What GPU will work best with HF?

Hi,

I just upgraded my old Z600 HP machine and moved to a new custom PC with an i9 9900K, 32Gb RAM e.t.c

But I have not bought a new GPU to replace the 1050ti. I am having difficulties on choosing a GPU that fit my budget. Specially since I found out that there were different GPU architectures for the most common GPU brands (Nvidia and AMD) and the fact that Hitfilm is GPU based so I must pay attention when buying a GPU for it. I thought that the best options for my budget and setup are the following:

-AMD Radeon RX 5700XT

-Nvidia RTX 2060 SUPER

Both are very equally positioned in terms of performance WHEN PLAYING VIDEOGAMES but have different architectures. Nvidia works with CUDA cores and have RT cores and AI e.t.c and AMD runs a different architecture...

I contacted with the HF support team and they told me that "HitFilm does include hardware decoding for video for NVIDIA cards, which does give them an advantage for some things, since hardware decoding for AMD cards is still in the works and not yet available"  and that HF does not take advantage of CUDA.

It is clear that Nvidia (at the moment) will have better performance in HF because they are optimized for it, but it is known that this AMD card is performing (sometimes) better than the Nvidia one.

What card is better for running HF?

What card would you recommend me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Support pretty much gave the answer. Right NOW, the 2060 Super is probably the better choice if you do a lot of straight video editing - where the hardware acceleration is used to decode mp4 media.

Otherwise, both are fantastic cards, and you'll see a huge speed increase. What else do you use besides Hitfilm? 

• edited August 1

@Triem23;

Thank you very much for your answer.

I mainly use my PC for video editing and VFX. And I use these apps:

-HF pro 12

-Blender (for some 3d scenes)

-Media players for playing video like AVC e.t.c

-Common standart software

There are 2 other questions I have:

It is known that openGL (that is used in hitfilm for almost everything) works best on Nvidia cards.

Is this the case on these cards?

Also, Nvidia is known to have very updated and really cool drivers. Could that affect to HF?

I am looking at the Nvidia web and thought that I could afford a 2070 super. But the price is much higher. Will I see some performance difference between these cards? Is it worth it?

Thanks. 

• I also use davinci resolve :)...

• edited August 1

(Expensive) New machine build finalizing........ specifically for editing / compositing in Hitfilm Pro 13..........

Looking at this 3 fan card:  EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 11G-P4-2487-KR, 11GB GDDR6, iCX2 & RGB LED  for $1459.00

and possibly this 3 fan card:   EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11G-P4-6696-KR 11GB, GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M Video Graphics Card             for $1866.00 

Thoughts on one over the other?  What is $366 bucks buying me in Hitfilm?

best,

.....................john         

• The 2080Ti is faster than the 1080Ti and by your post it is cheaper.

• edited August 1

Thanks.  Yeah... I just found out from talking to some tech folks over at Newegg, the 1080Ti is now discontinued.... and they said the RTX is supposedly "faster" also.  SO ... good stuff.

best,

...........john

• "...and they said the RTX is supposedly "faster" also"

Are you doubting the 2080 Ti is faster than the 1080 Ti?

• No, why do you ask?

best,

.........john

• You're choice of phrasing and quotation could have been an indication of doubt. 

• edited August 1

NormanPCN 
    Oops... sorry.

best,
    ..................................John