For Hitfilm Pro 13.... what do you think of this machine?

Was planning on assembling from parts (once again).  But I just found this machine pre-built by a company called Adamant Custom on Newegg: 

Adamant Custom Liquid Cooled Video Editing Rendering Workstation Computer Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6Ghz 64Gb DDR4 RAM 4TB HDD 1TB NVMe SSD 750W PSU Wi-Fi Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti 11Gb             

• CPU 8-Core Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz
  • 120mm Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
  • RAM 64GB DDR4 RAM || MB GIGABYTE Z390 UD Series
  • 4TB HDD || M.2 SSD 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Series
  • GPU nVidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB || PSU Thermaltake Smart 750W
  • 24X Asus DVD+/-RW // Wireless-N PCI-x Adapter
  • OS Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Motherboard is not specified in the listing... so I have to check that from them.  And I might add another SSD as a video data drive with the OS on the first SSD. 

It is very close to what I was specing myself.  The main differences are that I wanted two SSDs and also a 1000 W power supply.  But maybe this unit pre-built saves me a lot of time doing the building and setting up that I can then devote to editing.  Thoughts anyone?   Anyone have experience with the specific company?

best,

..........john

Comments

• edited August 1

The 9900k I would replace with a 3900x as it is a far better value and performs massively better than the 9900k. However, due to its shortage, I can't say buy it as it is not available in many places. Instead, I would fully recommend you go with a 3700x as it will save you a ton of $$$ and perform the same if not better in some rendering situations. The RTX 2080ti is a bit overpowered for this work I assume. (my system has an r5 1600x GTX1070). Take my opinion as someone who doesn't have access to that kind of hardware but views performance and value numbers from other peoples perspective. The 9900k at this time is really just an "I get 5% higher framerate than you in video games and I paid 200$ more" rather than a good CPU for anything other than that. Don't get me wrong, it is a powerful processor. But so is the 3700x and the 3700x is far cheaper and has the latest technology in terms of PCI-E connectivity (which will be used for large file reading and transfer with NVME PCIE4 SSD's).  EDIT: Also the amount of RAM you are buying is way too much for hitfilm alone. I dont know what you plan on running on top of HF but me using 32Gb of RAM has not failed me yet. I can see you using the full 64Gb only if you are caching some large video file in Syntheyes for processing but hitfilm will not use that much memory and give you a performance benefit. Correct me if I am wrong, I have hitfilm set to the high RAM preset which is around 12GB if I remember. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Erosion139 gives general good advice. I have a few comments.

Threadripper vs i9: Hitfilm doesn't (yet) take full advantage of massive multicore. In other words Hitfilm isn't taking full advantage of a threadripper. The higher per-core speed of the i9 might make it better for Hitfilm. What else do you use besides Hitfilm?

The 2080 is overpriced for the power increase over the 2070. Don't forget the new "Super" line. The 2070 SUPER is (Nvidia claims) as fast as a 2080 at the price of the 2070. I don't think those are out yet, but, if you wait a month, the prices on Nvidia cards are about to change.

RAM. I disagree. More is usually better. It depends on what one is doing, but it's not unreasonable to assume one would often have multiple programs open. Maybe you're working on a still image in Affinity or tracking something outside of Hitfilm. Heck, Mocha and Boris are, technically, external programs that pipe to Hitfilm. Maybe you're a Vegas editor using integration to work in Vegas while adjusting things in Hitfilm at the same time. If nothing else, more RAM gives a longer RAM PREVIEW. At 4k resolutions when uncompressed data is eating up a gigabyte every few seconds, the extra RAM may be wanted.

What's the price on that pre-build? No matter what that's a powerful machine, but... Is it priced well? I've been looking at multiple custom configuration sites putting together what I'll want for my next machine, but, depending on the company there's over a thousand dollars difference in pricing on machines with the same power - the difference is the gaming configurators all have stupid transparent cases with everything having stupid lights on them while the video configurators have opaque cases and gear without lights. If you think lights are cool, enjoy. For money it's not worth the extra money - because all the stupid lights add up to literal hundreds of dollars - oh, and needing a larger power supply, which costs money... You might be able to go to a configurator site, dial in exactly what you want, have them build it, and still get a good price. 

