Importing Pictures into New Project

When starting a new project and importing jpeg files only, what are the initial settings? Do I need to resize each picture to the same size before importing into HF Pro 12? 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Hitfilm is primarily a compositor (with an editor module). Compositors always load media on a timeline at "real size." After all, I might have an 8k image I want to pan across as a backdrop in a 1080p comp. (Editors, by default, always resize media to fill the video frame.

So, if you want the images just as static, full frame images you can save time in Hitfilm by batch exporting all your media at the size of your final video. 

If you want to pan/zoom/animate you'll want larger images so things don't pixelate. 

In Hitfilm you have multiple ways to resize images. Right-clicking media on the timeline and selecting a "Fit To" option is the easiest way to scale to your video frame. You can also set a scale in the layer/track controls for the clip. 

One other thing you'll want to know. In the File>Options Menu is a control for setting the default length of a still on a timeline in frames. Let's say you're doing a slideshow and want every image on screen for six seconds and your video will be 30 frames/sec. You can change the default length from 150 frames to 180 before you edit so your photos all drop on the timeline at the correct duration. 

• Thank you for the tips. I’ll have to play around with some of the settings you mentioned.