Audio Cutting Off at Before End of Export

I need help with an infuriating problem.

I have a approximately 60 minute video I'm exporting in Hitfilm express. Every time the last half second of sound is cut off at the end of the clip, always at the same point, for no obvious reason.

The clip is music. The last half note is getting cut off part way. Naturally, it sounds terrible.

The endpoint of the video is set correctly well past the end of the contents and video continues to record past the point at which the sounds cuts out, every time. It's just the end of the sound cutting off.

Most frustrating, if I just export the last minute everything comes out fine. It only does this when I export the full 60 minutes.

As a workaround, I tried to put the sound file into a composite short so the video and audio were linked, instead of having two separate files in the editor. I got eh same result. The sound cut out at exactly the same place, while the video continued to play to the end (another few seconds).

Any ideas what's going on? Is this a bug? Is there any workaround to make this stop happening? Something seems legit broken.

Comments

• edited October 2019

I’ve been having the same problem. I’ve tried a couple things: changing the anti-aliasing setting, lowering the bitrate of the export... none of it works. Exporting just the end of the video shows that HitFilm CAN export that part without issues, but whenever I go back to the full video, it doesn’t work. The ending is a composited clip of text and graphics with music. Anyone know how to solve this?

• What format and codec are the videos you are importing? What camera were they recorded with? This sounds suspiciously like a variable frame rate issue to me, is there any chance the files are screen recordings, or filmed using a phone camera?

• DibsMcCallumDibsMcCallum Staff
    edited November 2019

@FrankDiStefano and @Winlee620 are you still experiencing problems, do you require any further assistance?  

If  we do not hear from you within 2 weeks then we will assume you have found the help you needed & this thread will be closed.

• edited November 2019

Hi @DibsMcCallum,

The problem seems to not exist in short video exports, but only in long videos. I did a test export on a 22 minute video and the audio is still cut off at the last second or so. On test exports on shorter videos though, nothing goes wrong. The workaround I have so far is to add around 2 seconds of silent black at the end of my video so nothing gets cut off. I used H.264 MP4 footage recorded on OBS and a capture card when making the video with problems. Any way I can fix this?

• @Winlee620 if the source videos are screen recordings, then the issue is almost certainly caused by variable framerate in the source files. The result is that when the frames are aligned to the constant frame rate required by HitFilm, the length of the video shifts slightly, in relation to the expected length of the audio.

If this is the cause, then converting the video to a constant frame rate before you import it will eliminate the problem.

• @Winlee620 ; If you could load the longer OBS Media into Mediainfo and paste the results from the tree view into here, we will be able to give you some feedback and help further if needed.

• General
    Complete name                            : C:\Users\winle\My Stuff\Video Editing\My Videos\5-10-2019 T7\5-10-2019 T7 VC.mp4
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media
    Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size                                : 3.80 GiB
    Duration                                 : 29 min 16 s
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 18.6 Mb/s
    Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4.2
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames        : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=119
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 18.2 Mb/s
    Maximum bit rate                         : 36.5 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.147
    Stream size                              : 3.73 GiB (98%)
    Color range                              : Limited
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.470 System B/G
    Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : AAC LC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 320 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel layout                           : L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Stream size                              : 67.0 MiB (2%)
    Title                                    : Track1
    Default                                  : Yes
    Alternate group                          : 1
    @DibsMcCallum here is the mediainfo results for the OBS media. Apparently it is in constant frame rate, according to MediaInfo. Anything that indicates a problem here?