• edited August 1

@Triem23 Note that the 3900x and 3700x are not threadripper parts. They are consumer Ryzen parts. The 3900x in this case is a 500$ 12 core 24 thread CPU that will crush the i9 in all rendering loads that take advantage of it. You get more value and way more performance for the $$$. The 3700x does so too when you consider price as well as upgradeability. Expect to be able to upgrade to the 4000 Ryzen parts when they come out. The Ryzen path is just better if you plan on staying up to date on hardware. (Changing motherboards every generation smh). Edit: The single-core speed of the 9900k and 3700x are neck and neck now. The max boost of a 3700x is somewhere around 4.3Ghz and with the new archetecture, they are much more powerful.

• I'm currently waiting for the 3900x to get in-stock still. It's been sold out everywhere, its a high demand part. But never buy it for more than 500$, you are being scammed. :(

@Erosion I stand corrected. Thanks. I've always been more of an Nvidia/Intel guy so I don't have all the AMD part nubers in memory, although, for the machine I'm getting ready to put together I am looking at AMD for the CPU. Think I got thrown off cuz the 3900x is a 12-core, 24-thread chip and the low-end Threadrippers are also 12-core, 24-thread chips. And the 3900x will outperform several of the threadrippers...

JBaymore FWIW I'm looking at configuring a new machine myself. I've also looked at the i9-9900K, but think I'm more likely to try for a Ryzen 3900x, myself.

For GPU, well I'm waiting for the 2070 SUPER to release, but I did decide on an Nvidia 2070 series over the 2080's. The power/price ratio is a lot better on the 2070.

I am going with 64GB of RAM, but I do often have multiple programs open at once. It's not uncommon for me to have Hitfilm, Vegas, Affinity Photo/Imerge, and OneOne PhotoRaw all running at once.

I am putting in multiple SSDs (1x1TB) with a 6 or 8 TB HDD as a "Library" drive (Storing stock media locally to copy to an active project folder when used).

For this spec machine I'm seeing prices between $2700 and $4700 depending on which site I configure on. Some of the price variation is because of the different makers having slightly different prices, but a LOT of it comes down to buying a Mobo, Fan and/or GPU (and other parts) with or without stupid lights. I know, I keep saying "Stupid lights," but it's literally a $500 difference between the mobo/fan/gpu having stupid lights or not. that $500 buys two of my four SSDs, so... 2TB of SSD storage or lights? I'll take the storage, because the lights are stupid! Or I'm a cheap guy who would rather get more power for my dollar than have a machine that only I and my wife will ever see lighting up like TRON. :)

• edited August 1

"Edit: The single-core speed of the 9900k and 3700x are neck and neck now. "

Disagree. Single and/or all core.

@NormanPCN @Erosion139 ok, benchmarks ain't everything, we all know that. Yet, here I go to benchmarks. 

FWIW, since many things can affect speed, for benchmark comparisons I use Userbenchmark.com. They crowdsource the benchmarks instead of having a single test machine. This could skew more innacurate because of system variations, or skew more "real world" accurate from the larger dataset.

Either way, the i9-9900k does outbench the 3700x, but the difference is small enough where the 3700x is a better power/price ratio. In contrast the 3900x is way over priced! I hadn't even looked at the 3700x before, but it just took the 3900x off my shortlist.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X/4028vs4043

• edited August 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  As always....... varying opinions on stuff is a bit evident.  Makes it kinda' tough to make a 'big purchase decision' when what seems to be credible arguments are made that point in two different directions.  And when there is a sea of potential data to consider and things are not totally "black and white" as to precisely what affects the performance of a particular software package.

I'm a long term Intel guy... so not really wanting to go over to AMD for the CPU at this point.  Old dog, new tricks and all that.  Might be a mistake here... but...........

@Triem23 "I've been looking at multiple custom configuration sites putting together what I'll want for my next machine, but, depending on the company there's over a thousand dollars difference in pricing on machines with the same power - the difference is the gaming configurators all have stupid transparent cases with everything having stupid lights on them while the video configurators have opaque cases and gear without lights."

