Particle Mass slider seems to do nothing

I am simulating some rubble falling from a wall, however, when I turn the bounce setting even up to just one percent, the particles slowly float into the air bouncing off my deflector. I assumed that the mass was the issue but setting the mass to even 1000 makes the particles do exactly the same and slowly float into the air. Is this a bug?

Comments

• edited January 5

The physics in the particle sim are more like 'fhysics'. If you catch my drift. I hate the point force and turbulence.

The mass parameter only seems to affect forces. I've not played with bounce much if at all.

Bounce is a parameter in and onto itself (independent of all else). Bounce seems to be something like an energy input at the deflector boundary. More bounce % => more energy/velocity. Sadly, particle velocity/energy at impact does not seem to matter. Every bounce % is the same. Getting a decaying bounce height in not really doable. 

So bounce if a force, of sorts, not affected by mass.  It don't think it should be affected by mass. I think bounce would be better as a concept of elasticity (to use a simple word). 0% being particle would not change direction. Effectively sticking to the deflector. 100% being no loss of energy. So you have simple kinematic angles for particle direction change. Velocity of bounce depending on velocity of impact.

•  Wow that seems needlessly complicated? I ended up getting it working by playing with the time scale in the end, shame it's so much trial and error.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Hitfilm's MASS setting reduces the effect of forces on particles. More mass=less effect from forces. 

To adjust your bounce adjust the friction and the force for gravity. Friction will reduce the velocity transfer from the bounce, and gravity, of course, pulls your rubble down.

• @Triem23 Thanks for the explaination

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@NormanPCN should have tagged you in the prior post. Hitfilm's particle physics are actually pretty tunable, but, some of the parameter names are a bit funky and a couple of the interactions are a little strange. 

But, yeah, friction is needed for a decaying bounce. 

• @Triem23 Ahh, the friction param. Okay. Thanks.

I still say the attraction force is whack. Constant force at a distance is not logical, and certainly nothing like our universe.