The Outer Realms : Stop motion

Be aware : It is a little dark.
https://youtu.be/-KgQlTWBd10

@filmsensei The ageing effect works  **SO** well. Many thanks for sharing that tutorial.
I also had to go back to FXHome Hitfilm 2 tutorials for the Wizard Battle. 
It was mainly done in Hitfilm Pro 4 except the title page. That was done in Hitfilm 14 using the Game of Thrones FXHome tutorial.

Comments

• I think that this is your best work yet. It looks super good and the plot had twists in it that i did not expect or was able to predict. Your greenscreen work has gotten a lot better too. I just really like this Short overall. You continue to inspire me and i cant wait to start practising stop motion. I just gotta wait untill the carrier admits to losing my shipment, its been a while now, lol!

• @DafterThings Besides the aging effect, that DID work great as you said, I was really wowed by the glowing embers falling on the floor during the magic battle. That looked stupendous!  Good job.

• @DafterThings Wow! That was fantastic!

• Thanks all
    @CNK ; With my green screen I realised I had the lights pointing too directly at it. I know angle them across the screen and it works much better. I can now recognise an even light coverage. I'm not sure why I couldn't see it before. Really interested in what you'll do with stop motion. What sort of stop motion will it be? If using figures what have you gone for?

@tddavis I searched and searched for that effect in Hitfilm. Finally I found " Harry Potter wand VFX tutorial - Part 2"  which showed the actors end of things. It mentioned a previous tutorial for the actual clash of the spells but I couldn't find it. Finally, I realised it was craftily called "Harry Potter priori incantatem 3D particles with physics"
    No wonder I struggled. 

@filmsensei Many people are highlighting the ageing effect. I don't know how you thought of it or heard about it but it's something, I feel, is unique in brickfilms. I'm pretty sure it can be used for other stories. Maybe somebody telling a story of their youth. Thanks again for sharing it.

• "Really interested in what you'll do with stop motion. What sort of stop motion will it be? If using figures what have you gone for?"

Do you mean genre? Honestly, I havent given it much thought but Im leaning towards horror or comedy horror. Ill be starting om square 1, so its going to be interesting.

I'm planning on using Lego. I couldnt find any toys that also provided you with the ability to build houses and things. I think Lego is a safe bet albeit expensive.

• @DafterThings I love it. The ageing effect is surprisingly good on a plastic figure!

Believe it or not, the idea just came to me. I didn't really think that it would work, but I tried it anyway and was quite surprised by the results. It is just one of many possibilities for the application.

• @cnk I spent a LOT on bricks I hardly use now. It's really expensive whcih is why I am making my own sets more often.
    If you're using Lego, there is a HUGE range to choose from plus there is a massive fan base so it's a good choice.
    Horror/Comedy is really interesting.  Certainly not easy to do.

@filmsensei then it's a genius idea of yours. Muchos kudos.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Damn, Tony, your best yet! 

Of course the real trick is to have George in your final party. George is good luck. 

• Fantastic!!! I like the setting of the lights and the story!

• Thanks both.

George is, unfortunately, slowly moving down the box of figures the less he is used. Plus his eyebrows have rubbed off 

• CNKCNK
    edited February 15

"I spent a LOT on bricks I hardly use now. It's really expensive whcih is why I am making my own sets more often.
    If you're using Lego, there is a HUGE range to choose from plus there is a massive fan base so it's a good choice."

I'll try to manage it, it's obviously expensive but there's a lot of blueprints online and LEGO is so readily available, everything I'll need to know is a Google search away. Since I'll just be starting out, my own expectations are just putting together something that's stop motion and improve from there. I'm not expecting to buy lego to build the set of the lego movie with their camera rigs. :p

"Horror/Comedy is really interesting.  Certainly not easy to do."

Mainly horror, I think it's easier to do horror than comedy. I was primarily making horror shorts in film school.