So, can you name a couple of those custom configuration companies either here 'in the open' or via a PM/email?   I like to know a bit about companies I might spend this kind of cash with... so if you have experience with one... I'd love to know.

And, like you, I'm not looking for "lights".  If they are there because that are there... fine.  Not deliberately wanting them.  The machine above is pretty "plain vanilla" as far as that stuff goes.  The company lists it as set up for video editing ... not gaming.

As to the machine mentioned above it is a little below $4 grand as it sits in the original listing and with a 1000 W power supply and adding another 1TB SSD..... a tad over $4 Grand.  Yeah...... a lot of money.  My own parts list for a build was sitting at about $4 grand five already... and I had to put it together.  But the component BRANDS on my list were all things I had confidence in / experience with in the past.  I don't know the brand components this company is using (yet).  I've been told the 1000W power supply 'upgrade' from them I mentioned above is a Thermaltake.   Still working on more answers.

best,

..........john

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

My $0.02.  Stick with Intel and Nvidia.  The more RAM the better - for multiple programs open (as Mike stated).

Make sure your PSU can handle the load and then some.  You may upgrade the CPU/GPU someday, good to have the extra power.

https://pcpartpicker.com/ is a good place to start and do a virtual build.  Once you have that lined out watch for price drops on your components and buy one at a time if you're not in a hurry.

Next time I'm on my PC I'll pull the bookmarks. 

• Many overestimate power needs. A 2080 Ti GPU will be about 250W. Other GPUs less. CPU power can vary greatly depending on core count and clock rate. A 9900K is around 180W and it is a toasty CPU. A 3900x is more cores, less clock, but it is more power efficient with the smaller process. Threadripper and Intel HEDT LGA 2066 can change the CPU power calculation.

Everything else the PC system is chump change by comparison to the CPU+GPU. A lot of spindle 3.5 HDD can add some power needs. For a single GPU system 750 should be fine with CPUs mentioned this thread. 

FWIW I have a 750W Platinum Seasonic in my new/current machine. I went platinum for the efficiency. I was thinking of a 650W but a future GPU might be in the 250W class, so what the heck I went 750 even though 650 would realistically still be enough. I had been running on a 650 for years. One thing to note about the bronze/gold/platinum efficiency is that those efficiency numbers only apply to the middle of the power delivery range. Something to think about.

• @Triem23 ; "The 2080 is overpriced for the power increase over the 2070. Don't forget the new "Super" line. The 2070 SUPER is (Nvidia claims) as fast as a 2080 at the price of the 2070. I don't think those are out yet, but, if you wait a month, the prices on Nvidia cards are about to change."

I just looked at changing the layout of this machine on Adamant's own custom-build site, to using the 2070 SUPER, and it is amazing what that alone does to the overall price!  They already list that NVIDEA card as an option.......so maybe they have them already.  Or maybe they'll tell me I'll have to wait to get the machine.

@NormanPCN ; Based upon your comments above I also dropped the power supply I was thinking about down on Wattage a bit to a Thermaltake Toughpower 850 80 Plus Gold. 

Also, am now possibly looking an Intel i9-9900X Skylake X processor at 3.5G clock versus the original i9-9900k at 3.6G.  Thoughts on that?

best,

...............john

• So the tech guy at Adamant is sort of wanting to be "steering" me toward what they say is the newer/better i9-9900x SkylakeX  10 core 3.5 Gig CPU chip rather than the i9-9900k Coffee Lake 10 core 3.6 Gig CPU. 

Obviously...... they make more money with the higher priced processor.... but maybe there is some other reason?

About the same general other specs for the machine however, with simply a different MOBO (GIGABYTE Z390 versus a Asus Prime X299-A ) that works with the Coffee Lake rather than the Skylake CPU, drops the total price by about $650 bucks to about $3350.

Decisions, decisions.

best,

...............john

• "am now possibly looking an Intel i9-9900X Skylake X processor at 3.5G clock versus the original i9-9900k at 3.6G.  Thoughts on that?"

