Graphic Card gpu

Hello guys,

I want to upgrade my computer. I'm considering to buy a Graphic Card. I often edit in Hitfilm Express and sometimes I want to see my video without rendering it. When I do that it's very shaky. Can I fix this problem with a Graphic card? And what's the best one under 100 euro or under $110? This is a list of graphic cards that I can plugin to my computer. Thank you in advance!

---------------------------------------------
R5230-SL-2GD3-L

R7240-O4GD5-L

RX550-4G

ROG-STRIX-RX560-O4G-GAMING

ROG-STRIX-RX570-O4G-GAMING

ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING

MINING-RX470-4G-LED

ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA56-O8G-GAMING

ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING

RX 570 4G X-Serial

RX VEGA56 8GB HBM2

R7 240 BIANXINGJINGANG 1G 

NITRO RADEON RX 580 8G GDDR5

RADEON RX VEGA 8G HBM2

RADEON RX 560 2GB D5 1295M

GT710-SL-2GD3-DI

GT730-SL-2G-BRK-V2

PH-GT1030-O2GD4

PH-GTX1050TI-4G EX-GTX1050TI-O4G-DIS 

STRIX-GTX1050-2G-GAMING-2DIS//R1.01(CG210PI/HYN) 

STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING-D2I2S

MINING-P106-6G

STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING

CERBERUS-GTX1070TI-A8G

STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING

GEFORCE GTX 1080TI 

ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMIN

iGame1050Ti U-4GD5

iGame1060-6GD5 TOP

iGameGTX1070Ti Vulcan AD

iGame1070 U-8GD5 TOP 

iGame1080 U-8GD5X TOP

GTX 1060 3G SC ACX 2.0

GF GT1030 PCI-E 2GB GDDR5 W/HDMI/DVI-D

GEFORCE GTX1050 Ti PCI-E 4GB 6DDR5 128BIT 

GEFORCE GTX1060 PCI-E 6GB 6DDR5 192BIT

GEFORCE GTX 1050 GAMING X 2G  

GTX1060 GAMING X 6G
GEFORCE GTX 1070 

GEFORCE GTX 1080

TITAN Xp

---------------------------------------------

GPU

CPU

Comments

• @EzraEdit

The benefit of a new GPU will largely depend on the rest of your computer's specs...

What is your OS, CPU, RAM, current GPU? Do you use a mechanical HDD and/or SSD?

Once we know that, then we can help you narrow things down.

• My OS: Windows 10

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5499 CPU @3.70Ghz

Ram: 16 GB

GPU: Integrated GPU - Intel(R) UHD Graphics 610

I use a SSD.

Thanks for your reply! I need to look into it more and do some research in order to be able to ask more targeted questions. And decide on the right budget.

• @EzraEdit

So... Here's the deal. Your CPU is technically under-spec to run HitFilm. HitFilm requires a Core series processor, however your Pentium is a tier below that. The reason you are able to run at all is because it's a relatively powerful chip (for being a Pentium) and Pentium Golds are Core based, rather than the other versions which are Atom based (extreme low-end).

Why does this matter? HitFilm does a majority of its work on the CPU... So it needs that higher end CPU with all the features and optimizations to get smooth, fast, reliable performance. If you looked at your Task Manager during a HitFilm project, you'd probably see that your CPU is maxing out regularly while the rest of the system is staying pretty cool. 

As much as it sucks to upgrade a CPU (especially if you need to upgrade your motherboard), that is the first recommendation I have before getting a new GPU or any other upgrade.

As far as making your current setup work, if you're working in 4K, don't. Use 1080p or even 720p. Also, make sure to transcode your media to an optimized format.

Unfortunately, video editing is something that requires a lot of power to get working well. Luckily, you no longer need $10000+ systems to do that, but you still can't run it on just any computer. Thankfully HitFilm Express is here to meet us halfway... The amount of power in Express continues to amaze me. Especially when it's given away for free. As long as your system has the guts to run it!

