Star Wars scene HF PRO14

Hi,

this is my first HF PRO 14 projekt. I'm inspired by Star Wars and after reading very useful discussions in the forum and watching helpful tutorials I composited this Star Wars scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWgLwq7Pn4k

Of course there are some things that I can improve but wish I would have a better CPU(i7 5820k) and GPU (GTX1060) to do that in a shorter rendertime.

Comments

• Looks great. 

Rendering that scene in less than 1 day is a win in VFX. Imagine taking 10x as long, 10 years ago, at a much lower resolution? :D

• Like it, very nicely done. 

• @spydurhank thank you

@CNK yes, it took only about 14 hours

@Andy001 thank you, too

• Oh my, 14 hours? Dang, that is a long wait time. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

You've done a very good job of dialing in your materials and lighting, and your track is rock solid, so everything pretty much blends into the video footage as it should. The X-wing flying through the explosion is a nice touch. There's some stuff we could nitpick here and there (the biggest being that everything is moving too slow for Star Wars ships, but you're limited there by the speed of movement of your footage), but, this is quite well done.

Be proud of this. It's a fantastic first project, and, from here, you'll only get even better! 

• @Triem23 thanks yes the ships are too slow.

I have some experience with the Foundry Camera Tracker and Element 3D from After Effects CS5. The workflow is nearly the same. Now tried do that in Hitfilm. To work with the depth mask in Hitfilm is easier than with a z-depth-layer and E3D in After Effects, but I hope E3D will work in Hitfilm with the next update.

• I think it looks great.
    Just for my benefit... why can't the ships move quicker?

• @DafterThings thank you.

I did a quick test and the ships can move quicker, but then the camera movement might not match with the ships.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@DafterThings what @HobbesVFX said. He's animated to his footage, which dictates a certain speed. Especially for the X-wing flyby at the very end. He could speed the footage up to allow for faster ships, but that won't look quite right, either.

Hobbes, this shot it's not worth worrying about. Shot is done, but you learned a lot doing it, including how the speed and movement of the footage can limit VFX. Now you apply that to the NEXT shot, which will be even better! 

• CNKCNK
    edited January 25

Yes, yes I agree. It's fine to discuss, but re-doing stuff when there's already obstacles in the way is probably not as good of an idea than to learn and adapt your future shots to what you know, allowing more wiggle room in the end. :) I'm pretty bad at VFX and I don't properly understand how things are made, but I think that mindset applies to more than just that. 

• @Triem23 I agree. Next shot - next challenge.

• Nice work! My only addition to what's been said above is that the flames from the laser hit feel like they could blend better. You might consider a really slight blur (they feel too sharp), desaturate them just a touch, and perhaps play with the hue to add a little hint of a blue/green mix. All really subtle changes, but together I think they'd help the flames feel more grounded in the world.

• @CleverTagline Thank you for the great tip about the flames. I'm working on my next shot and I will try do this in the next Star Wars scene. Currently I'm working on the tracking that is more difficult than the first one.

Thank you!

• Always a pleasure to see VFX nods to Star Wars! Love it! :)