" i9-9900x SkylakeX  10 core 3.5 Gig CPU chip rather than the i9-9900k Coffee Lake 10 core 3.6 Gig CPU"

To me, if you have an app use for a lot of simultaneous threads, the 3900x looks really good. Heck all the Ryzen 3000's look good. In Ryzen 3000, AMD has got the instruction per clock efficiency up to Intel levels (this includes a 2x AVX increase) and the smaller processes is more power efficient thus allowing for better clock rates with all those cores. Again, you should have a real use for all those cores.

The 9900k is 8-core.

--

The heavy lifting with respect to effects and compositing in video edit is done on the GPU these days. CPU is important for decode. So enough cores are necessary. Beyond that is a waste. The trick is what is enough. This is absolute cores and how well the app can utilize the hardware. the latter being the historic HF achilles heal. Photo edit apps like On1 do the heavy lifting on the GPU. Photo apps like Affinity use the CPU.

Even with the effects heavy lifting on the GPU, the CPU still needs to tell the GPU what/how to do. This is often single, or minimal, threaded. Driver thread utilization is an achilles heal of the OpenGL pipeline (so they say). So fast cores can be a help here. If an app is not so efficient with threads then fast cores are a help.

With threads, just adding threads is never a solution. The algorithm/task needs to be efficiently amenable to independent parallel compute. Synchronization is often the bane of thread/core scaling. Much of Image processing just happens to be one of those agreeable parallel tasks. Kinda why GPUs are, have become, massive parallel compute engines.

My new/current machine is a 9900k, 32GB 3200 CL16 RAM, 2TB TLC NVme SSD, same old GTX 1080. *I* wanted brute speed. 8-cores is more than enough. That is ME and ME alone. More cores need to be throttled due to increased power consumption and thus extra cooling. Usually higher cores lead to lower clockrate. Intel's design and process can really make brute speed. I like my machine quiet. The later an interesting conundrum given the toasty 9900k, and yes it is a struggle. BTW Cooler is a Noctua NH-U12A (A not S). High clocks really jump up the power/heat. Nowhere near linear. From 4.5 to 5G is astounding WRT power/heat.

I do think that 8-core is probably good for video decode with 4K (30p test). Only a quickie test but HF13 seems better at CPU utilization with 4K Cineform. HF is still a mophead for Resolve, but it looks much better. I can feel the new CPU speed in the Hitfilm particle simulator, in certain aspects where its work is independent of the GPU.

• I say the 3900x is not overpriced. Do not take the 700$ prices because they are inflated due to the shortage. AMD released the 3900x at 500$ flat. Therefore by comparing the 9900k (480$ ish) to the 3900x (500$) there is no competition other than intels slight IPC advantage. I, however, consider 8 more threads to be much more important than 10% max ipc gain. Also being that I bought my 1600x only 2 years ago I can upgrade and keep my motherboard. I guess that last point was really a fanboy answer. But looking at intel and the limited near single generation support on those very expensive motherboards just makes me feel bad for those who invested in them. 

• As for the original thread topic. I think the 9900k will serve you well. I dont really think the 9900x will be so much better than the 9900k? Maybe worse because single core boost is slower I assume. Im really basing that off what I think the price of that X part might be. If the 3900x was in stock and therefore at its original 500$ price, I would go with it because its such a steal for that calibre 12 core part. As well as the added benefits of future platform support (however we are approaching the end of AM4) PCIE4 etc. That being said. Both would give you a great experience and definitely report back how it goes :)

• edited August 3

OK... this is the "final" layout I'm looking at.  Decided to "bite the bullet" on the 2080 Ti (you only live once...and I'm not young  ;-)  ). 

Intel 9th Gen. Video Editing Custom PC System

Computer Case: Thermaltake Core V71 Full-Tower ATX Case
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390 Series Intel Z390/ DDR4/ CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/ ATX
    Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake Processor 3.6GHz 8.0GT/s 16MB LGA 1151 CPU
    CPU Cooling Fan: 240mm Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
    Memory: 64GB DDR4-2400/2666 PC4-19200/21300 4X16GB
    M.2 SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 Solid State Drive
    SSD Drive: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO Solid State Drive
    Hard Drive: 4TB Storage Drive SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 128MB
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 HDMI/3x DisplayPort/USB Type-C PCI-Express
    Blue-Ray DVD Drive: 12X Asus SATA Blu-ray Internal Writer Drive
    DVD Recorder: 24X DVDRW Asus SATA
    Sound Card: High Definition Audio with High Quality Audio Capacitors (onboard)
    Network Card: 100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
    Wireless Card: 300Mbps Wireless N PCI-x Adapter
    Card Reader: All – In – 1 Internal Card Reader / Writer
    Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Desktop MK710 Keyboard and Mouse
    Operating System: MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Warranty: Assembled and tested, 3 years parts and 3 Year labor warranty