• Thanks @triforcefx for the information! I’m going to look into the CPU.

• edited November 19

When I was  using HFExp2017, I had no problems viewing and editing videos with a Pentium N3710 (4GB ram, integrated GPU). I was able to edit 1080p video too. Your ram and cpu are much better than mine. It may be that HFExp2017 requires lower specs than HFEx13.

EDIT: Actually your pentium is a dual-core with hyperthreading. Mine is a quad core, so it may be better, even though it was released 2 years before yours.

• @triforcefx

I’ve been looking for some cpu’s and I saw the intel core i5-9600KF Boxed. Do you think that’s a good one?If you have a better cpu under €250, I’d like to hear.

• i5 is old news.  i9 is where its at.  Next best thing is a "deal" on i7.  When purchasing hardware, stretch for the most current version.  i5 is a few generations back.

• "i5 is a few generations back."

Disagree. i5 is just a lower end CPU within a generation. Less cores (and /or threads), typically smaller cache, maybe less execution units,  and often lower clock rates. So an i5 9000 series (9th gen) is the same generation as a i9 9000 series.

In this case a 9600KF is 6C/6T, 3.7+Ghz.

• @EzraEdit I'm going to make an assumption that you don't have a huge amount of knowledge on computer and their components. If you're looking to spend under £250 on a CPU then you will need to consider that you almost definitely will need to also buy a new motherboard, as I highly doubt an old motherboard will support the same chipset as a 9th gen i5. This would also probably mean you need new RAM too. All of this can add up quite quickly, especially if you intend to also upgrade to a non-integrated GPU (which I do heavily recommend).

As Norman stated, the intel CPU's are typically split into i3, i5, i7 and now i9 for each generation, so you can expect the i5-9600 to be roughly low/mid performance compared to the rest of its generation, which just so happens to be the most recent generation.

• edited November 19

@EzraEdit Interestingly, the current CPU you mention having is either quite rare or doesn’t exist, as  Googling it only brings back this exact forum thread. Is it possible you entered a wrong number when typing it in? Giving us the correct model number would help us significantly.

Some modern, higher level Pentiums (like the Golds) use the same socket as the Core processors, so depending on your actual CPU, your current motherboard may be compatible with some decent Core processors of that generation, though you have to be careful because as @TheBenNorris mentioned, they are not always compatible with other generations. 9th gen processors featured a revision to the socket that makes them incompatible with anything older or newer. However if your motherboard is compatible with 7th or 8th generation Core processors, then you might be able to get an older i7 or i9 for a decent price. If it’s older than that, you’ll want to do a full upgrade, but that can get expensive... though if you’re gonna need to change out your motherboard anyway, I HIGHLY recommend looking at Ryzen.

• @triforcefx

Sorry I made a mistake, I meant the Intel Pentium Gold G5400. I hope you can find it now.

• @EzraEdit

It does look like the i5 9600KF is compatible with the socket your Pentium is using, however something to note is that it doesn't appear that the i5 has any onboard graphics, so you'd need a GPU as well- otherwise, you either wouldn't be able to see anything, or the video would run on a CPU that's not built to handle graphics- not a good idea

• @triforcefx ; I was under the impression that the motherboard had the onboard graphics not to the cpu...although I suppose in the end the cpu would be involved?  Did I get this wrong all this time?

• edited November 18

The Gold 5400 is technically not a core i3/5/7/9 but it is still functionally really close. Almost a core CPU different name. It is based on the Coffee Lake CPU architecture which is current. The one big missing thing is does not support AVX/AVX2 instructions. Only SSE up to 4.2. The 5400 is a 2 core, 4 thread CPU (2C/4T).

The 9600KF is the same socket, 1151, but make sure the motherboard/bios says it supports the CPU.

• @tddavis I believe it used to be separate from the CPU, but integrated graphics are now part of the CPU.

• I never knew this had changed.  Thanks for the education.

• edited November 23

Sorry I didn't respond for so long. I'm going to do some more research.