D-log OR D-cinelike ?

Which one is better ?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Doesn't matter. Both do almost exactly the same thing, and both are questionable on a DJI Camera.

D-Log and D-Cinelike both do the same thing - roll off highlights and shadows and push the dynamic range of the image towards the center, giving you a flat, low contrast image. Both absolutely require you to color correct in post to not have a terrible image. The differences between D-Log and D-Cinelike are negligible, and come down to personal preference. Neither is "Better."

The real problem is that the DJI gear is recording 8-bit 4:2:0 footage. What this basically means is you have only 256 levels per color channel. The D-Log AND D-Cinelike are going to try to cram your footage into the range of about 96-176 and you'll be required to re-expand the dynamic range to get back to 0-255. Problem is, with only 256 gray levels you run the risk of banding, since D-Log and D-Cinelike are both throwing away half to dynamic range.

D-Log and similar profiles are really intended for 10-bit or higher footage, not 8-bit.

• @Triem23 "The D-Log AND D-Cinelike are going to try to cram your footage into the range of about 96-176..."

??? Where does 96-176 come from.

@NormanPCN observation of Scopes. I loaded up some log footage I have. Most of the dynamic range got crammed into about 40-80 IRE. Might have goofed on my 256 to 100 conversion (especially as 100 IRE is 225 in RGB), but I'm not certain if Varadlad is on Pro or Express  so I wanted close RGB values. Valid question. 

• So will i get the same result on both?

Yes

• edited October 28

DLog-M is nice... with 10-bit footage. :)

Which AFAIK you can't load directly into HitFilm, because DJI uses H.265 for 10-bit DLog-M... sigh. farkin' patent silliness... 

• Im using my MP2 Zoom and my mates MP2 Pro. Will I get consistency if I set mine toD Cinelike and the Pro to D Log