Gonna' likely "pull the plug" on this above unit tomorrow.  My last custom build I did.... which was pretty "cutting edge" at the time... was in 2010.  About exactly half the price.  This is just shy of $4 Grand.  This old one has served me well over almost 10 years.  Hopefully this new one will also.

Any last thoughts for me?   One question:  Should I pop about $75 bucks more for the Thermaltake 1000 W GOLD power supply?

Note... that V71 case has a lot of cooling....which is why I went with it. 
    best,
    ......................john
  • That would be a powerhouse, I think you may not need all of that though for example, Unless you have a lot of programs open you probs won't need a 64 gigram , I had Hitfilm, and photoshop and YouTube running smooth at the same time and I am running 32 gig, could save you some extra money not going to 64?

Tb for a m.2 will you need that also? So you have 1TB of programs on your system lol this is mainly for the boot drive for your programs for your pc maybe a 500 evo plus would be better? I would weigh the pros and cons of everything really. Then again like you said you only live once lol Hope this was helpful?

I Got my build at PC Specialist might be worth having a look, they were great and give you open honest options on builds and advice and help save me some money also :)

Gareth

Dunno your usage requirements, but, unless you're still burning a lot of DVDs/Blu-Rays I'd drop the DVD burner. I'd consider it redundant, since the Blu-Ray can read/write DVDs. 

That's $30 down! 

But, that's a powerful build and close to what I'm building. 

I haven't been on my PC in a few days, so I need to get on tonight and pull my configuration site bookmarks. I think your configuration is pretty solid, but I also think if you try a nearly identical build on a couple of sites you might get your price down a bit. I only say this cuz that's what I've been doing, and, as mentioned in a prior post, I found a wide range in price from different vendors. 

To weigh in on a couple more points. 

Assuming the m2 drive is OS AND Programs I'd go ahead and say stay at 1GB... If that drive is also going to hold your caches and pre-renders. Pre-renders can get huge, and, honestly, SSDs are finally inexpensive enough where I'd rather have a little more space than I'd use than a little less. My current machine has 2x256GB m2 SSDs. One for OS/cache the other for Programs/cache/proxies, and both drives currently only have about 20 GB free, so I'm wishing one of those was a 512GB. Since nobody makes "3/4 TB" drives, go for the full terabyte. 

Same for RAM. Again, it's cheap enough these days. Especially as video is pushing geometric increases in data. 

• @GarethOwen ;  Thanks for the feedback.  FYI.......   I just looked at PC Specialist.  As close as the same build there as I can came up with the almost exact same price..... within a couple of US Dollars.  And I didn't fully explore a lot... but looks like they maybe don't ship to the US.  But the price being very close is an interesting fact.

best,

...................john

• No worries @Jbaymore I think its all about weighing what you need and what you want mainly and seeing id you can get the best for your price your willing to pay and get :)

• edited August 4

So... I'm looking at other custom PC builders via searches on Google and from a "best of" list there this morning.  So far the Adamant price is totally competitive or is cheaper than the other 5 or 6 I've looked at so far.  (EDIT: Example CyberPower PC.... over $500 more.  But I get some "lights!)  Only have found one cheaper so far ($300) ........ and it is not that much cheaper and is slightly different components that I'd question.  I've found a few that don't seem to even offer the i9- 9900k Coffee Lake.  They seem to often jump availability from an I7 ..... to the Intel X series.

Working on my "due diligence" here.

best,

....................john

• @Triem23 ;   DOH!   Thanks for that reminder on the Blueray being able to also write DVD format.   The DVD burner is a "default" item that is automatically there on that site.  That $30 can go toward the 1000 W Gold power supply  ;-)  . 

