; True. But I think i´ll go for a native XLR mic to avoid any problems...

Have this options: Oktava MK-012 160, Rode NT5, Samson CO2 Any suggestions?

• The first two are definitely way more than 150 dollar in my experience. No idea about the Samson though.

• OK. This is my favourite youtuber for sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDy75_ciuf8

I would say you are better off with the AT-875r than the samson, but they are also different, so different purposes. If you are going to film indoors with plenty of reflective surfaces, the samson may be better. I have definitely experienced issues with the AT-875r due to the interference tube.

• edited May 4

XLR shotgun mic  take it! I have the same very happy with it!

• My fav is Audio-Technica AT875R. This shotgun uses an XLR output. Good sound quality, durable design, affordable price. Rode mics are also good. Here are some reviews

• I recently bought the NTG5 (got a really good deal on it) and lo and behold, for my voice (which is kind of boomy), I like the 875R better. Now, my partner sounds better with the NTG5. I have had the 875R for over 10 years now and for the money, I don't think it can be beaten.