Could use some guidance on Installing a SSD as Root drive

2»

Comments

• @CNK I think I have almost all my old installed programs up and running now...it has been a slow process...And I have only used 84 GB of the 480 GB.  I've managed to relocate some of the User Files: Downloads/Videos/Music (One Drive, Google MyDrive, Dropbox, etc) to one of the HDDs that I store my Backup data on so that frees up space on the OS SSD that was bogging down the old OS drive.  So far, I have noticed an increase in speed with opening Hitfilm, but I haven't rendered anything as yet to see how that has improved.  However, even my Pinnacle Studio rendered out a slideshow in an appreciably faster time, so I'm sure it will be noticeably better. Thanks again for the guidance and general handholding :)

• Initially this was your call but Im happy that youre seeing an improvement already. In theory you have at the very least massively enhanced your workflow and its cool to see that you were willing to go all the way just to explore what its like to move from HDD's to SSD's.

It makes me happy to hear that you are happy from all the help youve received in this thread from the people contributing. 

I honestly think it would be worth while for FXhome to drive home the importance of a balanced system because in 9/10, a faster CPU and GPU will prove to take longer overall if you count all the time spent waiting, including for the final export - all because you may have a sub-optimal drive setup. That is, within reason of course.

• "a faster CPU and GPU will prove to take longer overall if you count all the time spent waiting, including for the final export - all because you may have a sub-optimal drive setup."

Don't overestimate necessary I/O bandwidth. Once you go SSD, even over SATA 6Gps, the bandwidth is huge relative to real world work done is real world workstation apps. Even with your sources and result/export on the same device.

• CNKCNK
    edited February 9

@NormanPCN Less so for editing but certainly a powerful thing to know when working with a lot of VFX workflows. M.2 nVME aside, SATA are still severely limited in number of queues and queue depth. The whole process -should- feel snappier to the user, it certainly did to me.

I'm not saying that you've made this statement before, I'm using it as an example: Going from 60 FPS to 144 FPS in games is night and day, it's my belief that non-optimized to optimized has given me that same wow-factor. A  balanced system, CPU, GPU, RAM, storage optimized is important enough to me that if I had to choose between a say RX 470 and RX 480 with the latter missing drive optimization, then I'd personally pick the RX 470. It's just nicer - a luxury if you will.