And yes... more fast  SSD and RAM is worth the small price increases.  As the tears go by..... history says developers will always use more RAM and write more bulky code in programs.  (Remember Bill Gates and the 640 K comment?)

best,

.................john

• Thanks for the input folks.  It was a help, for sure.

OK... the final configuration is arrived at........ and am buying this new unit (listed below) today. Adamant builds and then ships in 72 hours, and the shipping is included in the price.   Will let everyone know how it handles Hitfilm Pro 13 (and then up) as things develop. 

Intel 9th Gen. Video Editing Custom PC System

Computer Case: Thermaltake Core V71 Full-Tower ATX Case
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390 Series Intel Z390/ DDR4/ CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/ ATX
    Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake Processor 3.6GHz 8.0GT/s 16MB LGA 1151 CPU
    CPU Cooling Fan: 240mm Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
    Memory: 64GB DDR4-2400/2666 PC4-19200/21300 4X16GB
    M.2 SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 Solid State Drive
    SSD Drive: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO Solid State Drive
    Hard Drive: 4TB Storage Drive SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 128MB
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 HDMI/3x DisplayPort/USB Type-C PCI-Express
    Blue-Ray DVD Drive: 16X LG Electronics SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter
    Sound Card: High Definition Audio with High Quality Audio Capacitors (onboard)
    Network Card: 100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
    Wireless Card: 300Mbps Wireless N PCI-x Adapter
    Card Reader: All – In – 1 Internal Card Reader / Writer
    Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Desktop MK710 Keyboard and Mouse
    Operating System: MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Warranty: Assembled and tested, 3 years parts and 3 Year labor warranty

"It's only money".

best,
    ...................john
  • Ordered!

It's a beast. Sorry, a gig came up yesterday and I didn't get to my PC, but Adamant is one of remaining three vendors I'll price from when I commit, so they weren't on the overly exorbitant end of things. The difference between the price you listed and the low end of what I'm configuring seems about right - my configuration was about $2900, you said closer to $4k, but the $600-700 price difference between a 2070 and the 11GB 2080 accounts for almost all of that. Otherwise, we probably have different mobos or power amps or other minor differences in hardware I'm not going to check.

Again, it's a beast. You'll have to tell us how it runs! 

• @Triem23 ;  Not a problem.  I just started looking at custom build PC firms... and looked at a lot 8 to 10.  I am SURE that there are some I missed.  Build came in at exactly $3937.34........ and note that was a RTX 2080Ti that I sprung for.  And I did add in the 1000 Watt "gold" power supply.  Went with a different Blueray burner than the one I originally was looking at.  That price includes shipping, and a 3 year parts and 3 year labor warranty too.

They said they will ship the video card in a separate box, and will coach me thru installing, and also send an install video.  Not that I've not built PCs myself... but that is a nice detail.  They said they don't trust the shipping to not wiggle the heavy video card around in transit.

Looking forward to  finally installing HF Pro 13.

best,

....................john

• edited August 9

"The Beast" arrived first thing this morning via UPS.  VERY fast custom build and VERY fast shipping and VERY well packed.  Hoping this is setting a "trend line" for this new machine.

And boy.... are there FANS on that V71 case.

Still unpacking and setting things up.

When all is set up I will "benchmark" an identical project or two from my old machine running Pro 11 to the new machine running Pro 13 to give folks an idea of what a lot of money on new hardware and upgrading to version Pro 13 will "buy" them.

best,

..........................john

• You can't benchmark the old machine with V11 and the new with V13. You cannot separate software performance differences from hardware.

If you can't/won't install 13 on the old machine then install 11 on the new machine first to run your test project(s). Then just update the new machine to 13. 

• edited August 9

@NormanPCN ; That is why I put "benchmark" in quotes in that sentence.  It is not a true benchmark.  As I said, ".......to give folks an idea of what a lot of money on new hardware and upgrading to version Pro 13 will "buy" them."

But I like your idea of putting 11 on there first.  While that is an extra pain-in-the-butt........ I might just do that.

Here's the inside:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/nemds0smhpbja2g/NewComputerSummer2019.jpg?dl=0

best,

..........................john