Can I edit GoPro Fusion 360 files in Hitfilm?

Can I edit GoPro Fusion 360° files in Hitfilm? Adobe Premiere apparently has a couple of add-ins that allow this, but I no longer have access to that programme. 

Comments

• @ginestre

You should be able to, but I believe 360° video is a Pro feature, requiring HitFilm Pro or the 360° pack for Express. If you want to try it out, there’s a demo for Pro, or you can also try it out in Express for free with a watermark on export.

• edited October 20

Thanks for the reply. I have Hitfilm pro 2017, but when I try to import the gopro files I get a File Error - 'Invalid media, the media could not be imported'. The files however are visible in the gopro fusion software, and in imovie. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

The GoPro is shooting h.265, Hitfilm doesn't read. You'll have to convert your footage to h.264 (or ProRes/Cineform) before import into Hitfilm. 

While the GoPro files are "mp4" files, the file "type" (extension) is a CONTAINER, while the compression used for the actual video is a CODEC. A container can hold different codecs. In this case, the industry decided to be stupid and allow h.265 into an "mp4" file - because h.265 isn't "mp4."

This video goes into more detail on codecs/containers, discusses why some codecs are better for editing, and several methods to do the conversion. 

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

• Thanks for this exhaustive and illuminating reply!

Richard